Sign in with
Your question

AMD PHENOM II X4 955 BE

Last response: in CPUs
November 13, 2012 6:45:43 PM

Ok folks I am new to computer building and I am self taught. I built my first computer at the beginning of this year and just now decided to get into over clocking a little. Never had any problems with the system. So i download my core temp, cpuid, and prime. I was a little confused when i saw the idle temps at 50 but I went ahead and ran prime to see how a factory clock cpu would do. The temps climbed quickly(at least in my opinion). After five minutes the temps were right at 80 and proceeded to jump all the way to 256c (i assume this is the max temp the sensor can read). Now I'm no rocket scientist but im sure that thing would be a ball of fire in my case. At this point the cpu throttles back to 800mhz. Of course i stop the test let the temps cool. Under normal gaming (BF3 is the most demanding game I play) the temps go up to 70c. So my question.....
1) IS THIS NORMAL OF THE STOCK HSF? I know prime is an extreme stress test on the cpu and i will likely never put that mush load on it but in my research people are getting idle temps in the low to mid 40s and loaded temps mid to high 50s.
2) IF THIS IS NOT NORMAL IS THIS A COMMON PROBLEM? I have looked around but have not been able to get a straight answer. Some forums saying reapply the thermal paste some saying the fan is bad others saying the cpu is shot and the original poster never comes back to say if they had fixed the problem or what the fix was.

Here are the specs let me know if you need any other info.
CORSAIR CS 750W PSU
MSI 970A-G45 MOBO
PHENOM II X4 955 BE STOCK CLOCKS AND FAN
KINGSTON RAM 8GB 1333MHZ
WD 500GB HDD
XFX 6850HD

Cant remember the case (its a lower end brand i think) Mid tower one intake fan(120mm) one exhaust fan(120mm) and one side fan(240mm I think).
Took a screen shot of HWM and will post in just a moment.

More about : amd phenom 955

a b à CPUs
November 13, 2012 7:16:27 PM

Wow, I would say most of your temperatures were believable but at 256 degrees Celsius? Try running only HWmonitor when doing the prime 95 test. I find it hard to believe the CPU did not shut off at 256 degrees. If it were at 256 degrees I would think that would leave scorch marks. Anyways if you have overclocked then it is reasonable you reach 70 degrees since you are using the stock heatsink.

Anyways I would expect high 50's for a stock heatsink in prime 95 in your case. Also I assume you used the stock heatsink with the pre-applied thermal paste? If so thermal paste is not an issue.
m
l
November 13, 2012 8:21:25 PM

No overclock got the CPU from a friend so I had to put some thermal paste on I put a pea size dot. I have a picture of it how can I post it
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 13, 2012 9:08:11 PM

Are you running any CPU heavy applications in the background? There may be a possibility of it since your power package is at the max and that voltage is near the max of the standard voltage. Anyways this is idle right? It could also mean you have a faulty temperature sensor. If you do have access to one of those thermal guns that measure temperatures I would recommend you point it at the CPU if there is any part exposed if not just point it at the heatsink (lowest part) to get a rough range for temperature.

Edit: Thought about it but now it seems the thermal gun may not be the best choice but it is better than nothing :lol: 
Anyways have you considered getting a new heatsink like the Hyper 212? It will definitely cool that CPU given your case can support the Hyper 212.
m
l
November 13, 2012 9:15:48 PM

I will have to see if i can get my hands on a laser temp gun an aftermarket cooler is next on my list planing on corsair h60. I am limited on space so this looks like my best choice. that and i can get it for cheap
to my knowledge nothing in the back taking up cpu power as i sit here my cpu usage is like 1-5%. I am hoping the sensor isn't bad but that's what it looks like. I really don't want to get a new cpu unless I'm upgrading. The unfortunate thing about it is right now AMDs AM3 chips aren't that good at least in the $100-$150 range but that's another topic. I will check in later with news on how my adventures go!
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 13, 2012 9:27:39 PM

Oh if you don't have anyone who can lend you the thermal gun for free then don't bother getting the gun, it won't be as accurate but will give you at least an ideal range. Anyways I would highly urge you not to go for the H60, closed loop water coolers perform on par with Air cooling at lesser prices. Try getting the Hyper 212, let me know your computer case and I will see if it fits. Anyways I believe the CPU temperature sensor is on the motherboard, try plugging your CPU in another AM3/AM3+ motherboard and see the temperatures there.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 13, 2012 9:56:00 PM

If I read that right, 7.9 inches in width then you are golden for a Hyper 212. The hyper 212 is around 30 dollars which I think is half the price of the H60 and performs on par with it. I myself regret buying the Kuhler 620 :lol
Should've gone for an air cooler at that price but I though I would be "unique/special" when I would say my computer is cooled by water.

