Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Recommendations for a graphics card for Diablo 3

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 11, 2012 9:12:50 PM

Hello,

I just purchased this Dell XPS below, and I plan to play Diablo 3. Do I need to switch out the graphics card? If so, what card would be sufficient AND recommended?

3rd Gen Intel Core i5-3450 processor 3.10 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.50 GHz
8GB DDR3 SDRAM AT 1600MHZ-2x4GB
AMD Radeon HD 7570 1GB GDDR5
2TB SATA 6Gb/s,7200RPM
Viewsonic VX2453MH-LED 24" Widescreen LCD Full HD 1920x1080 resolution
Integrated 7.1 with WAVE MAXXAudio 4
460 Watt PS (90%)
Intel H77 motherboard PCI Express 2.0

Thanks to all in advance.
May 11, 2012 9:13:46 PM

By the way, I have Diablo III in mind.

Score
a b U Graphics card
May 11, 2012 9:21:44 PM

Even a 6450 can play D3 on minimum at 1080p, so I guess you're OK, but with lower settings.
Score
Related resources
May 12, 2012 4:41:50 AM

No specific budget. I can switch out the power source if I must.
Score
a b U Graphics card
May 12, 2012 5:11:17 AM

Can you verify your specs? I can't find any reference to a Radeon HD 7570 Graphics card anywhere on AMD's website. I did see that the Dell XPS is advertised as having this card in some of their systems but I suspect that may be a typo. As far as I know AMD is not making a graphics card of that type. It may actually be a Radeon HD 7750 which would be more than adequate for running Diablo 3. Anyone else have any information on a 7570 card?
Score
May 12, 2012 5:15:40 AM

I read somewhere (not sure where) that the the Radeon HD 7570 is just a 6570 that has been re-labeled. Same card, I believe.
Score
a b U Graphics card
May 12, 2012 5:28:13 AM

OK, well in that case it should be able to run Diablo 3 just fine although you almost certainly would need to keep detail levels fairly low. Read through this article to get a better idea how that card would perform in Diablo 3: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/diablo-iii-performa...

According to that, even a Radeon HD 6670 can maintain playable framerates at 1080p, Highest details, AA enabled. The 6570 was not included but it should perform between the 6670 and the 6450, so at somewhat lowered details it should be fine.
Score
May 12, 2012 5:35:32 AM

And what would you recommend to play at with the highest details? I'm guessing it would require upgrading the PS? Originally, I was thinking I would be able to find something that works with a 460W PS and does not require lowering the detail levels. It sounds like I was wrong.
Score
a b U Graphics card
May 12, 2012 5:54:47 AM

You were not wrong about the power supply. If you want to play at the highest detail settings the Radeon HD 7750 would do the job very well and you don't need to upgrade the PSU since it doesn't even need an auxillary power connector. Check out Tom's Article on the best graphics cards for the money here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...
Score
May 12, 2012 6:11:36 AM

I don't believe the Radeon HD 7750 card will work with my chipset, no? The Intel H77 is PCI Express 2.0. I believe both the 7750 and 7770 are PCI Express 3.0, right? I'm a relative novice here, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Any other suggestions?
Score
a c 291 U Graphics card
May 12, 2012 6:19:56 PM

It should be OK, I am just not really sure about your power supply. Could you post its full specs instead of just wattage? Like brand, model and amperages.

256 bit ones are better than 192 bit ones.
Score
May 12, 2012 7:07:26 PM

Sunius said:
It should be OK, I am just not really sure about your power supply. Could you post its full specs instead of just wattage? Like brand, model and amperages.

256 bit ones are better than 192 bit ones.

The 256-bit models have lower core clock, shader clock and effective memory clock speeds. Does this make it less attractive than the 192-bit models?
Score
May 12, 2012 7:07:46 PM

A Dell rep could not provide me the power supply model and specs, so I tried researching on my own. I found this:
Hi,

Welcome to the community

I checked on our parts database and the 460W Power Supply on 8500 is a PFC supply. I think once you have a PFC supply it increases the output power capability. Ideally we all wanted a perfect sinusoidal wave output, but PFC circuits can increase the PF ratio up to 0.98 almost 1.0 (Which is perfect) If you need to get a UPS, thats fine, it adds protection to your computer from any power outages and voltage fluctuations.

Regards,

Elijah

Dell | Social Media Outreach | Global Social Media & Community

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3...

Also found this:
Under the hood is a 460-watt power supply that Dell says is strong enough for up to 225-watt graphics cards. The two-slots-wide Radeon card leaves just two PCIe x1 slots free on the motherboard; an 802.11b/g/n and Bluetooth card occupies a Mini PCIe slot.

