AMD64 cpu's and Memory

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Does anyone here happen to know if AMD64 REQUIRE that you have matching
pairs of memory?

I ask because I'm trying to get a defective memory stick replaced from
Corsair. However he is trying to tell me that they must match in order to
work. (product number and revision)

However he also said if I sent both sticks in they could only match the
product number, not the revision. Which would do me no good.

But one of the sticks is defective, yet he acts like it won't do me any good
if I just replace the one stick.

My motherboard is a socket 754 (DFI NF3 Lanparty).

He's bulshitting you. Socket 754 boards don't support dual channel mode.
Therefore, unmatched sticks are just fine.
Even with a dual channel capable motherboard, exactly matched ram is not
necressary. Two of the same size from the same company will work fine.

On Tue, 10 May 2005 20:10:48 GMT, "dawg" <don't look@worldnet.att.net>
wrote:

> He's bulshitting you. Socket 754 boards don't support dual channel mode.
>Therefore, unmatched sticks are just fine.
> Even with a dual channel capable motherboard, exactly matched ram is not
>necressary. Two of the same size from the same company will work fine.

Yep, on my P4 dual channel mb I use two sticks of Samsung 512mb ram
but they are not matching pairs, as proven by Everest diagnostics, and
they work in dual channel mode fine. When I see companies charging a
premium for matched pairs of ram I know they are just scamming the
customer for a few extra bucks.

John wrote:
> Does anyone here happen to know if AMD64 REQUIRE that you have matching
> pairs of memory?
>
> I ask because I'm trying to get a defective memory stick replaced from
> Corsair. However he is trying to tell me that they must match in order to
> work. (product number and revision)
>
> However he also said if I sent both sticks in they could only match the
> product number, not the revision. Which would do me no good.
>
> But one of the sticks is defective, yet he acts like it won't do me any good
> if I just replace the one stick.
>
> My motherboard is a socket 754 (DFI NF3 Lanparty).

Socket 754 is single-channel only, so it doesn't matter if the RAM is
fully matched, slightly matched, or from different planets.

Yousuf Khan

"Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@ezrs.com> wrote in message

> Socket 754 is single-channel only, so it doesn't matter if the RAM
is
> fully matched, slightly matched, or from different planets.

What?? Yousuf, are you saying my new socket-754 90nm chip does _not_
have a 128-bit memory path?? Gee, _I_ sure think it has, and so does
the CPU, and so does the _two_ DDR DIMMs, and... ;-)

Felger Carbon wrote:

> What?? Yousuf, are you saying my new socket-754 90nm chip does _not_
> have a 128-bit memory path?? Gee, _I_ sure think it has, and so does
> the CPU, and so does the _two_ DDR DIMMs, and... ;-)

I don't get the joke.

"Grumble" <devnull@kma.eu.org> wrote in message
> Felger Carbon wrote:
>
> > What?? Yousuf, are you saying my new socket-754 90nm chip does
_not_
> > have a 128-bit memory path?? Gee, _I_ sure think it has, and so
does
> > the CPU, and so does the _two_ DDR DIMMs, and... ;-)
>
> I don't get the joke.

Yousuf said that socket 754 was single channel (true) therefore the
DDR memory could be totally mismatched. That could be interpreted to
mean that _my_ CPU's two DDR DIMMs could be totally mismatched, which
to the best of my knowledge is not the case.

The point is, Yousuf's comment was ambiguous. If you hold your tongue
one way, he's right. Hold it another way... ;-)

Felger Carbon wrote:
> Yousuf said that socket 754 was single channel (true) therefore the
> DDR memory could be totally mismatched. That could be interpreted to
> mean that _my_ CPU's two DDR DIMMs could be totally mismatched, which
> to the best of my knowledge is not the case.
>
> The point is, Yousuf's comment was ambiguous. If you hold your tongue
> one way, he's right. Hold it another way... ;-)

You mean you can't have say a 256M and 512M DRAM in there at the same time?

Yousuf Khan

keith

On Thu, 12 May 2005 20:39:41 -0400, Yousuf Khan wrote:

> Felger Carbon wrote:
>> Yousuf said that socket 754 was single channel (true) therefore the
>> DDR memory could be totally mismatched. That could be interpreted to
>> mean that _my_ CPU's two DDR DIMMs could be totally mismatched, which
>> to the best of my knowledge is not the case.
>>
>> The point is, Yousuf's comment was ambiguous. If you hold your tongue
>> one way, he's right. Hold it another way... ;-)
>
> You mean you can't have say a 256M and 512M DRAM in there at the same time?

In the same slot? Don't give Felg any ideas. ;-)

--
Keith

> Felger Carbon wrote:
> > Yousuf said that socket 754 was single channel (true) therefore
the
> > DDR memory could be totally mismatched. That could be interpreted
> > mean that _my_ CPU's two DDR DIMMs could be totally mismatched,
which
> > to the best of my knowledge is not the case.
> >
> > The point is, Yousuf's comment was ambiguous. If you hold your
tongue
> > one way, he's right. Hold it another way... ;-)
>
> You mean you can't have say a 256M and 512M DRAM in there at the
same time?

I merely have the cheapest of the socket-754 chips, the Palermo
Sempron 2600+. Which I can't overclock any higher than 2.0GHz (from
1.6) because of the limitations of my uATX mobo. I was thinking not
only of DDR size, but the DDR clock (133, 166, 200) and CL latency. I
understand that AMD is coming out with new CPUs that are more
adventurous, shall we say, WRT DDR but my new CPU isn't one of them.
;-)