Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help with build

Last response: in Systems
July 5, 2012 3:13:05 AM

I built myself a new system back in November and saved up all of my old parts for future use.

My sister was recently having trouble with an old computer so I decided to upgrade her with what I had.

Her new system (my old) is exactly the same (PSU, Mobo, RAM, GFX) except I'm using her case and HDD.

I have everything installed and it powers up but I get no HDD light, beeps or video so I can't tell if it's posting.

GFX fan, CPU fan and case fan are all working and my Mobo light is ON. My Razor mouse and keyboard don't

light up either and I've tried all of the USB ports. Any ideas on what this could be, everything was in working

order nine months ago.

Thanks,
-Rob

More about : build

a b B Homebuilt system
July 5, 2012 3:38:46 AM

Double check your HDD and all your connections to the PSU. Make sure you have the 24 pin and 6/8 pin connected to mobo. Also, double check you have the ram seated correctly

If still have no HDD activity you might have a damaged or dead HDD. Also, you will not get anything past a post most likely because you changed HDD's with your MOBO.
m
l
July 5, 2012 3:54:21 AM

avenseth12 said:
Double check your HDD and all your connections to the PSU. Make sure you have the 24 pin and 6/8 pin connected to mobo. Also, double check you have the ram seated correctly

If still have no HDD activity you might have a damaged or dead HDD. Also, you will not get anything past a post most likely because you changed HDD's with your MOBO.

Changing the Hard Drive should not in any way keep the motherboard from physically posting. What could keep it from posting would be a damaged CPU, North bridge (maybe south bridge too), or RAM like you said. If the GPU is damaged the computer should at the very least create some kind of error beep code.

Regardless, Rummy, you should first check to make sure that all the power cables are properly seated like avenseth said; then try to find the Clear CMOS jumper (usually labeled on the MOBO as JCMOS1) and reset your motherboard back to factory defaults, you might even have to physically remove the CMOS battery, but not usually. Also, it would help if you could list your old system parts and if they came from a pre-built machine (like a Dell) or not.

EDIT: It wouldn't hurt to also make sure you put all of the front panel connectors in the correct way; even though I don't think that's your problem.
m
l
Related resources
July 5, 2012 5:10:29 AM

I'm unsure if it is posting, I have no video to tell.

I did have some trouble with the front panel connectors. I was unsure if the striped wires were ground or +5v. I assumed after some searching that the striped were positive and it turned on but no lights. I flipped the power LED to striped ground and it lit up. Should flip them all?

It was a self built system.

Mobo - Asus p5n-e sli
Intel dual core e6600 2.4
Adata 2gb ram
nvidia 8800GTS 640
Corsair vx450 PSU
m
l
July 5, 2012 7:37:39 AM

rummy98 said:
I'm unsure if it is posting, I have no video to tell.

I did have some trouble with the front panel connectors. I was unsure if the striped wires were ground or +5v. I assumed after some searching that the striped were positive and it turned on but no lights. I flipped the power LED to striped ground and it lit up. Should flip them all?

It was a self built system.

Mobo - Asus p5n-e sli
Intel dual core e6600 2.4
Adata 2gb ram
nvidia 8800GTS 640
Corsair vx450 PSU

The system looks fine, and since it's self built then there should be no issues with the motherboard locking out because of a hard drive or any other component change. Did you clear the CMOS? But yes you should probably flip them all; usually in wiring if there are two colored wires (instead of black/white or black/red where black would be negative) the colored wire with the stripe running the length of it is negative. If the motherboard isn't labeled to show you which side of the header is positive/negative (it should be labeled), consult your motherboard's manual for the correct plug orientation.
m
l
July 5, 2012 9:47:24 PM

I've cleared the CMOS and removed everything (GFX, RAM, HDD, CDROM). Just have the power button connected, speaker, 24pin and 4pin power. I've also tried a second PSU I had lying around.

Both had the same result: It turns on, fans spin and mobo light is on but no post (as far as I know) and no beep.

After every step I put the GFX back in to check for post then remove it.

The no beep is what confuses me, with no RAM or GFX I should be hearing something. Unless the speaker is bad...
m
l

Best solution

July 6, 2012 9:00:03 AM

Sounds like a dead motherboard. From personal experience, every time I've had that happen it's been a dead motherboard. It's possible that you overloaded a component on the motherboard through electrostatic discharge when you either took it out or put it in the other case.

In any case, what you should do first is try to change out the RAM (or try it with only one RAM stick in), change out the CPU (if you can), change out the GPU, etc. until you've found exactly which component(s) are bad.
July 6, 2012 12:38:13 PM

Cool, if that's the case I'll look online for another LGA775 mobo after I do what you suggested. I should be able to find one for a decent price.

Thank you s3nister and avenseth for the replies.
-Rob
m
l
July 6, 2012 12:38:33 PM

Best answer selected by rummy98.
m
l
July 6, 2012 10:09:21 PM

Hey no problem, rummy. Glad I could help.
m
l
July 12, 2012 11:58:06 PM

Update: bought a new board and, PSU, RAM, HDD, GFX all in working order. Had some trouble installing chipset drivers due it it requiring SP3 on XP...that was a good 5 hours to figure that out.
m
l
!