Putting the video card on secondary PCI Ex slot impact performance?

AlexVQc

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
I have an Asus Striker II NSE motherboard:
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/Striker_II_NSE/

If you look at the slots on the first gallery photo (from left to right) on my build I have:
PCI 2.2 ---> Empty
PCI Express 2.0 x16 (blue) ---> Empty
PCI 2.2 ---> Empty
PCI Express 1.0 x16 (white) ---> Empty
PCI Express x1 (small white) ---> Empty
PCI Express 2.0 x16 (blue) ---> BFG Geforce GTX 260 OC (replaced by new card)
Audio/PCI Express x1 (small black) ---> Asus Xonar DX 7.1

Since I got a new video card (MSI Geforce GTX 670 OC) today and that I also plan to add an USB 3.0 addon (PCI Express) card in the near future, would it be an issue if I put my video card in the leftmost PCI Express 2.0 x16 (blue) slot?

If I put it in the first (rightmost) PCI Express 2.0 x16 (blue) slot (like it is at the moment), my video card block a PCI Express x1 and the card is also almost in contact with my sound card (no airflow)...

Putting it in the second (leftmost) PCI Express PCI Express 2.0 x16 (blue) slot will be surrounded by (useless unused) PCI 2.2 slots.

Is there any impact on performance if I put my video card on the second PCI Express PCI Express 2.0 x16 (blue) slot?

Thanks!

Solution
You want to use the pci-express 2.0 as it is supposed to have double the bandwidth of pci-e 1.0. It makes no difference which pci-e 2.0 x 16 slot you use. They both will work exaclty the same.

alrobichaud

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
You want to use the pci-express 2.0 as it is supposed to have double the bandwidth of pci-e 1.0. It makes no difference which pci-e 2.0 x 16 slot you use. They both will work exaclty the same.

Solution