What should i get the I5 2500K or the I5 3570K??

harveyosborne

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012
Hi there i am making a pc in about 1/2 months and i was looking at my specs on the pc i will get but then i thought about something,

specs are
CPU = Intel I5-2500k
GPU = Asus GTX 670 Direct CU II 2GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card
RAM = G.skill 2133 x2 4gb ram (8GB)
power Supply = powercool 750W modular psu
case =Antec eleven hundread
CPU cooler = corsair H60 water cooler
MOBO = Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3-B3
HDD = x2 1TB western digital hard drives

i was wondering if i send back the MOBO and get this one = Asus P8Z77-V LX
its a z77 chipset and if i got that one i could then get the I5-3570k instead, i want this pc to be great at gaming get over 50 FPS on BF3 or boarderlands 2 on max setting's
while recording gameplay with fraps but i heard that the 3570k is faster a rendering video's than the 2500k , but also i find people saying that the 2500k is better for Ocing and gaming.
also this is going to be my first PC build
also the cooler is the Noctua NH-D14 better for this sort of build for cooling than the H60?
any advice on this would be a great help :D .

thanks.

xtreme5

Distinguished
2500k better only in OC'ing not in entire performance, 3570k has more efficiency + good overclockable, when using a good cooling.
2500k is still good for Gaming but I recomment 3570k for more better result.

When you compare the Intel® Core™ i5-2500K and the Intel Core i5-3570K on performance when overclocking think of them as a wash, they even out. The Intel Core i5-3570K is about 6% faster at the same clock speed as the Intel Core i5-2500K but it gets hotter when you are overclocking. So you are most likely not going to be able overclock as high.

Most likely you will be able to overclock the Intel Core i5-2500K to around 4.5GHz or 4.6GHz and you would only be able to reach around 4.3GHz with the Intel Core i5-3570K but due to that 6% improvement in performance it would run about the same as the Intel Core i5-2500K does at 4.6GHz.

So by moving to the Z77 chipset and the Intel Core i5-3570K you will also pick up PCI-E 3.0 that you wouldn’t be able to reach with the Intel Core i5-2500K. While not much right now will even touch that it is still nice to have waiting for something to use it.

The Corsair H60 is a nice quiet cooler but it isn't the equal of the Noctua NH-D14. You would have to be up to around the Corsair H100 to reach the performance of the NH-D14.

While there is some improvement from DDR 3 2133 it really isnt work the extra cost just go with DDR 3 1600.

I don't know Powercool PSU (Power Supply Unit) but I would advise that you look PSU from a manufacturer with a reputation for quality. Corsair, Antec, SeaSonic, XFX, and PC Power and Cooling are solid PSUs.

excella1221

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
+1 to xtreme5.

There is also little point in getting a CPU that's a generation behind and the cost difference is like $10.

Z68 boards are also, weird enough, more expensive than the much more feature-updated Z77 chipset.

A 2500k OC'd to 4.7GHz is about the same as a 3570K @ 4.4-4.5GHz.

The NH-D14 would outperform the H60. Closed loop water coolers aren't that great and are rarely recommended.

Some thoughts for you:

1) A 2500K is fine, and should cost less. A 3570K is about 10% more efficient per clock, so if the price differential is not great, get the 3570K.

2) Sandy and ivy bridge do not benefit from ram faster than 1600.
Read this: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-scaling-choosing-the-best-ddr3

3) Is powercolor a quality psu?? I don't know.
Don't take a chance with a poor quality psu. Pick a tier 1 or 2 unit from this list:
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx
A GTX670 only needs a 500w psu. A 620w psu will run a card as good as a GTX690.
Modular is nice in a small case, but in yours, it is not necessary. Don't pay a big premium for modular.

4) The Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3-B3 will support 3570K with the current bios level.
As long as it is fresh stock, you should be OK. But, the newer Z77 based motherboards usually cost no more and have some other advantages which you may not use.

5) If you are on a budget, a cm hyper212 @$30 will do the job, at least for a conservative overclock.
Otherwise, a noctua NH-D14 or Phanteks is about as good as it gets, and will cool just as well in your case as a all-in-one liquid cooler.
Air cooling will also be more reliable and quieter.

6) Take the time now to download and read, cover to cover, the manuals for the case and motherboard. You will learn much.

6) I suggest you buy a 120gb or larger SSD for the os and some games. Use a single 1tb drive for large video files.

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
Lose the powercool there is a reason its 750W model is cheaper than a decent brands 450W and it's not because the people that make it are nice and want to give you a warm fuzzy feeling.

If you are on a budget http://www.cclonline.com/product/60912/OCZ-ZS650W-UK/Power-Supplies/OCZ-ZS-Series-650W-Power-Supply-80-Plus-Bronze/PSU0244/ that is more than enough power for your build, well reviewed and reasonably priced.

My advice would be to get the 3570K. Sure you can't easily achieve 5GHZ but who really even needs 4.6 these days.. i got my 3570K at 4.4GHZ 24/7 and validated on a ASRock Extreme4. All powered on a Corsair TX 750 watt. but since your only using 1 card for now and maybe another later I'd advice a 650 watt power supply.. That extra bit of power makes the difference when overclocking.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006

What's so weird about the z68 boards? I have the Asus z68-pro-gen3 board and it's fantastic.

OP: The PSU's listed by a poster are the ones you should pick from. I personally love Corsair (HX series).

