Your question
Closed

3 displays with Eyefinity not working concurrently

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 11, 2012 2:25:18 PM

Referencing the Eyefinity setup guide thread:

HugoStiglitz said:
How to Connect your Cards.

NOTE: If you have monitor/s with native display port support it is always the best solution to connect as many as you can using that DSP connection. If you have at least 1 connected via DSP (for a 3 monitor group) you DO NOT require the adapters linked in this guide.

Most 6xxx Cards have the following connectors

2x DVI
1x HDMI
2x Mini DSP

Reccomended to connect in the following way

Card DVI ---------------------------------------------------> DVI Monitor
Card DVI ---------------------------------------------------> DVI Monitor
Card MINI DSP --> Mini DSP to DVI Active Adapter ------>DVI Monitor

See link below for adapter
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814999034

Hello, I hope it is ok to reopen this and post. First, great post, it's very informative. Second, I'm hoping to get clarification if my setup is correct.

I have:
1 XFX 6870 HD-687A-ZDFC - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
2 ASUS VH242H monitors - www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682423605...
1 SONY KDL-40XBR9
1 mDP to DVI adapter - referenced above

I cannot get the 3 of these to detect at once. I was under the assumption that as long as I used the active mDP adapater I could connect 3 devices at once, regardless of them being the same 3 monitors. This so far doesn't seem to be the case and I'm not sure if it is the connection types I'm choosing, setup is wrong through Eyefinity, or something else. My connections are:
ASUS -> DVI port
ASUS -> mDP to DVI adapter -> mDP
SONY - > HDMI

I can see all 3 displays through AMD Vision Engine Control Center's Desktop Management, however when I try to extend/enable the TV it tells me "To extend the desktop, a desktop or display must be disabled." Thus allowing me to only have 2 of 3 active. Shouldn't the HDMI and mDP be able to run concurrently? If not would using an DVI-HDMI adapter, like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168..., solve my problem?

Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks.
May 11, 2012 3:12:45 PM

I don't believe you should be using the HDMI port with multiple monitors , the card you have has two DVI and two display ports so you need to be using those. If the Sony doesn't have DVI or display port then use the DVI to HDMI adaptor so you can be using the DVI port.
Score
May 11, 2012 3:41:42 PM

Thanks, inzone. Yeah I was thinking that was gonna be my problem. Hopefully it is just that simple of a fix.
Score
Related resources
May 11, 2012 3:46:00 PM

There have been a lot of similar post here with people connecting multiple monitors and using the HDMI cable as one of the connections and you would naturaly think there would be nothing wrong with that but for some reason it doesn't work and you have to leave that port out. Thos epeople with only one DVI port have to get the DVI splitter adaptor.
Score
May 11, 2012 3:58:20 PM

Have you tried using the other DVI connection. There were some cards that although they have DVI and HDMI connections, its truly only one connection internally with 2 headers. Maybe you're using the DVI port that is the same as the HDMI port. Just something to try. I run Eyefinity using HDMI (5850 and now a 7950) and havent had any issues. Right now I'm running 4 monitors, 2 display port, 1 hdmi, 1 dvi.
Score
May 11, 2012 4:02:47 PM

not to confuse the situation but i have no problem running eyefinity using hdmi ports...

which one wont show???

try this....

first use the disp port one.....

extend desktop in the control panel

apply..... adjust pos. as needed...

extend desktop to next mon.....

adj. position as needed......

ive had better luck doing this from the windows control panel than CCC......
Score
May 11, 2012 4:20:59 PM

AdioKIP said:
Have you tried using the other DVI connection. There were some cards that although they have DVI and HDMI connections, its truly only one connection internally with 2 headers. Maybe you're using the DVI port that is the same as the HDMI port. Just something to try. I run Eyefinity using HDMI (5850 and now a 7950) and havent had any issues. Right now I'm running 4 monitors, 2 display port, 1 hdmi, 1 dvi.

At work now so I'm not at my PC but here's a pic of what ports the cables are currently connected to. Both DVI connections work together if I just want 2 monitors, but I unplugged the one that is on the same row as the HDMI port because I assumed those wouldn't work both together like you said because it is only one connection on 2 headers. Am I correct or am I using the wrong DVI port?