This MIGHT be it (from a different XPS model):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-XPS-8300-Mini-Tower-460-Wa...
Score
a c 291 U Graphics card
May 12, 2012 7:16:34 PM

Well, it's all guesses and inaccurate information. Could you just open your computer case and take a look (or a photo) of its label?
Score
May 12, 2012 8:24:11 PM

Sunius said:
Well, it's all guesses and inaccurate information. Could you just open your computer case and take a look (or a photo) of its label?

Sorry for not being more clear, but this is a purchased Dell that has not yet arrived to my home. It is in the production stage.
Score
a c 291 U Graphics card
May 12, 2012 9:13:18 PM

OH that's the case.. Then I'd suggest going with HD 6850, just to be safe. GTX 460 requires 500 W power supply with 2 6-pin power connectors, and DELL PSU will probably not have them. HD 6850 requires only 1 6-pin connector, and 460 W dell unit should have it. That's if you don't want to upgrade power supply, that is.
Score
a c 291 U Graphics card
May 12, 2012 10:35:19 PM

That one is a decent choice, it would have been the one I'd recommend (due to having both hefty overclock and not being overpriced). It will work.
Score
May 13, 2012 7:58:44 AM

By the way, I believe the Dell power supply will likely come with two 6 pin connectors. The ebay product image linked above demonstrates this. But it remains a 460 W PFC power supply.
Score

Best solution

a c 291 U Graphics card
May 13, 2012 9:08:02 AM

It will work, trust me. That requirement is for safety precautions for people have have no name power supplies that cannot output their labeled wattage. Dell makes decent power supplies, and it will indeed work with HD6850, I can guarantee it to you. One 6 pin connector may carry 75W of power. That's why GTX 460 would take more people, and I'd recommend at least 500W power supply for it. However, HD 6850 needs only one, so it eats way less power.

Article on no name power supplies:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/low-cost-psu-pc-pow...

They just make themselves an insurance because if someone buys a card, and they have the recommended power supply, and it doesn't work, it may give AMD trouble (with returning stuff, and complaints).
May 13, 2012 9:15:21 AM

Your current card will be fine with Diablo III. You may not be able to max the game out at your current resolution, but I dont see any reason why your current card couldnt take the game on with good fps at medium to medium-high settings.

And as other people have stated, if you want to upgrade that card you will need a better PSU, and chances are the PSU/new card wont fit right in a Dell XPS case. Ive seen it be a problem in the past so you may have to get a new case too, but who knows.
Score
a c 291 U Graphics card
May 13, 2012 9:20:20 AM

@Gordknight: HD 6850 would work without a power supply upgrade, so would other medium power cards :) 
Score
May 13, 2012 9:24:02 AM

@Sunius, yes I know it would, but I always have the mindset that if I am going to upgrade I go big and get the big mean cards :)  But yes you are correct, the mid range card would not NEED a a new psu but I dont place much faith in the PSU's put in the big box brand PC's like Dell, Emachine, Acer etc... Bad past experiences.
Score
a c 291 U Graphics card
May 13, 2012 11:10:01 AM

What is your budget if you want to go big? I've tried keeping on minimum funds, but if you want a larger upgrade - just tell me your budget and we'll fix something up!
Score
May 13, 2012 6:31:27 PM

You have some very interesting points about power requirements. That makes a lot of sense.

I would say my budget is fairly low.....say $250 (US) tops. I'm not the kind of guy that desires the very best. I do want to improve upon the pre-installed card, because I want to be able to play Diablo 3 on high settings, certainly. Any other hardware recommendations you can provide are appreciated.
Score
a c 291 U Graphics card
May 13, 2012 7:00:36 PM

$250 is very solid budget, I wouldn't call it low.

That GTX 560 Ti is a nice deal, very nice to be honest. You won't get ANYTHING better for that price, and GTX 560 Ti is considered one of the best cards for its performance/price ratio. With it, all I could recommend is this power supply unit:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Score
May 13, 2012 7:16:21 PM

I wouldnt call AMD a better value. Usually comparable cards are only more or less than its competition by 10-40 dollars and it goes both ways. For example right now performance for value is definitely in Nvidia's favor with the GTX 670 and 680 as the out perform the 7950 and 7970 by leaps and bounds are slightly cheaper.

My biggest beef with AMD are their drivers. They make good cards, but their drivers have always been terrible.
Score
May 13, 2012 7:21:04 PM

So, it sounds like these are my options:

1. I could go with the Gigabyte HD 6850 card at a total price of $140 (after rebate)

2. Or the alternative would be the upgrading both the graphics card and PSU with the ZOTAC GTX 560 Ti and Corsair CX600 V2 600W. That total price tag comes to $230 after rebates.

