Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

SAbertooth 990fx fx 8350 comatibility

Last response: in CPUs
Share
November 13, 2012 7:28:37 PM

Hi I need some help I have done plenty of research, my main problem is I do not know if the fx 8350 will be supported out of the box with the sabertooth 990fx R 2.0 motherboard without a BIOS update the problem is that I do not want to have to buy a cpu to flash the BIOS and if I do need to flash my BiIOS can I just call ASUS and have them mail me the new BIOS chip instead of buying a new cpu just to update BIOS I will be buying my parts hopefully for Christmas. If you would like to know my bulid let me know.
a b à CPUs
November 13, 2012 8:46:20 PM

a39232 said:
Hi I need some help I have done plenty of research, my main problem is I do not know if the fx 8350 will be supported out of the box with the sabertooth 990fx R 2.0 motherboard without a BIOS update the problem is that I do not want to have to buy a cpu to flash the BIOS and if I do need to flash my BiIOS can I just call ASUS and have them mail me the new BIOS chip instead of buying a new cpu just to update BIOS I will be buying my parts hopefully for Christmas. If you would like to know my bulid let me know.

it should work out of the box, it will likely come up as an "unknown cpu". you will likely have to use the usb flashing method.

new with the 2.0 board, you can actually update the bios without a cpu.

USB BIOS Flashback

Simple Plug & Press - Hardware-based BIOS Flashback
A truly revolutionary hardware-based update solution. USB BIOS Flashback offers the most convenient way ever to update the BIOS! It allows users to update new UEFI BIOS versions even without hardware such as a CPU or DRAM installed into the motherboard. Just plug in a USB flash drive containing the BIOS file, and press the BIOS Flashback button for 3 seconds with the power supply connected. The UEFI BIOS will then automatically update without requiring further interaction. With its new, complementary Windows application, users can regularly check for UEFI BIOS updates and download the latest BIOS automatically. Hassle-free updating for the ultimate convenience!

Related resources
a c 113 à CPUs
November 13, 2012 8:59:07 PM

Yes, he's right. I missed the flashback feature at this board. Ignore my previous post.
November 13, 2012 9:35:50 PM

awsome i thought you had to have a supported cpu to even do it are u tslking about that black botton on the back of the mother board ? I just want to verify that thought u had to go in the BIOS and selct easy flash then it would work.
November 13, 2012 9:36:08 PM

You also have the option of buying a new BIOS chip if something should go wrong. The 990FX R2.0 isn't listed specifically, but if anyone is concerned about that I can pass a message along to get it taken care of. You can also email the eStore folks directly and make sure that the R2.0 is supported.

http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=...

There's also a little guide for using Flashback:

http://event.asus.com/2012/mb/USB_BIOS_Flashback_GUIDE/
a c 113 à CPUs
November 14, 2012 5:43:40 AM

Download the file, unzip and rename it as ST990R20.CAP Save it on a FAT formatted USB stick. Insert the stick into the USB BIOS Flashback port (not any port supports BIOS flashback) - the one near the Audio ports. make sure that the PSU is connected and on. Don't start the board. Press for 3 seconds the Flashback button.
November 15, 2012 3:42:10 AM

alexoiu said:
Download the file, unzip and rename it as ST990R20.CAP Save it on a FAT formatted USB stick. Insert the stick into the USB BIOS Flashback port (not any port supports BIOS flashback) - the one near the Audio ports. make sure that the PSU is connected and on. Don't start the board. Press for 3 seconds the Flashback button.


what do you mean don't start the board ?
a c 113 à CPUs
November 15, 2012 4:27:30 AM

Don't press the power button/switch. Just connect the power supply and make sure that it is switched on. Then press for 3 seconds the flashback button.
December 12, 2012 1:43:56 AM

alexoiu said:
Don't press the power button/switch. Just connect the power supply and make sure that it is switched on. Then press for 3 seconds the flashback button.


I followed the exact procedure as you mentioned but it did not work for me :( . I have a AMD FX-8350. Has anyone had any luck with USB BIOS flashback of ST990R20.CAP (originally SABERTOOTH-990FX-R20-ASUS-1201.CAP) on ASUS 990FX R2.0? Thanks.
December 12, 2012 2:16:07 AM

I read another post and found that USB BIOS Flashback Wizard (DVD) needs to be installed before the USB BIOS Flashback feature can be used. Since I cannot start my system the first time over due to BIOS version I am not sure how USB BIOS Flashback can be done?

Do I have any other option other than returning the ASUS mobo? Thou I love the ASUS mother board, the customer support with ASUS is the worst I have ever experienced :( 
a c 113 à CPUs
December 12, 2012 4:10:26 AM

The flashback should work. Try a previous BIOS version.
How do you know that the flashback didn't work?

Another option would be buying a BIOS chip and replacing the board's one (it's on socket, so it's not difficult). If in US, you can find one on ASUS eStore or on ebay.
December 23, 2012 10:23:34 PM

alexoiu said:
The flashback should work. Try a previous BIOS version.
How do you know that the flashback didn't work?

Another option would be buying a BIOS chip and replacing the board's one (it's on socket, so it's not difficult). If in US, you can find one on ASUS eStore or on ebay.


I tried installing older versions of BIOS as well but did not work. The reason I know it did not work is because the LED light on the USB BIOS button does not flash when I upload. I also read the ASUS user manual that discusses about installing USB flashback in DVD first before using this USB BIOS flashback.
December 31, 2012 12:44:16 PM

Best answer selected by a39232.
April 19, 2013 4:18:12 PM

Having a real problem with the Sabertooth 990FX Gen3 R2.0 and the AMD FX8350 processor. I know I need to flash the bios which I tried to do with the lastest bios. My attempt was with the USB updater on the back of the board. It just does not seem to upload. Anyone who has done this please help!!!
a c 113 à CPUs
April 20, 2013 7:59:19 AM

Have you renamed the file to ST990R2G3.CAP ? Is the USB drive FAT formatted? Have you used the designated USB Flashback port?
The power supply has to be connected and on. Don't start the board. Just press the flashback button for 3 seconds.
June 17, 2013 2:54:24 AM

a39232 said:
Hi I need some help I have done plenty of research, my main problem is I do not know if the fx 8350 will be supported out of the box with the sabertooth 990fx R 2.0 motherboard without a BIOS update the problem is that I do not want to have to buy a cpu to flash the BIOS and if I do need to flash my BiIOS can I just call ASUS and have them mail me the new BIOS chip instead of buying a new cpu just to update BIOS I will be buying my parts hopefully for Christmas. If you would like to know my bulid let me know.

Hi i just been told that asus does not support this ram at this speed as i have the same problem
August 12, 2013 9:23:09 PM

I just wanted to let you guys know it picked up my cpu right out of the box I did not have to do anything. the surprising thing is I had BIOS 0219 and it still worked fine. I just recently updated to BIOS 1903 updated successfully just have to remember to fix settings in BIOS so it boos up correctly. FX-8350 needs BIOS 1006 at least that's why I was surprised it worked.
!