VeNoM56k

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012
Hi people,
So i bought a pc a while back for gaming and am now looking to upgrade. It was a custom built pc but i don't know much in the way of hardware so was looking for some help. My system atm is

CPU: Phenom II X4 980 BE (with a titan fenrir evo extreme heatpipe cpu cooler)

Graphics Card: GTX 560ti

Motherboard: ASUS M5A97

RAM: 16BG Kingston HyperX Genesis (1600Mhz)

I think thats all i need to post. Anyway, I want to upgrade and was thinking of buying a GTX 670(I run a dual monitor setup and 2gb on the 670 would be good for it). Would i be ok with my current setup, or would i be bottlenecked by the CPU or something else?

I don't mind spending the money to upgrade if i have to, just that i don't know if I need to.

My CPU is stock atm as i don't know how to overclock.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2fast4thetown_down

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012
That looks fine as is but if you are ready than here is what i would do
CPU- i7 3820
GPU-690
MOBO-ASRock X79 Extreme4-M Socket 2011 X79 mATX Intel Motherboard
Ram- 16 gb of g.skill sniper

build 2

CPU-i5-3570k
GPU-670
Mobo- GA-Z77-UD5H
Ram- 10 gb of corsair vengeance

build 3(budget build

CPU-i3-2120
GPU get a secong 560 ti
Mobo-GA-Z77-UD3H
Ram-same as you have

VeNoM56k

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012
Thanks for the reply.

I'm not actually looking to get a whole new one. Just to upgrade the one i have.

I want to start with getting an EVGA(heard it was best) GTX 670 2GB. I would just like to know if the GTX 670 will run ok in the system i have, or will i need to upgrade something like the CPU to get the full benefit of it?

I believe you will be OK with your current cpu and mb

The graphics card update will let you play at higher detail settings on a high resolution monitor even if it wont hit greatly higher fps . This isnt a big deal since monitors run at 60 Hz which is 60 fps and anything above that never appears to the viewer anyway

Go for it
Personally I'd go for the gigabyte windforce 670

VeNoM56k

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012
Thanks, thats what i was looking for.

Whats the difference between the EVGA and the gigabyte? I heard EVGA were the best brand and were better for cooling, but i dont know much, just what i read. lol

Also just 2 more questions.

With my current 560 ti im running dual monitors, but i usually switch to one when gaming. With the 670 being 2gb, will this mean i will be able to keep both monitors running even while gaming on one?

And one last thing, if i decided to upgrade again(which is likely soon), what part would you recommend upgrading next?

Thanks alot for the reply again, appreciate the help. :)

VeNoM56k

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012
It wouldn't allow me to edit my post above so i have to double post.

So i went and read a few reviews for the Gigabyte windforce 670 and decided to buy one(ordered it a min ago from scan). From what i read the cooling and noise from it are fantastic and the OC gives a nice little boost.

Also how do i select a best answer?(im new here. :p)

VeNoM56k

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012
So I accidently made this thread a discussion. Every time i edit it it says im not allowed to edit it.

Does anyone know of a way that i can change it to a question so i can give a best answer. I want to reward the people who answered.

Also cna anyone answer my last 2 questions?(sorry if im annoying yee, just i dont know much about this stuff. :p)

"With my current 560 ti im running dual monitors, but i usually switch to one when gaming. With the 670 being 2gb, will this mean i will be able to keep both monitors running even while gaming on one?

And one last thing, if i decided to upgrade again(which is likely soon), what part would you recommend upgrading next? "

VeNoM56k

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012
How would these 2 work together?

ASRock Z77 Extreme 4

i5 2500k

Also if i got the above parts, would my ram, PSU and HD work with them aswell.

And one last thing, ive never actually "installed" anything hardware-wise before.

Would i need to get someone to put them in for me or would i be able to do it myself. I dont know how hard it would be but changing the mobo would require fiddling with everything i would think.

Thanks for the replies. :)

VeNoM56k

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012
It wont allow be to edit on this site so ill post here again.

Forgot to say what stuff i had

PSU is a Corsair TX650, HD is a seagate Barricuda 650gb i think, and ram is the Kingston Hyper-X

actually i think a good upgrade would be

an am3+ motherboard

and a higher graphics card

overclocking a black edition is so simple you could do it in 5 minutes and still have time to make coffe

VeNoM56k

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012
Ill probs go with that combo then. Thanks for all the help guys, I do really appreciate it.

I'm sorry I can't select a best answer, every time I try to edit it to a question it says im not allowed. :)

VeNoM56k

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012
I looked it up yesterday so I could do it. It said that because i made the thread as a discussion instead of question thread(I didnt know there was 2 when i made it). It said i could click edit and change it but when i do that and click save it just says "You are not allowed to edit this message!".

If a mod or someone could change it for me or if someone knows why I can't edit it(and a solution) I will gladly do the best answer thing. ATM I cannot. :(, I have thumbs upped all the posts though if that helps.