Sign in with
Your question

NEED HELP WITH UNUSUAL NOISE ~ I THINK I HAVE ISOLATED THE CAUSE

Last response: in Components
November 13, 2012 6:34:38 PM

I recently built a PC on a pretty tight budget. I managed to squeeze in a AMD A-Series Processor A8-3870K and installed that into an Asus F1A75-V Pro MoBo with 8GB or 1833Mhz Corsair Vengeance Memory.

I used a 500GB hard drive from a directv receiver, a power supply from an old dell, and a case from an even older dell.

Everything is up and running, the system is stable and performs well. However, their is the most unusual and maddening noise coming from the PSU or MoBo ~ I am pretty sure it's comming from the PSU. The noise seems to be the direct result of VCore Voltage Fluctuation. When I open a program that uses DirectX and the VCore Voltage stabilizes the noise stops. Under all under circumstances the noise is present.

Does anyone know if newer PSU's are engineered differently to deal with Power Saving technologies?

The closest thing to a knowledgeable response I was able to find was on Corsair's forums, where they suggested disabling any Power Saving Settings in BIOS to negate the issue. That to me seems like treating the symptom and not the disease. Also, that thread was for Intel processors and technologies.

I am hoping there is someone who knows what I am talking about, has seen the issue, and can either A.) tell me how to fix it B.) recommend a PSU that won't have this same problem. or C.) tell me that this is not a PSU problem and infact a MoBo one (which I sincerely hope is not the case)

One last thing, the BIOS on this motherboard is so complicated that I honestly don't have the slightest idea what manual adjustments to make to have the system run on a stable VCore voltage.

I want to thank the community in advance for any help they provide, if more information is needed please don't hesitate to let me know that!

More about : unusual noise isolated

a b ) Power supply
November 13, 2012 7:29:02 PM

I am not too familiar with this issue but does the noise kind of sound like static electricity? I think it may be coil whine, it's best if you can upload an audio sample of the noise on mediafire or somewhere similar and post the link up. Perhaps I or anyone else could help find it out. Anyways you did claim you took an old power supply from a Dell, I believe Dell has many sources that build their power supplies and that makes them have varying amounts of quality on a wide range of units.
m
l
November 13, 2012 10:24:42 PM

socialfox said:
I am not too familiar with this issue but does the noise kind of sound like static electricity? I think it may be coil whine, it's best if you can upload an audio sample of the noise on mediafire or somewhere similar and post the link up. Perhaps I or anyone else could help find it out. Anyways you did claim you took an old power supply from a Dell, I believe Dell has many sources that build their power supplies and that makes them have varying amounts of quality on a wide range of units.

socialfox I truly do appreciate your prompt response. I was able to grab a 10 second audio sample and uploaded it to mediafire per your recommendation.

The link is:
http://www.mediafire.com/?8v3n43lpaqn3ezv

I do not understand electrical mechanisms to deeply and so I couldn't tell you one way or the other if coil whine is what it is. I did read a brief wiki on it and it certainly seems plausible. You will be able to hear in the audio sample that the noise fluctuates, what it fluctuates in correlation to is beyond me. I presume it to be in correlation to VCore voltage but I can't really overlay the audio sample with the VCore Voltage graph to make that conclusion.

The community has my sincere appreciation for their continued assistance in this matter.
Regards,
Zion1129
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
November 13, 2012 10:31:07 PM

I am not an expert on power supply noise issues but honestly if I heard my power supply make that noise I would replace it ASAP. Anyways take the power supply out of the build and attach a fan via molex and jump start it by inserting a pin into the green cable hole and black cable hole (there are several choose one) while connected to the wall. Check to see if it makes that odd noise.

http://www.overclock.net/t/96712/how-to-jump-start-a-po...
m
l
November 13, 2012 10:34:49 PM

