Sign in with
Your question

Cpu cooler for new build

Last response: in Systems
July 5, 2012 1:43:32 AM

I have already ordered my case(Thor V2),psu(hive 750w) and ram(G.SKILL sniper 8gb 1866). This weekend i will be ordering the i5 3570k and the ASUS P8Z77-V PRO(i will listen to any other reccomendations). My question is what cpu cooler should i get to achieve a safe 4.5ghz OC? I was looking at the tpc 812 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... I would prefer to not get the noctua because it looks ugly but if its that much better I will. Also I would like to know if I will have any clearance issues with this ram. Thanks for all the help

More about : cpu cooler build

July 5, 2012 2:37:28 AM

the tpc 812 if you dont know has a loud ass fan. the noctuas are slient and very good. if you dont like the fan color, just go buy 3 gentle typhoon 1850rpm fans and slap them onto the cooler instead of the noctua fans. just hide the noctua fans inside the case where you wont see them

i personally think that the noctua color is great and a awesome marketing scheme
m
l
Related resources
July 5, 2012 2:44:23 AM

TheBigTroll said:
the tpc 812 if you dont know has a loud ass fan. the noctuas are slient and very good. if you dont like the fan color, just go buy 3 gentle typhoon 1850rpm fans and slap them onto the cooler instead of the noctua fans. just hide the noctua fans inside the case where you wont see them

i personally think that the noctua color is great and a awesome marketing scheme

As I said, if you think that the noctua is that good then the appearance is not an issue. I just checked to make sure the ram I bought would fit and it will. Thanks for all of your help.
m
l
July 5, 2012 2:50:21 AM

i ordered a pair of snipers too today for 44.99 at newegg.ca. they fit under the d14 easily
m
l
July 5, 2012 2:56:38 AM

TheBigTroll said:
i ordered a pair of snipers too today for 44.99 at newegg.ca. they fit under the d14 easily

Yea I got them in today's deal thing, great price. Also, if you don't mind me asking, what is your opinion on the mobo I plan on getting? I will be running a single 670 or 680(no sli) just wondering if all I really need is something like an extreme 4
m
l
July 5, 2012 3:00:03 AM

the PRO board is ok but its not really worth the price. for a cheaper price, i could get the z77x-ud5h from gigabyte and it would have a few more features.

it works though :) 

id rather not go with the extreme4 since i heard from somewhere that asrock was cheaping out on its capacitators
m
l
July 5, 2012 3:05:41 AM

TheBigTroll said:
the PRO board is ok but its not really worth the price. for a cheaper price, i could get the z77x-ud5h from gigabyte and it would have a few more features.

id rather not go with the extreme4 since i heard from somewhere that asrock was cheaping out on its capacitators

Ok thanks for the warning, so the z77x-ud5h is a better deal?
m
l
July 5, 2012 3:07:56 AM

TheBigTroll said:

Actually the ud5h doesn't support my ram which sucks...
m
l
July 5, 2012 3:09:33 AM

Houseboratheon said:
Actually the ud5h doesn't support my ram which sucks...

it says it works at the gskill website
m
l
July 5, 2012 3:14:59 AM

rwayne said:
If you are going for air cooling I would recommend the COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

How much $$ are you willing to spend?

If price is no object you could go with this dual fan rad from Corsair:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The 212 evo is a cheap solution but I don't think itll be the best in OCing ivy to 4.5 with reasonable temps. Also, I do not want water cooling at all.
m
l
July 5, 2012 3:16:09 AM

TheBigTroll said:
it says it works at the gskill website

That's weird, the mobo description doesn't list it. I'll have to research that before i purchase.
m
l
July 5, 2012 5:33:58 AM

The compatibility list isn't extensive - it won't have every compatible RAM listed.
m
l
July 5, 2012 12:08:47 PM

i doubt you will see much of a performance increase between 3.5ghz and 4ghz or 4ghz to 4.5ghz in real life other. the only performance gain you will see is in benchmarks or when you SLI/crossfire high end cards like the 680
m
l
!