Sign in with
Your question
Closed

What PSU to use for my build?

Last response: in Components
November 13, 2012 5:08:36 PM

Hi everyone!
It's getting close to Black Friday and I have already bought a lot of parts because newegg has incredible deals this early, anyway getting to the point,
I will have a XFX R7870 and i5-3570K, and I regular HDD and one Samsung 830 64gb SSD (50$ Today FYI, due to 840 SSD's rolling out) and I won't crossfire so that's out the way
Anyway PSU's are expensive and so I don't know what to get, I know I want modular, and would like to spend 80$ or less, but maximum 100$ (hopefully sales will lower the price later) so if you could recommend any particular one I would cyber hugg you.
Oh last thing, I'd like pretty long cables because I will doing heavy CM in my case.
Thank you i advance!
Have a great day
-Albiob

More about : psu build

a b ) Power supply
November 13, 2012 5:40:14 PM

Wait for black friday or cyber monday. You may find an antec or ocz in the 650-750w range for under $100. Be sure the modular cables will reach your board. On some bottom mount ps cases, the modular cables are barely long enough.
Score

Best solution

a c 135 ) Power supply
November 13, 2012 5:42:54 PM

albiob said:
I won't crossfire so that's out the way

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/7000/78...

Quote:
500W (or greater) power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connector recommended

albiob said:
Anyway PSU's are expensive and so I don't know what to get, I know I want modular, and would like to spend 80$ or less, but maximum 100$

What is it that you think modular will do for you ? Most of the better PSU's are what is called "hybrid modular" .... that is all absolutely necessary cables are hard wired to maximize efficiency and reduce the number of failure points. The rest or "optional" cables are modular.

Full modular provides absolutely no benefit whatsoever since you can not run a system w/o for example a 24 pin MoBo cable ..... and has a downside as the additional connector increases cost, decreases efficiency and introduces a failure point.

To find a decent, semi modular unit from a reputable brand at your budget doesn't leave a lot of choices ..... looking at today's newegg prices, I'd recommend the Antec HCG 620 is $50 after $20 MIR

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The 900 watter was reviewed by jonnyguru here but id caution about reading too many parallels across the line.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...
Related resources
November 13, 2012 7:12:58 PM

Well 2 people have recommended the Antec HCG so I ordered it, wattage I needed, fits the color scheme of my pc build, and it's modular so all good with me, thank you guys so much!
And sorry I did not differentiate between fully modular and hybrid. Wouldn't matter to me either as long as it has some modular cables for cleanup if I don't use them.
Thank you again so much.
Score
November 13, 2012 7:13:00 PM

Best answer selected by Albiob.
Score
!