Help! After uninstalling display driver, pc not sending signal to moni

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjsdtl

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
I was receiving some occasional error messages so I tried uninstalling the display driver software for my GPU in order to make a subsequent clean install of the most updated driver software. After completing the uninstall, I predictably had to move the monitor's connection from the GPU to the mobo (both using the DVI-D cable), which worked... until I was prompted to restart, and did. Now upon start up the monitor does not receive any signal from the PC - not from the GPU's DVI, the mobo's DVI, OR the mobo's VGA!

This is terrible! I can't troubleshoot anything in the OS or BIOS because I can't see a thing! I know the monitor still works because I hooked it up to my laptop via VGA and it received the signal immediately upon making the connection. No monitor drivers/software necessary. I have contacted AMD support but they are not available via phone at this time, so this has become an excruciatingly slow recovery process. Please help!!

bjsdtl

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012

Will this interfere with any other OS/configurations I had set up? I spent many hours configuring the hard drives to interact in a specific way, and I'm really trying to avoid having to reconfigure things back to the way they were. The reason I think this may be the case is because I once made the mistake of changing the BIOS setting for storage from IDE to AHCI after I had set up my hard drives. This ended up corrupting them and I had to do a full format + OS reinstall. So yeah, just asking if I will have to go through all this again if I clear the CMOS (specifically if the storage setting for AHCI will have to be changed again, which I know from experience will require a full reinstall and reconfig :()

bjsdtl

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012

OK, just tried it but I'm still not getting any signal from the PC to the monitor :(

bjsdtl

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012

No I did not but I tried reseating nearly all the components to the mobo & PSU. I'm happy to report that the monitor is working again, but I had to do the following to get to this point:

I used another VGA-input monitor I had lying around (luckily) and it was able to receive signal from the GPU (strangely, not the mobo though) even though all drivers for the GPU had been uninstalled. I was able to access the BIOS and switched the storage settings from default (IDE) to AHCI. I was amazed when I restarted, logged into my Windows profile, and found all my files and folders just as I had left them (which I didn't fully explain, but I went through an arduous and complicated process to configure symbolic links from the C:\ to the D:\ for optimal storage responsibilities - another topic entirely).

So here I am, at square one :D At least I didn't have to reconfig everything. However, my initial issue may still exist: that is, receiving the error message about the display driver failing but subsequently recovering when I play a game. This issue does not come up when watching video. Anyway, thanks for the info everyone. I'll be updating the other thread (linked to in my original post) if the error message about the display driver crash persists.

Status
Not open for further replies.