Sign in with
Your question

Sapphire 7950 driver problems!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 11, 2012 3:03:05 PM

What a nightmare. This is my first build, and I've been "building" it for a month now. Once I had all the parts I put it together, but for a full month I've not been able to use it. At all. I don't even try to overclock, I don't run anything demanding but it freezes, stalls and bluescreens constantly. So frustrating I want to cry.

This PC should be able to annihilate any task set before it. But instead, anything more than safe mode causes chaos. I'm pretty sure I've got a bad card.
May 11, 2012 3:16:55 PM

Quote:
What a nightmare. This is my first build, and I've been "building" it for a month now. Once I had all the parts I put it together, but for a full month I've not been able to use it.

Hello,

So you've been building for a month now, yet you haven't been able to use it for a month? Was that supposed to be a joke?

We need your complete system specifications. To even begin to help you out.
m
l
May 11, 2012 3:19:15 PM

Details other than "my computer doesn't work" would be helpful.
m
l
Related resources
May 11, 2012 3:20:14 PM

when booting press f8 and select the last option to disable restart upon error (im talking about the bsod)
when you get the bsod again write down the error number (0x000xxx). With that you can look up the error number and see what it means. Troubleshooting 101..
m
l
May 11, 2012 3:26:57 PM

need your setup. Everything top to bottom.

Depending on the setup you might want to run some stress tests one at a time.

Example, i would start with a RAM stress test. See if you can get the error, freezing thing to happen on command.

Then move to CPU stress test.

then to a GPU test...... and keep going.

Go down to the bare minimum hardware so you can figure out what is going on.
m
l
May 14, 2012 2:24:36 PM

Hi, i had the same problem i installed the xfx 7950 card in a brand new build and i got bsod constantly varying from 5 minutes to a few hours. The minidump indicated a driver issue.

After trying the card in another box for 3 days i found no problems. The conclusion is that it must be the driver which is what i thought it would be. I already tried the driver found on the xfx cd, which i found to be the same version on the xfx website however the driver on the cd crashed and did not install properly, but the driver on the website did install correctly. i had tried this before trying the card in another machine. I re-installed the xfx card in my new machine and searched for an older "stable" driver . I was able to download an older driver from

"http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/RC11Driver.a..."

i ran the machine for 24 hours yesterday and 8 hours today NO BLUE SCREEN. Hopefully the problem is resolved. if things change i will re-post.

If i was offered an older driver by xfx at the beginning i would have been productive 8 days ago. Rather than the "have you tried turning it on and off again support approach". The support was pretty useless it was by chance that i found a link to an older driver that i managed to resolve my driver problems.

Then today i found that nvidia released its 670 for the same price i paid for the 7950 with better performance than the 7970 so i'm not very happy.

hopefully this will resolve your problem, if you haven't already.
m
l
!