Sign in with
Your question
Closed

GW 2 FPS with AMD FX 6200

Last response: in CPUs
November 13, 2012 5:27:50 PM

So I spent a lot of time and money on my latest build and was really torn between AMD and Intel and decided I would build an AMD rig since my last build was AMD and still runs well after 5 years. It was also very budget friendly and allowed me to spend more money on other components. This new build was mainly to get better performance for GW2. I was hoping to run evrything on high and get 50 to 60 FPS with this build. Unfortunately I am not getting that kind of performance, everything looks great on high but I am only getting 35 to 45 FPS (mostly high 30's) in low populated areas and randomly drops between 20 to 30 when doing events. I dont even want to talk about being in populated cities. I have also tried overclocking the 6200 to 4.5 GHz and it runs pretty stable at 40 degrees C and there is maybe a 5 FPS improvement but not much it still randomly drops and I have also lowered shadows and post processing down to low. Not really willing to lower any more of the options because of how much money and time I've spent. I also will have my build down below. I just wanted to know if anyone with a similar build was getting the same performance or if there was possibly some kind of problem with my build. Or did I totally just nerf my GW2 build by going with AMD.

Please no Intel fanboy replies, give me facts and logical opinions. Also suggestions of a budget alternative ideas to this situation.

AMD FX 6200
SilenX EFZ-120HA5 CPU Cooler
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
MSI GeForce 660 Ti Power Edition
Corsair 16Gb XMS 3 (2x8GB)
Corsair Force GT 90 GB SSD (GW2 install)
Sandisk 64Gb SSD (OS)
Excelsior 320 Gb
Antec EA 650 Green
CM Storm Trooper
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

More about : fps amd 6200

a b à CPUs
November 13, 2012 5:41:30 PM

Hehe, asking for no "fanboi" comments usually brings hell :p 

Well, anyway... From experience a 64GB SSD is going to choke your system down the road. Either aim for a bigger one (128GB+) or just plan to buy one down the road. You could also make do with a RAID 0 and partitioning using regular HDDs; way way cheaper and tons of space. This includes the idea for GW2's SSD.

Also, swap the FX6200 for the FX6300; they're in the same price bracket, so it's a few extra FPS's for almost no more money. It should also OC better than the 6200; no hard evidence on that though. RAM and MoBo look pretty good; are those Corsair C9 or C8 modules? Video card and Case look solid as well.

And well, any saving you can make removing the SSD's, I'd put them towards Video. A GTX670 would be a very good choice if the price jump is not that much. Even a 7870 is another good choice.

Cheers!
Score
November 13, 2012 5:47:11 PM

I have a 6300 CPU/7870 GPU rig and can play GW 2 at max settings at 1920x1080. I'd take Yuka's advice.
Score
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 13, 2012 6:14:13 PM

Overheating?
Score
a b à CPUs
November 13, 2012 11:28:49 PM

What do you mean, gamerk?

Do you have info regarding some flaming FX6300s? hahaha

And just for kicks, I looked around and Intel doesn't have anything attractive in that price range, except the locked i5s and locked (but speedy) i3s.

Cheers!
Score
November 14, 2012 12:08:40 PM

roghero said:
So I spent a lot of time and money on my latest build and was really torn between AMD and Intel and decided I would build an AMD rig since my last build was AMD and still runs well after 5 years. It was also very budget friendly and allowed me to spend more money on other components. This new build was mainly to get better performance for GW2. I was hoping to run evrything on high and get 50 to 60 FPS with this build. Unfortunately I am not getting that kind of performance, everything looks great on high but I am only getting 35 to 45 FPS (mostly high 30's) in low populated areas and randomly drops between 20 to 30 when doing events. I dont even want to talk about being in populated cities. I have also tried overclocking the 6200 to 4.5 GHz and it runs pretty stable at 40 degrees C and there is maybe a 5 FPS improvement but not much it still randomly drops and I have also lowered shadows and post processing down to low. Not really willing to lower any more of the options because of how much money and time I've spent. I also will have my build down below. I just wanted to know if anyone with a similar build was getting the same performance or if there was possibly some kind of problem with my build. Or did I totally just nerf my GW2 build by going with AMD.

