Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Computer for JUST Pandora/browsing?

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Computer
  • Dell
  • Pandora
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
Share
July 4, 2012 10:49:26 PM

Okay, my dad has a super old dell desktop (P4) and it's on it's last leg. So I'm looking for a replacement and wanted to know the best solution.

Here are the requirements:

- Has to be able to browse internet, just check email, PANDORA, and youtube.
- Very low price, looking for as cheap as I can get. Under $100 is preferred.


Here is the challenge, it will be stored in our shed that reaches highs of 105F and low as freezing in the winter.

The old dell has been able to survive that for the last 5 or so years so hopefully we can find a solution.


I saw an all in one board that's similar to a raspberry pi for $50 that would work. Just wanted to know if there was other solution.


Thanks for all and any help!

More about : computer pandora browsing

July 4, 2012 11:07:41 PM

magruder13 said:
Okay, my dad has a super old dell desktop (P4) and it's on it's last leg. So I'm looking for a replacement and wanted to know the best solution.

Here are the requirements:

- Has to be able to browse internet, just check email, PANDORA, and youtube.
- Very low price, looking for as cheap as I can get. Under $100 is preferred.


Here is the challenge, it will be stored in our shed that reaches highs of 105F and low as freezing in the winter.

The old dell has been able to survive that for the last 5 or so years so hopefully we can find a solution.


I saw an all in one board that's similar to a raspberry pi for $50 that would work. Just wanted to know if there was other solution.


Thanks for all and any help!


Is he comfortable with using a non-Windows OS? Something like Linux ect?

It is doable, but it is a pain to do it. Every shipping charge needs to be considered,
and every MIR sent. Also need to monitor TechBargains.com as well as Slickdeals.com
July 4, 2012 11:17:52 PM

if you want the system to even last like a pentium 4, you should blow around 550-700 dollars. the pentium 4 was able to last as chip manufactuers back then only updated their stuff every 2 years

id get something like this

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/boJD
Related resources
July 4, 2012 11:48:23 PM

TheBigTroll said:
if you want the system to even last like a pentium 4, you should blow around 550-700 dollars. the pentium 4 was able to last as chip manufactuers back then only updated their stuff every 2 years

id get something like this

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/boJD


True. I am surprised the person used a P4 for this long.
On the other hand I recall using a P4 with Windows XP years back and it performed nicely considering its age (even back then).

That parts list has a few overpriced items that I would advise waiting on deals/coupons for if every dollar does count for this person.
July 4, 2012 11:50:28 PM

My mom's computer uses P4. :p 
July 5, 2012 12:02:40 AM

azeem40 said:
My mom's computer uses P4. :p 


What OS? I could easily imagine using one with a Linux OS nowadays.
Thing is you can now pick up CPUs like the G630 Celeron for $40+. :lol: 
July 5, 2012 12:05:08 AM

Windows XP lol. She doesn't like Windows 7. :p 
July 5, 2012 12:25:30 AM

i have a P3 in my house somewhere. not to mention one of those althlon 64 single core running at a break neck speed of 800 mhz (i think.. need to check)
July 5, 2012 12:37:04 AM

SingingThroughTheStorm said:
Is he comfortable with using a non-Windows OS? Something like Linux ect?

It is doable, but it is a pain to do it. Every shipping charge needs to be considered,
and every MIR sent. Also need to monitor TechBargains.com as well as Slickdeals.com


If its Ubuntu I would see no problem. He already has a monitor, keyboard, speakers and mouse. This is just a replacement since his desktop is on it's last leg.


July 5, 2012 12:51:39 AM

Cool. I am unsure how good Linux performance is on Sandy Bridge at this current date and time though.
The G530 stands at probably one of the cheapest CPUs you can get brand new for the money at the moment.
It would be around 5X-6X faster than the Pentium 4. :p 
July 5, 2012 1:37:00 AM

Quote:
Comparing the price of a Netbook (Full system) that regularly show on dealnew.com for around that price, to just a $40 processor? No mobo w/ on-board video, ram, PSU or HDD included in that $40?

Care to explain further, please? I have a feeling I am missing something.

We are taking about streaming music, youtube, internet and e-mail here. The Netbook could be kept and used inside the house, bypassing the extreme temperatures. Why performance difference can their be that an average user would notice.

Even if it can't out preform a G530, it can still do better then that P4.

Also, OP, they have a deal every now and then with a regular laptop for around the same price.


You have a point about the pros of a netbook.

The reason I gave just the price of the CPU is to give an idea of the price breakdown. Here are some recent deals:
Antec case and PSU Combo: $30 AR
320GB HDD: $50
ECS H61: $15 AR
Pareema 2 X 2GB Ram: $18.xx
G530: $40 or so
July 5, 2012 1:58:49 AM

Quote:
That is more understandable. Thank you for taking the time to explain.


No problem. :D 

YOu do have a point about Netbooks not having to be left in extreme conditions.
I am unsure if below freezing temperatures affects desktops. Don't think I have ever tried it. :pt1cable: 
July 5, 2012 2:03:30 AM

actually, the p4 and those atom processors are roughly the same only that the p4 uses 10x more power
July 5, 2012 4:47:38 AM

Quote:
After thinking about it, you may need to add a monitor to that. A P4 would more then likely use a VGA port for the monitor. The Mobo you suggested uses an HDMI I think.

Where a Netbook/Laptop would come with one. :D 


ECS $15 board supports both VGA and HDMI.
!