My main hope to use the HDMI port was so I could pass the audio from PC to TV.

Score
May 11, 2012 4:29:49 PM

Ok might be a stupid question but on the mini display port are you using an adaptor or does your monitor have a navtive mDP plug? If you are using an adaptor are you using an ACTIVE adaptor or a PASSIVE adaptor? If you are going to run 3 or more monitors you HAVE to use an active adaptor on the mDP. I went thru the same issues and I am now running 4 monitors, 1 DVI, 1 HDMI, and 2 mDP (using this adaptor http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004071ZXA/ref=oh_deta...)
Score
May 11, 2012 4:40:33 PM

xllsargellx said:
Ok might be a stupid question but on the mini display port are you using an adaptor or does your monitor have a navtive mDP plug? If you are using an adaptor are you using an ACTIVE adaptor or a PASSIVE adaptor? If you are going to run 3 or more monitors you HAVE to use an active adaptor on the mDP. I went thru the same issues and I am now running 4 monitors, 1 DVI, 1 HDMI, and 2 mDP (using this adaptor http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004071ZXA/ref=oh_deta...)

If you read the original post you would know that he said he was using an active mini display port adaptor.

"I cannot get the 3 of these to detect at once. I was under the assumption that as long as I used the active mDP adapater I could connect 3 devices at once, regardless of them being the same 3 monitors. This so far doesn't seem to be the case and I'm not sure if it is the connection types I'm choosing, setup is wrong through Eyefinity, or something else"
Score
May 11, 2012 5:05:01 PM

inzone said:
If you read the original post you would know that he said he was using an active mini display port adaptor.

"I cannot get the 3 of these to detect at once. I was under the assumption that as long as I used the active mDP adapater I could connect 3 devices at once, regardless of them being the same 3 monitors. This so far doesn't seem to be the case and I'm not sure if it is the connection types I'm choosing, setup is wrong through Eyefinity, or something else"

I did read the first post just missed that part sorry about that.

As for the adaptor you are using it may be the issue. After everything that I have read and with dealing with XFX tech support you need to use an ATI Certified adaptor (like the one I posted a link to) or you may run into issues when trying to use Eyefinity. Not saying that no others will work but this is going off of the tech support at XFX and reading a bunch of articles when I was having the same issues.
Score

Best solution

May 11, 2012 5:20:25 PM

pretty sure the dvi you've highlighted is the "dual" dvi......have you tried the other one???

another idea would be that audio passes through dp as well.....just use that one on the tv and the other 2 on dvi's.....

and i belileve it's 3 lines on 2 dvi's....on single one dual

hmmmm....well....mixxed news for you..

my asus 6970 dcuII cards put out audio on the dp.....

bad news tho......not hdcp.....wont play blue ray unless i hook it up w/hdmi.....
May 11, 2012 5:26:43 PM

badtaylorx said:
pretty sure the dvi you've highlighted is the "dual" dvi......have you tried the other one???

Didn't get the chance when fiddling this morning. I'll move the DVI down but I'm still not sure if that DVI port and HDMI can run together. If that doesn't work and it just turns out to be the adapter I'll feel stupid because I saw the Accell one but figured w/ the StarTech they were the same so it should work and I could save $6 while still getting a 2 year warranty, doh :whistle: 
Score
May 11, 2012 5:38:37 PM

you know what they say.....

when you assume...

you make an "ASS" outa "U" and "ME"
Score
May 11, 2012 5:39:48 PM

You CAN use 1 DVI and the HDMI but you CANNOT use 2 DVI and the HDMI for whatever reason. I know this becasue on my last card the XFX HD5750 I ran into the same issue when tring to set up 3 monitors but then I got one of those active adaptors and used the mDP and the 2 DVI ports and it worked fine. Anyway I hope it is something as easy as changing the DVI to the other port, good luck and let us know what happens :) 
Score
May 12, 2012 4:49:08 AM

So it was just me being noobish and having it in the wrong the DVI. Came home, switched it to the main port and voila, 3 screens at once. WOOT! Thanks to everyone for the help. So happy to finally have my setup done.
Score
May 12, 2012 4:49:23 AM

Best answer selected by thrice.
Score
May 12, 2012 3:01:43 PM

happy to help

bTx
Score
May 12, 2012 5:28:19 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!