Sign in with
Your question

Will my CPU bottleneck 670?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 11, 2012 9:42:07 PM

I have a Core 2 Quad 8300 @ OC 2.92Ghz (I cannot go any higher as i have a G41 mobo, i've read that the most G41s are only capable of ~400(x7.5) FSB. And Corsair 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz.

Games and Setting:
BF3- 1920x1080 (1080p) - High to Ultra Settings - Preferrably 55+ fps
Future fps games, most probably thesame setting as BF3

Will it bottleneck?

More about : cpu bottleneck 670

May 11, 2012 9:51:02 PM

Yes, the CPU will bottleneck that card.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 11, 2012 9:59:59 PM

Jim_L9 said:
Yes, the CPU will bottleneck that card.

And you know this as fact, or are you just guessing?

The word 'bottleneck' is thrown around these forums much too often. If you read all of these 'bottleneck' threads you would think you have to have an i5-2500k minimum to run any of the new offerings from nVidia and AMD. But there is no proof, one way or the other, of these bottleneck claims. Tom's and some of these other sites need to step it up and provide us with some data to make some educated guesses as to what will 'bottleneck' these new gpus.
m
l
Related resources
May 11, 2012 10:34:44 PM

That's a fine cpu for that card. If you need the boost you can oc it and you won't be missing out on much. Sure it's not the latest and greatest but depending on the game and whether and how its coded even a 3960k can be a bottleneck. I say go for it.

Edit: If you were going sli I then would worry about the bus.
m
l
a c 88 U Graphics card
May 11, 2012 10:40:07 PM

maui67 said:
And you know this as fact, or are you just guessing?

The word 'bottleneck' is thrown around these forums much too often. If you read all of these 'bottleneck' threads you would think you have to have an i5-2500k minimum to run any of the new offerings from nVidia and AMD. But there is no proof, one way or the other, of these bottleneck claims. Tom's and some of these other sites need to step it up and provide us with some data to make some educated guesses as to what will 'bottleneck' these new gpus.

You can get away with it on an older quad core , but you need to raise the clocks on it to elleviate the bottleneck and check the cpu usage.
On a QX9650 or QX9770 you will be able to use a 670 when overclocked.

There is proof, and that is by checking your cpu usage when playing games like BF3, if your cpu is topping out at 100% in gameplay it means you are suffering a cpu bottleneck. I saw this with my E8500 core 2 duo and 560ti SLI. (performance close to a 670 if not more)
I replaced the E8500 which was topping out at 100 percent and caused a major bottleneck (constant stuttering and crashes) with a QX9650 overclcocked.
The cpu usage dropped and I was able to play BF3 with this processor and my 560ti SLI set up.

Proof is in experience and what people know from it , does not always mean they are guessing, they may also have read other peoples experiences and learnt from it.
m
l
May 11, 2012 10:48:38 PM

monsta said:
You can get away with it on an older quad core , but you need to raise the clocks on it to elleviate the bottleneck and check the cpu usage.

There is proof, and that is by checking your cpu usage when playing games like BF3, if your cpu is topping out at 100% in gameplay it means you are suffering a cpu bottleneck. I saw this with my E8500 core 2 duo and 560ti SLI. (performance close to a 670 if not more)
I replaced the E8500 which was topping out at 100 percent and cause a major bottleneck (constant stuttering and crashes) with a QX9650 overclcocked.
The cpu usage dropped and I was able to play BF3 with this processor and my 560ti SLI set up.

Proof is in experience and what people know from it , does not always mean they are guessing, they may also have read other peoples experiences and learnt from it.

So this is completly unrelated to the OP, but i noticed in your Sig that you hve a Thermaltake Armour case...have you had any problems with securing the card to the case?
Mine is sitting to where i would need to put stress on the slot/card in order to secure it to the case with screws...
i took out the crappy plastic card fastener along time ago, wish i wuold have kept it now :( 
Just thought i would ask :/ 
m
l
a c 88 U Graphics card
May 11, 2012 10:54:09 PM

supr3m3justic3 said:
So this is completly unrelated to the OP, but i noticed in your Sig that you hve a Thermaltake Armour case...have you had any problems with securing the card to the case?
Mine is sitting to where i would need to put stress on the slot/card in order to secure it to the case with screws...
i took out the crappy plastic card fastener along time ago, wish i wuold have kept it now :( 
Just thought i would ask :/ 

Not a problem spr3m3justic, Im happy to help you out , just don't wanna take over the op's thread , feel free to private message me and we can have a chat about it as much as we like :) 

EDIT: Just sent you a message
m
l
a c 88 U Graphics card
May 11, 2012 10:59:07 PM

Wrenaudry you would ge able to use the cpu you have with higher clocks , at 2.9 GHZ it will hold the 670 back.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 11, 2012 11:13:29 PM

monsta said:

I replaced the E8500 which was topping out at 100 percent and caused a major bottleneck (constant stuttering and crashes) with a QX9650 overclcocked.

Excellent post! That's what I was trying to say in my post. If you have experience in the subject, then by all means answer the OP. If you have a link to another post that answers the OP's question, then that is great too.

What chaffs my hide is people that just post "Nope, the cpu will bottleneck" and offer no personal experience or references to back up such a useless statement. Your experience is excellent proof that backs up your statements. Thank you!
m
l
a c 88 U Graphics card
May 11, 2012 11:18:31 PM

maui67 said:
Excellent post! That's what I was trying to say in my post. If you have experience in the subject, then by all means answer the OP. If you have a link to another post that answers the OP's question, then that is great too.

What chaffs my hide is people that just post "Nope, the cpu will bottleneck" and offer no personal experience or references to back up such a useless statement. Your experience is excellent proof that backs up your statements. Thank you!

I knew exactly where you are coming from , and wanted to back up what you were saying with what I know from experience , gets on my nerves mostly when people make judgements about somthing they have never owned or used before and they give bad advice to people. When I'm not sure I will always say so.
Cheers buddy!
m
l
a c 88 U Graphics card
May 11, 2012 11:22:04 PM

The only bottleneck here I can see is the Motherboard not allowing the clocks to go higher and the limitation of the 4GB ram which is a problem for games like BF3.
m
l
May 12, 2012 12:36:23 AM

Thank you people for the replies!
All i can say is that i will not be able to really confirm whether it will be bottlenecked or not until i get the component.

But this....
monsta said:
The only bottleneck here I can see is the Motherboard not allowing the clocks to go higher and the limitation of the 4GB ram which is a problem for games like BF3.

I +1 this. I am very willing to go higher with my current OC but I dont really know much about overclocking and plus, i read somewhere that G41 chipsets (Socket 775's) are locked to a max of around 400 FSB. Therefore i cannot get a higher OC with my Q8300 with my G41 motherboard.

I dont know where this is going but i think my main question was already answered and this is crossing into the OverClocking section.
But if you guys dont mind, would you care to help me OC to whatever clock i need to be able to run a 670 smoothly? OR is there no way at all that i will be able to go higher than 2.92Ghz with this motherboard?

Thanks again in advance.
m
l
!