7970 loses audio support

jdawg742

Honorable
May 11, 2012
I have an issue when I power off my Samsung TV, that I use as my monitor, every time it turns off my audio support for HDMI out from my Diamond 7970. A notification appears from CCC stating that the device is not supported through HDMI audio playback. I then have to plug the HDMI back into the port on to reactivate the audio recognition. Any ideas of why this might be? Recently I just updated CCC that may be why, I am not 100% sure. Also I just built the computer and all drivers are properly installed and fully updated Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. Anyone have any idea?

Hello,

I had a similar issue. However - it's only when my TV is turned off. I had to update to the latest driver package. Basically what happend is when I turn my TV back on - it used to come with a little warning message saying something to the effect of "Your HDMI audio has been disconnected, please select a different audio device" and there was some kind of option that said "reconnect" or "do not show this message again" forgot exactly what it said though.

You could try rolling back to the previous drivers (12.3) I believe. However 12.4 seems to work fine for me now.

You also might want to try setting the HDMI sound as your default device (right click on bottom right sound icon, select playback devices).

Also disable any other sound devices in that same menu.

http://devgurus.amd.com/thread/159106

Seems to be an issue with 12.4 drivers. However mine works fine.

I checked my settings at home - and my CCC detects the exact model (westinghouse) in the Digital flat panel section.

In that same section - can you right click on your TV - and select "use this device for sound".

I turned off my TV - then back on and the sound automatically stays on my TV.

Does your CCC detect your Samsung and list it as samsung? If not, I wonder if your TV is brand new.

Also - I was reading some information about this issue - and it seems apparently updating your TV's firmware sometimes helps. However this can be a tricky affair, as you do not want to do it wrong, or get the wrong firmware.

AFAIK - once I disabled all other sound devices, I never had this issue come up again.

Another thing - for some reason some HDMI cables seem to have issues with sound and video. Have you tried another HDMI cable just to eliminate that it might be an HDMI cable issue?

jdawg742

Honorable
May 11, 2012
Ccc does find my samsung and it is set to automatically default as the audio device. As for the tv it is about a year old now, and i dont really feel like messing with the firmware of the tv. I have yet to try another hdmi, good call. Ill bring one home from work today to test with.

I will also check to make sure i disable all other sources of audio, i use a logitech g35 headset so maybe that is causing some confusion.

jdawg742

Honorable
May 11, 2012
I have reset everything from my BIOS, to my Graphics card, to my TV to the defaults. Nothing. Re-installed CCC, nothing. Switched the HDMI cable, nothing. I could reformat don't want to. I have yet to try rolling it back another version so Ill rough it out and never turn off my TV =P

G

I called AMD support because I wanted to find out first hand was this a Driver issue, settings or hardware. I was told that the 12.4 driver has a bug with the audio. They said use 12.3. It can be found by googling "previous catalyst drivers" Should be the first query in the search. Also if you wait a few days he said the new driver will hopefully be out to fix this issue.