Please no Intel fanboy replies, give me facts and logical opinions. Also suggestions of a budget alternative ideas to this situation.

AMD FX 6200
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
Sandisk 64Gb SSD (OS)
Excelsior 320 Gb
Antec EA 650 Green
CM Storm Trooper
gw2 also has some bad coding so your hardware is not the issue. I was running it on a 6100 OC to 4.3ghz. I had everything on max with super sampling. I have no ssd drive but was using 560s in sli. Running at 6052 x 1080p resolution anywhere between 50 to 60 fps. So cpu is not the problem

Score

Best solution

November 14, 2012 12:48:18 PM

Idk chase... there were inherent deficiencies in the Bulldozer platform that no one really denied. Depending on what else your system is doing you could be having some gaming performance ripped out from under you and you may not even know it.
November 21, 2012 5:14:06 AM

roghero said:

AMD FX 6200
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
Sandisk 64Gb SSD (OS)
Excelsior 320 Gb
Antec EA 650 Green
CM Storm Trooper

Well I made the jump and put the 6200 and gigabyte up on Craigslist and spent more money on an MSI z77 Mpower and an i5 3570k and jumped on GW2 tonight and feel like an idiot once more. I am getting a solid 50 fps in low pop....is this about the normal performance I can get for what I think is a pretty high end system? I am now starting to think that my 660Ti is the problem. I plan on getting a second one during tax season... What is the best move for me? SLI 660's, 670, or 680? I seriously thought that going Ivy Bridge (400 bucks later z77 mobo/3rd gen i5 cpu) would give me more than just a 10 FPS increase. It is a steady 50 FPS though no dips but it is low pop area. Tell me what you guys think and experiences with this matter.
Score
November 21, 2012 1:03:37 PM

roghero said:
Well I made the jump and put the 6200 and gigabyte up on Craigslist and spent more money on an MSI z77 Mpower and an i5 3570k and jumped on GW2 tonight and feel like an idiot once more. I am getting a solid 50 fps in low pop....is this about the normal performance I can get for what I think is a pretty high end system? I am now starting to think that my 660Ti is the problem. I plan on getting a second one during tax season... What is the best move for me? SLI 660's, 670, or 680? I seriously thought that going Ivy Bridge (400 bucks later z77 mobo/3rd gen i5 cpu) would give me more than just a 10 FPS increase. It is a steady 50 FPS though no dips but it is low pop area. Tell me what you guys think and experiences with this matter.

False alarm guys, so I got on this morning thinking and hoping that maybe I would get different results (don't ask...). Nope same results but I thought about it and the FPS is at a constant 50 even if I rotate the camera and jump around and move around in low pop. Having a short distance or long distance to look at did not make a difference with my FPS, constant 50. If I am topping out at 50 then it should dip at some points when changing view points. I went into the settings and looked at my frame limiter and saw it was set to 60. I set it to "Unlimited" and saw my FPS jump to 89!! So from that point it was averaging 70 to 90 in that area. I went to Divinity's Reach and I was getting an average fps of about 50 - 60 but there was not much going on. So money on Intel build not so wasted and GW2 build success. But now the problem is the dwindling population of GW2...WTF lol. Anyone know what the deal is with that? GW 2 not so fun without other people to play with. At least it was sub free hopefully this build will be able to handle Star Citizen well when it comes out.
Score
November 21, 2012 1:07:44 PM

Best answer selected by roghero.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 21, 2012 1:27:51 PM

There is an option to limit the top frame rates from within the game itself. Also, take a look at your screen refresh rate and vertical sync.

My i7 2700k (at 4.4Ghz) is pulling 100+ FPS with a GTX670 (stock) all the time, except in heavy populated events (like the Lost Shore rape fest) with all maxed out.

Cheers!
Score
!