New Gaming Build, final revisions

Approximate Purchase Date: Within the month

Budget Range: ~$1200 USD Before Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Productivity, rarely video editing

Parts Not Required: Software, Keyboard, Monitor, Mouse

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, Micro Center

Parts Preferences: by brand or type None

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200

Additional Comments: First complete build (some experience upgrading individual components), just want to double check my parts list.
Intel i5 3570K $189.99 (Micro Center bundle)
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus $29.99
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H $99.99 (Micro Center bundle)
Corsair Carbide 300R $69.99
Crucial m4 CT064M4SSD2 64GB SSD $69.99
Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB $99.99
GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD GeForce GTX 670 2GB $399.99 (First nVidia product)
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) $46.99
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W $99.99
ASUS Black Blu-ray Drive $57.99
Rosewill RCR-IC002 74-in-1 USB 2.0 3.5" Internal Card Reader $9.99
COOLER MASTER R4-S2S-124K-GP 120mm Case Fan 4 in 1 pack $13.99 (because, why not?)

Not sure how much Micro Center will charge me in tax or S&H (probably none since it's an in-store pickup) but total should be ~$1213.20 USD.

Any improvements? I'm pretty satisfied with the features each provides, so if you want to change my mind you'd better provide a damn good reason :)

Edit: Also, do I need to do anything different when using an SSD as a primary drive? AHCI mode, etc?
13 answers Last reply
More about gaming build final revisions
  1. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bpjH

get something like this. 550w is enough for a single GPU system.
  2. yes set the SSD in ahci mode for max performance
  3. Why the Bluray drive? You'll need bluray software to do anything other than use it as a regular DVD drive, and it won't write DVDs/CDs either (need at least a combo drive).

I personally would go for an EVGA GTX 670 because their customer service is better IMO. Other than that, the GPU/CPU choice is great. Running a 2600K/670 combo and it destroys games like none other.

You may want to invest a bit more into the SSD if you can. The 128GB models are only $30 more, and having used a 64GB SSD for 2 years now I can say that it is a VERY tight squeeze. I actually have an SSD coming in the mail since I upgraded to a 128GB.
  4. TheBigTroll said:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bpjH

get something like this. 550w is enough for a single GPU system.

Pretty good PSU for the money - have one in my brother's gaming rig right now (no GPU currently, but it could run a GTX 670 easily).
  5. it could run any new single GPU card out there right now. the only thing it cant power is a 480 system
  6. I'm pretty sure the Asus drive was capable of writing DVDs and CDs. I'd like the Blu-Ray read capabilities, and yes, I know it doesn't come with software (OEM).

Nice find on the PSU! Thanks for bringing that up

Thanks for the advice! I know NCIX is big in Canada, but I don't know much about them.
  7. Quote:
    I'm pretty sure the Asus drive was capable of writing DVDs and CDs. I'd like the Blu-Ray read capabilities, and yes, I know it doesn't come with software (OEM).

My bad - it will handle writing DVDs. They got cheaper!

Quote:
    Thanks for the advice! I know NCIX is big in Canada, but I don't know much about them.

NCIX is managed in Canada, but they now have a USA branch. From what I've heard, they're a pretty good retailer, but it never hurts to do any research ;)
  8. its almost dumb not to buy from ncix in canada.

-they can build your PC for 50 bucks (comes with windows 7 premium)
    -awesome customer service
    -shipping promos (5 bucks for any order nder 100 pounds last week)
    -weekly sale on wedsnaday
    -extreme deal of the day (like shell shocker from newegg)
    -online price matches (sometimes they beat it even)

the messed up thing is that

-the website is pretty confusing for people who just went on.
    -their prices are slightly higher than newegg so you have to price match
  9. Directcanada has free shipping on orders over $50.
  10. i find it weird. once you go click on an item, the price doesnt appear. makes price matching a pain
  11. ...he's in the USA...why are we looking for parts in Canada again? ;)
  12. LOOLOOOOL didnt notice
  13. Very nice pc mate. Two things though:

If you plan to use your SSD for anything other than just a windows drive I'd recommend a bigger one.

Check the latest benchmarks for the 7970 with 12.7 drivers, if you can find one cheap you'll get better performance. 670 is a great choice all the same.

Enjoy :)
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product