Graphics card Q

After responses to previous Q's ... a new build is on the cards

Thinking of Intel i5 3570k (3.4G) IvyBridge

What I'm unsure of is these chips have Graphics on-board, (HD 4000 graphics set)

Do I still need to get a separate graphics card ? ... if so are the on-board graphics just not used, or does it process what it can and pass rest to graphics card.
12 answers Last reply
More about graphics card
  1. Well, the onboard graphics are good for basic needs, but for gaming, an external card is a neccesity.
  2. Depends on what you want to do with the computer. If you plan on playing games, then yes, you really want a discrete card. In that case, the HD Graphics inside the CPU won't be used. If you just want a web browsing machine, then the integrated graphics are fine.
  3. I am building a new PC as my current one struggles with HD video editing ... processor flat-lines. I don't do gaming.
    I use a 22" monitor at 1680 x 1050

Thinking of build being Intel i5 3750 (3.4G) on an ASUS P8Z77-V Pro Motherboard

What would be a good match for a Graphics card ...
    seen Radeon HD 7770 ... or nVidia Geoforce GTX560 if I use that as a guide for max price I would pay .. what card would you recommend ?
  4. Those are not good for editing. I would say a 560Ti, which is much better, or even a 560 Ti 448, if you're doing HD video editing. If they're out of your price-range wait a bit. Sometimes, they drop to ~$150.
  5. Thnx.
    Can you educate me why the other choices would not be suitable for editing, keen to increase my understanding.
  6. They are weak. The gaming bechmarks tell the story.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7770-7750-benchmark,3135.html

^^^TH compares the 7750 and 7770 to 560Ti and 560.

The 560 certainly isn't bad, and my recommendations:

7770<560<560 Ti
    I say to wait, because the 560 Ti does regularly drop in price to ~$150.
  7. which software are you editing in?
  8. I typically use Sony Vegas HD 11 for main work, also VideoDub for specific manipulation ... chroma correction, sharpening, colour correction etc.
    Use VLC as the player.
    2 other apps frequently used are VideoOptimzer2 and SolveigVideo Splitter.
  9. obsama1 said:
    Those are not good for editing. I would say a 560Ti, which is much better, or even a 560 Ti 448, if you're doing HD video editing. If they're out of your price-range wait a bit. Sometimes, they drop to ~$150.

Notice that the GTX560 is also sold by MSI and cheaper than the nVidea card.

Is MSI a reputable brand, good thing with nVidea & ASUS is being able to get support, driver updates etc.

I have never come across MSI before.
  10. All the cards are exactly the same. You get updates directly from nVidia. MSI is right up there with ASUS. They are very reputable.
  11. Thnx ..
  12. No problem.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Graphics Cards Graphics Systems Product