Anyways don't worry about the case, mine is much uglier :lol

Edit: If you are wondering how I predicted you are golden is because 7.9 inches in mm is roughly 200mm. The Hyper 212 is 159mm in height so that leaves about 41 mm for motherboard standoffs and cable management. Just to double check measure the distance from the motherboard socket to the side panel of the case just to double check. The product page does not state anything about cable management...
m
l
November 13, 2012 9:59:01 PM

ouch well thanks doing some looking around at some coolers i might just go for that 212. No dice on the laser temp gun. Are you sure the temp sensor is in the mobo and where might I look for that info.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 13, 2012 10:08:33 PM

Don't forget it could be a fault in the program you are using for monitoring temperatures. For true temperatures without discrepancies from software boot in to your bios (hold del or f9/f10 or something like that, all motherboards are different) and view the temperatures there. They wont be idle temps or load temps but something in between. I would also suggest doing a bios update, may correct the issue on the motherboard. I know for a fact there is a temperature sensor in the CPU itself but I think the motherboard is the one that measure it and displays it.

Would be nice if someone with expertise on temperature sensors could drop by :lol: 

Edit: Verify your heatsink does not wiggle when mounted and it is even on the surface of the CPU. I know this may sound stupid but did you remove the plastic cover from the heatsink?
m
l
November 13, 2012 10:17:21 PM

while in the bios the cpu temp is like 65ish right around there
not a stupid questions eliminate the easy stuff first but yes I did remove it
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 13, 2012 10:21:27 PM

Okay I would urge you to get a new CPU cooler, I trust BIOS temperatures for the most part. BUT before we do get a new cooler, pop (not literally) in your CPU in another motherboard and see the bios temperatures.
m
l
November 13, 2012 11:18:56 PM

just did a bios update only discription it had was it made the board compatible with the new fx cores. Idle temps look the same started prime

26 min later no issues never touched 80c. I still dont like how high the temps are.
I would have to find someone with an amd board. I will get some thermal paste and take a look at the hs and cpu and reapply it see what happens
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 13, 2012 11:22:36 PM

Well does the heatsink have scratches on it or was it damaged? Any bent heatpipes? Anyways I decided to contribute to the thread because I myself am running the same processor with a Kuhler 620, which is equivalent (to me ) to a Hyper 212. Behold these FANtastic temperatures (Get it? FAN-tastic)

Anyways at full load with prime 95 after a night I never exceed 48 degrees. Generally the safe temperature for our CPU is 62 degrees but I believe it throttles much later.

Edit: Does it now say 62 degrees for load with prime 95? If so then that looks a bit on the warm side but the temperature seems reasonable. Anyways hows the noise on the stock cooler? Says its at 4000 rpm which is loud by my standards.
m
l
November 13, 2012 11:42:55 PM

While running prime it was between 76c-79c it throttles down once you pass 80c at least for me
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 13, 2012 11:49:38 PM

I would advise getting a new cooler, consider the Hyper 212 it is very cheap and will do a real nice job on cooling. Anyways I would try and avoid stressing the computer too much until you get the new cooler. If it throttles for you at 80 then it will for me, I don't know the temperature at all since I have never passed 61 degrees on that CPU. I only reach 61 degrees because I used a crappy almost 10 years old Thermaltake TR2-RX complete Copper heatsink that had a terrible base. That being said I believe the stock cooler is damaged/scratched to have terrible temperatures like that if it is not loose and gives you 70's at stock clock.
m
l
November 14, 2012 11:50:19 AM

took off the fan and it was easy coming off thought it would be a little harder.

HSF i think there may have been an air bubble or two in there. I don't know.

You can see the nicks and stuff with the flash on. HSF is going to get replaced.

Here is the clean cpu. I was going to take a picture of it after i applied the paste but i just got out of work and forgot. But i used some Antec Formula 7. The last time i put it on I let the HSF's weight to spread the paste out. Today I spreaded the paste out by hand(no not literally I used the spreader it came with). Idle temps are still at 50c so time for a stress test from prime.
m
l
November 14, 2012 12:10:50 PM

wow I am impressed!! Just with changing my paste and taking extra time to spread it out perfectly my temps now after 10 tests in prime are 74c! Now i know thats still very hot but in comparison just the other day it was at 79c if it didnt go haywire on me and try to explode. I have yet to solve the high temp issue but I am getting closer. Now to get a better cooler and if possible find someone willing to lend me a mobo.
ok 75
m
l
November 14, 2012 12:16:58 PM

over 20 min of hell and its at 75
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 14, 2012 3:40:50 PM

try directing your case fans properly to manage the temp. They could get the temps down by atleast 5' C
m
l
November 14, 2012 5:59:49 PM

I've all ready reversed the airflow of my case (should have stated that already). My intake fan is now the rear fan and exhaust is the front
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 14, 2012 6:19:11 PM

Wait are you saying the front fan (intake) is an exhaust and that the rear fan that is elevated and near the top of the case is an intake? That doesn't seem right, ideally hot air rises and so the fans up in the top should exhaust it out while the fans near the bottom should bring in cooler air. Anyways you should do go for the new heatsink, that particular base doesn't look good, however I had a similar pure copper base (the cooler I mentioned above) and it looked like that and performed terrible. I dropped 10 degrees when I sanded the base and gave it a nice looking mirror base. Anyways I am not too sure of sanding those bases since there are heatpipes but if you are going to replace the cooler might as well experiment with it by sanding with 400,600,800 and 1000 grits in a straight motion until you get a clean finish on each type of grit.
m
l
November 14, 2012 6:29:34 PM