I'm betting there is a decent bump in performance from the first option to the latter option at a cost difference of $90. Having said that, the first option would be a large bump from the baseline specs as well. Thinking long term performance, I'm guessing I would not go wrong either way, no? I will say that I'm not a huge gamer.......I probably won't go beyond Diablo 3 in terms of gaming system requirements over the next 4-5 yrs. I do watch a lot of HD video files and will stream movies from time to time. I also plan to partition my hard drive and run Linux Ubuntu quite often as well.

Your recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Score
a c 291 U Graphics card
May 13, 2012 7:39:49 PM

If you really aren't planning anything else than playing diablo, HD 6850 will max it out totally - there's no need to go for a more powerful card. However, if you're planning playing other - more demanding games in the future, GTX 560 Ti is around 50% faster than HD 6850.
Score
May 13, 2012 7:52:51 PM

And that Corsair power supply will fit in the Dell XPS case just fine? Perhaps it would be best to wait and measure upon receiving the tower?
Score
a c 291 U Graphics card
May 13, 2012 8:12:48 PM

Corsair is standard ATX size. If the dell uses same size (not small form factor) power supply it fits fine. It's worth waiting though and seeing!
Score
May 13, 2012 8:55:15 PM

Agreed! Although, I have an email in to Dell to try to expedite this process of discovery.

I'm starting to think paying an extra 90 bucks for a GTX 560 Ti may be worth it (for 50% performance gain and future flexibility).
Score
May 13, 2012 8:59:52 PM

On another note, do you folks believe it was a bad move to purchase a new computer from Dell (considering the upgrades I'm going to purchase on top of this)? My price was $740 plus $25 taxes and no shipping costs (discounted for being a federal employee). I think the specs are pretty good for the price, but I really had no other alternative from whom to purchase. Hewlett Packard wasn't an option.
Score
a c 291 U Graphics card
May 13, 2012 9:12:07 PM

Almost all people on this site have common opinion about prebuilt computers: they are usually bad in price. It's always better to build your own computer. Take a look at this link, I picked all your specs of dell computer, just put a GTX 560 Ti and Corsair CX 600 power supply:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8bPv

Total price was $770.
Score
May 13, 2012 9:59:38 PM

Very, very helpful Sunius! Thanks!

I am strongly considering just cancelling that order. I had actually researched building my own computer months ago, but I was intimidated by the whole process. I even watched one of the countless youtube videos on building a pc (newegg's, I believe).

I know they have to make their money, but I despise all of the junkware they pre-install (for more profit, I'm sure).

I should add there are other components that came with my system such as ethernet, wireless, keyboard, mouse and such. Here is the full specs for the XPS 8500:

3rd Gen Intel Core i5-3450 processor 3.10 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.50 GHz
8GB DDR3 SDRAM AT 1600MHZ-2x4GB
Dell KB213 Wired Multimedia Keyboard
No Monitor
AMD Radeon HD 7570 1GB GDDR5
Dell SRV Software 1703
2TB SATA 6Gb/s,7200RPM
XPS 8500, Black Chassis w/19:1 media card reader
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, English, No Media
Dell USB 6-Button Laser Mouse
Integrated 10/100/1000 Ethernet
Adobe Acrobat Reader
16X DVD+/-RW
Integrated 7.1 with WAVE MAXXAudio 4
No Speaker Requested
Dell Wireless 1703 802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth v4.0+LE
US Power Cord
XPS localization parts (power cord, documents, ship material)
SHIP,XPS,L10,FXCN,8500,DAO
McAfee 11, 15 Month
Dell Resource DVD with Application Backup
Additional Software
No PDVD
Microsoft Office Starter: reduced-functionality Word and Excel w/ ads. No PowerPoint or Outlook
Dell Limited Hardware Warranty, Initial Year
Dell Limited Hardware Warranty Plus In-Home Service After Remote Diagnosis, Initial Year
1 Year Limited Warranty
Accidental Damage Service, 1 Year

Once I add in the $230 for upgrades, my cost rises quite a bit.
Score
May 13, 2012 10:02:00 PM

Does your setup come with Thunderbolt?

Am I also looking at purchasing a bunch of install kits?

I'm betting you would advise to cancel, no?
Score
a c 291 U Graphics card
May 14, 2012 4:59:11 AM

Yes I would. And oops, I forgot a hard drive ;D.

They are advertising like pros. Ethernet and sound is integrated in the motherboard. It's part of all computers, it's like I'd say when I buy the car, I get the wheels too.

