Sign in with
Your question

Is my graphics card ruined

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 11, 2012 3:43:09 PM

hey there i have ran into an issue I was browsing on the Internet and my screen froze so I turned it off the computer and started it up and there's nothing on the screen " no signal " the computers on because the fans are running the front light is on there's no beep at the start up does that mean the graphics card is ruined it has no fan only a heats ink and runs at 50 degrees Celsius I can feel heat from it but not as much heat and I have no working VGA cables to use the on board graphics to see if the problems the graphics card im using the "sapphire ati radeon hd 5450 (1gb)" i know it sucks but i would like to know if thats the problem thanks ;) 

More about : graphics card ruined

a c 253 U Graphics card
May 11, 2012 3:59:01 PM

The best thing for you to do is to get a hold of a vga cable to determine if it's the video card or the monitor that's the problem. When you start your computer there is a post beep of just one beep that signals to the person turning it on that the bios has passed the four checks that it makes for the computer to continue and load Windows. If one of the four things it checks fails then there is a series of beeps ( Kind of like morse code) to let you know what failed. The parts it checks are , cpu, ram , video card and hdd. If the video card failsd the check either because it's dead or defective or there's no video card then a certian number of beeps are given to tell you that. So by you hearing no beeps is unusual and it might even mean there's something wrong with the motherboard.

I would shut down and unplug the power from the wall socket and remove the cmos battery from the motherboard , then push the power button to release any power still in the board and wait 10 minutes. Then connect everything back up and boot the computer and see if that resolves the issue.
m
l
May 11, 2012 4:09:12 PM

It's not the monitor or in my case "tv" because i play the ps3 with the same hdmi cable it gives a signal and usually there's 1 beep than the bios will load but after i started up again theres no beeps anymore but I'll have to get my hands on a VGA cord tomorrow
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 11, 2012 4:12:57 PM

Well I really doubt a card would just "die" like that.
m
l
a c 253 U Graphics card
May 11, 2012 4:13:48 PM

As I had said if there are no beeps at all then that's unusual and you do need that post beep for the VGA cable to be of use. At least you have ruled out the monitor/tv as being the problem. Before getting the VGA cable try the shutdown procedure I posted.
m
l
May 11, 2012 4:16:58 PM

First test with a dvi cable on ur monitor/ tv-- taking input from ur card. if still no display

unplug ur card... see if the mobo gives our any display...

if yes... its ur card...

if not .... well its something else.. start with inzones steps above :) 
m
l
May 11, 2012 4:40:04 PM

I took video card out powered up still no beeps :(  I'm starting to think it is the motherboard and I took the ram out and booted up ther was continuios beeps
m
l
a c 253 U Graphics card
May 11, 2012 4:51:06 PM

So now with the ram out there are continuous beeps and not a series of beeps. In the motherboards manual there is a section that gives you the beep codes and what each one means. Like three long and two short would be video card and four long and three short would be ram , it's codes like that so it lets you know what to look at for the problem. Cintinuous beeping is not a code. Try putting the ram back and diconnecting the hdd and see if you get any beeps.
Have you tried the shutdown yet? I only ask that because you haven't mentioned it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 11, 2012 4:54:22 PM

This is where hanging onto an old craptacular video card would have come in handy for testing. I bought a 5970 listed as 'dead' locally for $50. I only bought it for the artic cooling extreme cooler that was installed on it. It had no display at all but widows booted just fine as you can tell by the 'chimes' you hear in the background when windows loads. Any chance your computer has another pci-e x16 slot you can try? If you do not get any POST beep errors with no video card installed then the problem is more than likely the motherboard. Unless it has onboard video that re-enabled when you pulled the 5450 out.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 11, 2012 4:55:52 PM

The point of the 5970 story was to say that even a dead gpu will not nescessarily cause POST beep errors.
m
l
May 11, 2012 5:16:05 PM

alrobichaud said:
This is where hanging onto an old craptacular video card would have come in handy for testing. I bought a 5970 listed as 'dead' locally for $50. I only bought it for the artic cooling extreme cooler that was installed on it. It had no display at all but widows booted just fine as you can tell by the 'chimes' you hear in the background when windows loads. Any chance your computer has another pci-e x16 slot you can try? If you do not get any POST beep errors with no video card installed then the problem is more than likely the motherboard. Unless it has onboard video that re-enabled when you pulled the 5450 out.
Well I have a ati radeon x1300 that works it would be better testing another graphics Card than onboard graphics because I don't have another pci-e slot
m
l
a c 253 U Graphics card
May 11, 2012 5:31:02 PM

Take out the video card that you have and put in the x1300 card and see if you get the post beep. If nothing then take out that card and try thr onboard with a vga cable.
m
l
May 11, 2012 5:40:12 PM

Put the card in still no post beep, I'll have to get a VGA cord and try it out -.-
m
l
a c 253 U Graphics card
May 11, 2012 5:46:16 PM

With each thing you try you can eliminate a part that is defective and hopefuly get to the part that is. If with the video card out of the slot and the ram in thier slots you get no beeps then it could be the motherboard. When a part is defective and stops working it could be at any time , either when the computer is off or on or whatever your doing on the computer.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 11, 2012 5:50:05 PM

If you have tried a different card in the same slot and it does not work then I think it is safe to say that the motherboard has some problems.
m
l
May 11, 2012 6:49:25 PM

alrobichaud said:
If you have tried a different card in the same slot and it does not work then I think it is safe to say that the motherboard has some problems.
yeah I have tried different graphics cards just havn't connected them yet need a VGA cord
m
l
!