Good PSU for my Gaming Computer Build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Headbomb

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
Hey, I want a good PSU for a gaming computer I'm building.

I'm getting a HAF 922 by Cooler Master. I'll need about 700w for overclocking headroom, black, and for it to be pretty quiet.

My full specs are:

COOLER MASTER HAF 922

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB

Seagate Barracuda 1TB

GIGABYTE Radeon HD 7870

Intel Core i5-3570K

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO

ASRock Z77 Performance

Thank you! :)

D

Deleted member 217926

A system with a single HD 7870 only needs a recommended 500w power supply. 600 watts is fine for 2 cards in Crossfire. As long as you buy a quality unit then this wil lcover overclocking as well.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

Quality brands include Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, XFX, Silverstone, Enermax, OCZ, Antec and the higher efficiency Rosewill units.

Post a budget and a place you would like to buy from and I wil try to find you a good deal.

Headbomb

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
Thanks, but I want to overclock and leave headroom because the cards draw a lot of power. I still want to go with at least 650w.

My budget is anywhere under 80$ about.

Thank you :)

D

Deleted member 217926

The listed power includes headroom for overclocking. Overclocking does not increase needed power by 200 watts.

D

Deleted member 217926

No. Online power calculators err on the side of caution because they assume you are buying a cheap power supply that can not put out it's rated voltage or can only do so at peak.. All the brands I listed are quality models that can put out their rated voltage continuously. All power supplies are not created equal.

That being said the Realhardtechx site also assumes you are getting a lower end power supply. Those numbers are conservitive as well. Most people really have no clue how little power a modern compter consumes. You have a 77w i5 3750K selected. So it uses 77 watts. Overclock it let's say by about 1/3 ( actually a little less ) to 4.4Gz and you increase power by a third as well. So now you have a ~100w CPU. It's not that linear but you get the idea, no need for an extra 200w power supply.

Some of the AMD FX chips need over 200 watts overclocked but that's one of the reasons they are such failures.

D

Deleted member 217926

Solution
D

Deleted member 217926

Why would you recommend that over the 80 Plus Gold Seasonic G Series for $10 less that I linked to? The Antec is based on the older 80 Plus Bronze Seasonic M12.

I didn't read any of your replies bud :lol: sorry i wouldn't recommend it over the 80 Plus Gold Seasonic G Series

killerhurtalot

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2012

too bad it's sold out lol. GL buying something that they don't have stock of.

Status
Not open for further replies.