Adobe reader is free software. You can always download it from www.adobe.com.

After adding a hard drive, the price rose to $880. It's still better, considering you are getting better graphics card and power supply. That power supply and HD 7570 combo would save $200, so you're staying over paying by $100.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8dcV

What is your budget too? This build isn't ideal. I'd suggest switching around a few items, to make more valuable purchases.

I could make you a custom build, but answer few questions.

1. Do you need a 2 TB hard drive? Or would lesser one be OK?
2. No it does not have Thunderbolt. Do you need it? I am not entirely sure, but wasn't that reserved by Macs? Also, I know it shares connector with mini display port, but i haven't found much info about it. Does that Dell have it?
3. Do you need bluetooth and wifi?
4. Do you need card reader?

I've listed things that aren't very usual and you could save money on them, however, if you need them - say so, I think include them in the build. Also, I am not very sure about thunderbolt thing, never encountered that. I don't think that dell has it either.
Score
May 14, 2012 6:54:09 AM

So, as I delve a bit deeper into the Dell power supply, I find this quote:

Whether you’re rendering 3D designs or simply enjoying them, XPS 8500 is designed for supreme visual performance, thanks to high-performance graphics and 225W of dedicated graphics horsepower.

Also, I looked into potentially cancelling the order (call center closed, read the online policy), but it sounds like I may not be able to cancel at this point since it is in production and will likely inevitably ship. I can return the package(s) upon receiving shipment, however that will incur shipping costs and a potential 15% restock fee. Regardless, to answer your questions, yes I will need the card reader (lots of home HD videos). Wi fi is a luxury and not really necessary. I believe you are right about Thunderbolt being a Mac exclusive (you jogged my memory), and no I don't need it, nor does Dell offer it. I do plan to stick with a 2 TB hard drive. I want to keep my entire purchase under $1,000.

Having done a little research today, I'm thinking that perhaps the choice boils down to the Radeon HD 6850 or HD 7850. The latter appears to be a good choice for present and future performance. It has only one 6 pin connection and uses only 130 watts (28 nm technology). The price is higher than the PSU/GTX 560 Ti option by about $30, but it has great specs and was Tom's highest rated at the $260 price point. Since it draws roughly 70+ W from the PCIe slot, it is only drawing about 60 W from the PSU. That would work well with my specs, no?

Also, it can be overclocked for free with a downloadable app (Sapphire and Asus, at the minimum). I'm leaning toward those brands.

Here is the Asus HD 7850 for $250 bucks shipped (can be OC'd later):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007JLFV7U/ref=olp_pro...
Score
May 14, 2012 7:01:30 AM

From my personal experience, I find it is always better and more cost effective to just build your own rig if you can. If I HAD to purchase a prebuilt comp it would be from Ibuypower, but even they jack up the price quite a bit, but the parts are quality. My beef with Dell and the other big box stores are a lot of the components are made from low quality parts that arent very compatible with parts you wish to upgrade with in the future because the new parts you buy arent made by Dell or said big box company.
Score
a c 291 U Graphics card
May 14, 2012 8:58:26 AM

Daverader, I see. Well, HD 7850 is nice purchase if you don't want to upgrade your power supply. Just one note: where do you think PCIe slot gets power? :lol: 

I didn't recommend it for sole reason of people reporting buggy drivers with it, but I guess that's fixable and occurs rarely.

Lastly, don't get wrong impression. Every card can be overclocked using software, those advertisements are just marketing tricks :) .
Score
May 14, 2012 1:57:58 PM

Good points on the power supply and self builds. Thanks folks.

So, if the 7850 will work without upgrading the power supply, it is a good option for me. Having said that, is it overkill in this sense. The card is a PCI Express 3.0 technology, but it will be installed on a PCI Express 2.0 motherboard in my computer. Does this create a bottleneck? Does it truly reach its full performance potential on a PCIe 2.0 motherboard?

When you stated "marketing tricks", what do you mean? The overclocking with software, or the factory overclocked cards?
Score
a c 291 U Graphics card
May 14, 2012 2:25:17 PM

It's marketing trick again. No card in the world uses full potential of PCIe 2.0, let alone 3.0. It will work to its fullest.

Marketing tricks - fancy words which make people think that a product is better than it actually is. Like say, they advertise laptops to have 2 GB of video memory - despite the fact that the graphics card is so weak it won't even be able to use up 1 GB.
Score
May 14, 2012 2:34:08 PM

Interesting.

So, the marketing trick you were referring to was overclocking in general (both factory overclocked and overclocking via software)? It cannot perform as high as the specs claim?
Score
!