Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Suddenly non working gaming pc

Last response: in Systems
July 4, 2012 9:51:23 PM

Okay this is my first post here hopefully I have chosen the right area to post this in.
New build assembled in november 2011 has worked well until about a month and a half ago when it suddenly powered off without shutting down and would not turn back on. thinking it was the Powersupply I contacted the manufacturer to send it back to be replaced. i had the bright idea to test the problem by changing out the powersupply for a older one i had that was still functional and only 50w weaker, surprise it powered on and it was good also had only connected my primary and secondary HDD and left out my dvd burner and rom. after probably 3 hours or so it again shut off with out shutting down like a powerfailure. so i resolved that it wasnt the Powersupply but something else. so i contacted the Mobo manufacturer and sent it back to them. time passes as i wait to recieve my replacement when i fainally do get it back there was no documents along with it so i had no idea what IF anything they actually did to it so i call and the guy tells me that they performed 3 different tests and that the board was found to be functional so they returned it. so its not the Mobo I am led to believe so i connect everything back up and surprise the computer does not turn on so now i am confused so i troll boards and google search and find a post aabout breadboarding so i give that a go reducing the components to the essentials, powersupply, processor, cpu fan and 1 stick of ram test each slot with the ram and still nothing happens so after all that im down to the proc and the proc fan... so i contact intel and send the proc back they issue me a brand new retail one so ive got a new proc and fan, I install both and BOOM nothing happens I am completely out of ideas i need some other ideas.

asus p7p55 lx
intel i7-870 2.93 ghz
apevia ATX 500W power supply
Patriot Gamer 2 Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
GeForce GTX 550 Ti
SONY Black SATA DVD-ROM Drive
LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Black SATA
a b B Homebuilt system
July 4, 2012 10:25:46 PM

Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums!

You have done some of the obvious things in trouble-shooting!

The problem could be that there is a bad terminal in either the 8-pin or the 24-pin connector causing an intermittent connection. Since it is not the PSU, replace the motherboard.
m
l
July 4, 2012 11:39:38 PM

at this point I have No idea what it could be and its been down for about 2 months now
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
July 5, 2012 3:58:34 AM

So wait a minute, after having the problems, you replaced the PSU and the PC worked fine if I understood your post. It sure sounds to me like you have a PSU problem I would RMA that PSU and invest in a good 550w or 600w PSU from Corsair or Seasonic to stabize your system. If you are trying to breadboard with that old PSU that is most likely it has died. A random shut down sounds like a PSU problem
July 5, 2012 5:16:23 AM

avenseth12 said:
So wait a minute, after having the problems, you replaced the PSU and the PC worked fine if I understood your post. It sure sounds to me like you have a PSU problem I would RMA that PSU and invest in a good 550w or 600w PSU from Corsair or Seasonic to stabize your system. If you are trying to breadboard with that old PSU that is most likely it has died. A random shut down sounds like a PSU problem

i initally thought the same until i switched to a powersupply that i knew was working and the problem seemed to go away but a few hours later the machine shut off again and would not power back on
m
l
July 5, 2012 5:24:21 AM

additionally when i try to turn on the machine, regardless of if its using a screwdriver to contact the two pins or by pressing the power button the cpu fan jerks slightly and the power led flashes briefly then nothing and this only occurs when i first plug in the line from the outlet and switch on the PSU.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 5, 2012 2:24:59 PM

Try using the trouble-shooting guide I posted earlier. It is possible that both the PSUs you have are bad. If not, it is the motherboard (including bad connectors).
m
l
July 12, 2012 5:58:53 AM

so I contacted asus to put in another rma and was surprised to find that their system had it marked as being tested, wrong considering I had the motherboard after they sent it back. the long and short is that they screwed up and are now sending me a replacement board
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 12, 2012 1:06:26 PM

Good news! Hope this fixes the problem!
m
l
July 26, 2012 6:56:36 PM

so today i finally receieved a replacement motherboard and i rebuilt my machine with nothing but hopful optimizim, i hit the switch to power it on on and, nothing happens, so now i will rma the PSU and hope that is the problem
m
l
August 6, 2012 3:53:05 AM

Best answer selected by blackfinix.
m
l
!