Ooh, that doesn't sound good at all. I though it was coil whine til I heard it, although, that could be, just not as I have heard before. I am guessing its coming from the power supply, BUT that could come from the motherboard too, but on a new board thats unlikely. Can you afford to get a new power supply, I would get one from Seasonic, like this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168....
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 13, 2012 10:38:22 PM

^ FYI link you posted does not work, it says it got de-activated which would be odd if it worked a few seconds ago :lol: 
Anyways the maestro0428 makes a good point, Seasonic power supplies are top notch in terms of quality. Anyways I would say stick to Antec, XFX, Seasonic, Corsair, PCP & C, OCZ and top quality brands for power supplies. State your entire build and we will get you a good replacement power supply.
m
l
November 14, 2012 9:07:56 AM

I want to thank everyone for their help thus far. Specific information like this is invaluable, I am not surprised that the community is as alarmed by that noise as I was. The motherboard is refurbished, however, I don't think it is a mobo problem. My fear though is that if I continue to run the system on a low quality power supply that I may cause more problems to develop.

I can't thank you enough for offering to help me get a good replacement PSU, I thought that the best way to state my entire build would be to do a dump from CPU-Z which I did and saved as HTML, it is also available as a text file but I find the HTML more readable.

The Text Link is:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?q0rq64w09ckc9rp

The HTML link is:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?zbjg3b8jcifdknc

I tested the links and I had to download the HTML file and then open it with my browser because on mediafire it just showing the source code.

I would be willing to purchase a PSU with PayPal if their is anyone in the community that has one they don't need and that would go good with my build. I am working on a pretty tight budget as you can probably tell from the file names FRANKENSTEIN.TXT ~ FRANKENSTEIN.HTML ~ that is the name I decided to give this build whereas it has been more or less pieced together.

Of course I understand there may not be a PSU in the community and so a solid recommendation would also be much appreciated, I can then at least keep an eye out on eBay for a good deal if I can't afford to by it directly from newegg, amazon, et cetera.

Thanks again everyone ~ looking forward to further recommendation :-)
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 14, 2012 9:42:01 AM

OK lets just verify this, your build consists of a AMD A8-3870, 1x8 gb ram ddr3, a dvd burner/writer and a hard drive? I assume you have a burner and a hard drive, I kind of find it hard to read that log, too many numbers :lol: 

Also I assume you have no discrete video card and you are using the APU?

Anyways if you are looking for a power supply on these forums try this link:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-8.html

Confirm that is your build and I will calculate the wattage. If it is not add in the rest.

Edit: So far the processor uses 125 watts, the dvd burner around 20-30 watts at load, the hard drive uses 15 at max, the ram module uses about 4 watts (someone confirm about the ram?)
m
l
November 14, 2012 12:28:14 PM

socialfox said:
OK lets just verify this, your build consists of a AMD A8-3870, 1x8 gb ram ddr3, a dvd burner/writer and a hard drive? I assume you have a burner and a hard drive, I kind of find it hard to read that log, too many numbers :lol: 

Also I assume you have no discrete video card and you are using the APU?

Anyways if you are looking for a power supply on these forums try this link:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-8.html

Confirm that is your build and I will calculate the wattage. If it is not add in the rest.

Edit: So far the processor uses 125 watts, the dvd burner around 20-30 watts at load, the hard drive uses 15 at max, the ram module uses about 4 watts (someone confirm about the ram?)

Haha ~ yea CPU-Z has to much information for my taste too! The ram is 2 x 4GB instead of 1 x 8, I have been using external burner but am switching to internal. I am actually using a generic AMD Radeon HD 6450 and linking that to the processors APU via AMD Dual Graphics technology (More or Less Crossfire)

I not sure if I should even be using that graphics card. Would I be better off using the integrated graphics instead?
m
l
November 14, 2012 2:41:39 PM

PROBLEM SOLVED ~ C-6 State & C-State Pmin were causing the problem. This is apparently not an isolated issue, after figuring it out on my own I was able to find this thread with a few new keywords:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=701...

I am still interested in purchasing a new power supply unit if anyone can help in that regard.
m
l
!