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006

Oh. Was just curious because I was waiting for the 3770 to drop. 3770k dropped.

harveyosborne

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012
thank's for the help on this, but the powersupply what would you recommend also i aready have the ram.....and motherboard :( well i could send the MOBO back and get the z77 asus one i said at the beginning.
the link to where i would get it = http://www.ebuyer.com/363228-asus-p8z77-v-lx-socket-1155-vga-dvi-hdmi-8-channel-audio-atx-p8z77-v-lx

so i think ill get the noctua NH-D14 for its performance
would this SSD be ok its 55 pounds http://www.ebuyer.com/225416-ocz-120gb-vertex-2e-ssd-oczssd2-2vtxe120g

well thanks for the help so far :D

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006

I wouldn't skimp on the PSU, this one is great:

CORSAIR HX Series HX850 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

SSD: Samsung 830 128GB is a great one. I have it on my system. (Desktop kit). It comes with the tray as well.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Bronze makes me weary.

If you can, try to get one of the HX's. Modular is nice because it takes away the clutter also. If Corsair is too expensive, try PC Cooling, Antec, or Seasonic. Try gold or even silver but gold and higher are the best.

My 850 HX has a 7-year warranty and has plenty of cables. Whatever I don't need, I put away :) It's very quiet.

Check also what you are connecting (MB, video card, etc) and make sure the PSU has the necessary plugs you require.

i5-2500
Asus Gen3-z68 Pro MB
GTX570 MSI OC/PE edition
Auzentech XFI sound card
Corsair 850HX Modular PSU
16GB Corsair ddr3-1600 RAM
Samsung 830 128GB SSD (WIndows 7 and drivers)
WD Velociraptor 300GB for games
Logitech 5.1 Digital speakers
Logitech Gaming mouse/keyboard
CM HAF 932 Full tower
CM Hyper212+ heatsink and fan

+1 this is best answer right here.

harveyosborne

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012
well here is what my pc build it right now

CPU = i5 3570k
GPU =asus geforce gtx 670
PSU = XFX 750W XXX Edition Modular PSU
Case = antec eleven hundread
HSF = noctua NH-D14
OS = windows 7 64bit home priemium
RAM = Gskill 2133 mhz 8gb (i already have it so no point in sending it back :D)
Speakers = Sweex USB 2.0 Speaker Set - Black/Red
optical drive = Sony AD-7280S-0B 24x Internal SATA DVD Multi Writer Black Bare
monitor = Samsung S24B300BL 23.6 inch
HDD = x2 Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB (might get 60gb SSD for OS)

and yh that is what i want to get

harveyosborne

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012
but is the PSU i have the Powercool one is it good enough for my build? because i no a guy who makes pc's for gamer's around where i live and he told me to get the powercool because he think's its fine for my build

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012

Will it work? Sure.. Will it last and never damage your other components? Maybe..
Look at it this way. You have one guy (that you know) saying it'll be fine who builds gaming computers.
You also have 7 different guys (here) that say go with a trusted brand (Corsair, Antec, SeaSonic, XFX, and PC Power and Cooling are solid PSUs.*quoting our Intel enthusiast) You can go with either or. Both will work. If it were mine or someone I was building for I'd go with one of the suggested brands here. Better safe then sorry. The psu can end up being the most important part of a build since a bad one can destroy every piece of your rig.

Stick with the xfx you have listed ;)

Power Supplies are one of the most common items to go bad on a computer. When they go bad there can be a couple things that happen. Sometimes they just stop working, but sometimes they start to lose power and they you dont understand what the problem is because some components can start acting like they are having problems.

One person I know ended up replacing half the components in his system before he figured out that the problems he was having was caused by the PSU.

The last option is that you have a extreme failure on the PSU and it can damage other components, this is rare but it isnt unheard of.

To help you out here are a couple resources that you might find useful when it comes to PSUs.

This will help you find the base level of power that you will need. It is important to understand that you are going to want to add 25% or more to this amount in order to make sure that you have enough power for your system now and into the future. http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

This next link is for the Tiered Power Supply List. This list will help you understand the quality of the PSU that you are looking at. http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/1/323050/ShowThread.aspx

In the end any PSU out there might work and work well for a long time but overall the better the unit the better chance that you won't have any issues.

That is a great power supply!QUOTE Conclusions

"Corsair HX750W is an impressive power supply, being to this date one of the power supplies with the highest efficiency that we’ve tested to date, easily beating all other 750 W power supplies we’ve tested, including those also based on a DC-DC design on the secondary like Antec TruePower New.

Not only the DC-DC design proved to be superior, but Corsair/CWT decided to use only high-end components inside this unit, which features only Japanese capacitors and solid caps on the DC-DC converters in charge of the + 5 V and +3.3 V outputs.

We could also pull up to 910 W at 46º C from this unit, which is really impressive.

The number of cables available is perfect for a 750 W product (12 SATA power connectors, eight peripheral power connectors and four six/eight-pin video card power connectors), allowing you to build a very high-end system with two very high-end video cards (more video cards are supported if you use adapters to convert standard peripheral power plugs into video card power connectors).

The seven-year warranty – losing only to BFG’s lifetime warranty – is also another reason to pick this product over competitors.

Corsair HX750W is a very good choice for users looking for a 750 W power supply with one of the highest efficiencies around."

Source: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Corsair-HX750W-Power-Supply-Review/775

GoldenI

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
The Sandy Bridge line has higher voltage requirements than the Ivy Bridge... but, is better with overclocking. However, the Ivy Bridge has lower wattage, and is excellent with overclocking if you have a great aftermarket cooler...

I would say go with the i5 3570K.