Yes I know hot air rises and before I did it I thought of all the posible ways it could go wrong from that issue to the possibility of air flow being so turbulent because of the redirect that it would just sit in the case. But it has helped. If I get board I might do that maybe after I get a cooler(212 evo).
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 14, 2012 6:32:47 PM

You consider about sanding before you get the hyper 212? Might significantly bring your temperatures down if there are some serious flaws in that base.
m
l
November 14, 2012 7:21:43 PM

HI,
I have X4 965 BE with Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 and my CPU goes up to 61 C
No overclocking. That CPU fan however does not go over 1800rpm when its top suppose to be 2500rpm.

Is that normal ?

I've never gone beyond that but isn't there a shut down "fail safe" temp like 62 C?
I've seen post all over internet forums about it.

@ FPSjake
YOu getting 70 C on your CPU ?
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 14, 2012 7:31:36 PM

TamLin said:
HI,
I have X4 965 BE with Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 and my CPU goes up to 61 C
No overclocking. That CPU fan however does not go over 1800rpm when its top suppose to be 2500rpm.

Is that normal ?

I've never gone beyond that but isn't there a shut down "fail safe" temp like 62 C?
I've seen post all over internet forums about it.

@ FPSjake
YOu getting 70 C on your CPU ?

Have you got an OC on your processor? It's also not the best cooler but check your voltage and see if it is too high. You can also turn up the fan using speedfan or enabling the Q-fan function on your motherboard (if you have it) and set it to turbo for max speed.
m
l
November 15, 2012 3:27:48 AM

Yeah up to 75c on prime. 45c on idle.
m
l
November 15, 2012 9:30:28 PM

socialfox said:
You consider about sanding before you get the hyper 212? Might significantly bring your temperatures down if there are some serious flaws in that base.

Didn't see the post before if I get board I might. It would make for a good comparison.
m
l
November 21, 2012 4:08:46 PM

So lazzyness kicked in and a flat tire. But going to order the 212 evo and see what that does for me I like the reviews. People are seeing about a 5c cooler temps when oc compared to the 212 plus. And for just 5 more bucks its not too bad on the pocket. Will update once it comes in I'm hoping this will help me and more importantly anyone else that may have some cooling issues.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 21, 2012 5:42:07 PM

Glad you went with the hyper 212. Anyways is the side fan an intake, the front fan an intake and the top/rear fan an exhaust?
m
l
November 28, 2012 4:20:27 AM

Ok so I just got the 212 evo in and it was bigger than I thought!!! Went through installing it only had one little hiccup. One of the threads to hold he back plate on wasn't right so I had to muscle the nut on it. Luckily I didn't strip it. Oh and the directions were very vague with small pictures. Other than that....THIS BITCH IS COLD!!

this was after I just installed it after my first test its been right at about 35c.

Once I noticed that I didn't have to baby sit the beast I went ahead and cleaned up and got in a little work out. I was impressed when I came back and the temps had leveled out to about 50c after 35 min of prime!!!!

Oh yeah....THIS THING IS A MONSTER!!! Showed my friend and he asked why there was a nuclear reactor on my motherboard. I actually had to take out my side fan.

So besides for poor cable management(fault of POS case) and poor air flow(again POS case) this thing has been the solution. To recap the 212 Evo dropped idle temps by about 20c and full load by about 25c maxing out at a temp of 52c. P.S. please keep all "that's what she said!" comments to yourself. I'm sure there is about 6 times to say it.
m
l
November 28, 2012 9:06:54 AM

FPSjake said:
Ok so I just got the 212 evo in and it was bigger than I thought!!! Went through installing it only had one little hiccup. One of the threads to hold he back plate on wasn't right so I had to muscle the nut on it. Luckily I didn't strip it. Oh and the directions were very vague with small pictures. Other than that....THIS BITCH IS COLD!!
http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q769/fpsjake/212evofirst.png
this was after I just installed it after my first test its been right at about 35c.

http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q769/fpsjake/212evo35minfirst.png
Once I noticed that I didn't have to baby sit the beast I went ahead and cleaned up and got in a little work out. I was impressed when I came back and the temps had leveled out to about 50c after 35 min of prime!!!!

http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q769/fpsjake/IMG_0186.jpg
Oh yeah....THIS THING IS A MONSTER!!! Showed my friend and he asked why there was a nuclear reactor on my motherboard. I actually had to take out my side fan.

So besides for poor cable management(fault of POS case) and poor air flow(again POS case) this thing has been the solution. To recap the 212 Evo dropped idle temps by about 20c and full load by about 25c maxing out at a temp of 52c. P.S. please keep all "that's what she said!" comments to yourself. I'm sure there is about 6 times to say it.

Congrats
m
l
!