What do I need to play FPS shooters on my PC?

Hello, I'm fairly new to upgrading parts in my PC to further the experience of First Person Shooters. I was told my a friend that all I would need to do it upgrade my Graphics Card, and a Power Supply. I am looking to not play the games on Ultra settings but just not have the apparent lag while playing through a level.

The games I currently have and would like to play again are: ( Battlefield 3, Bulletstorm, Homefront, Crysis 2, Minecraft, Left 4 Dead 2, Battlefield Bad Company 2, and a few other titles that I would like to buy like (War Hammer 40k, and Modern Warefare 3).

The PC I have was purchased from Best Buy for a little less than $500. So there hasn't been any customization on is what-so-ever.

My Girlfriend recently purchased a new Graphics Card to improve her Sims 3 game. She purchased a card for about $74 and claims it fixed her problem with ease. That is what I want to fix, the apparent lag while I'm playing my FPS's. At the same time, be able to even play these games on Medium graphic settings.

I see a lot of people telling the community about their cash flow or budget they would like to spend on this, and mine is no more than $250-$300.

So to sum up I guess is, I have these First Person Shooter and others, that I can't play because even on the lowest of the low settings, they are still too slow to play without frustration and serious Rage quitting.

If there are serious answers to my problem, please help me!
31 answers Last reply
More about what play shooters
  1. What is your current computer build?

    Power supply?
    Motherboard?
    Processor?
    RAM?
  2. it's possible you could buy a graphics card like your girlfriend did. but without knowing any specs on the computer you currently have it's hard to say. 300 isn't enough to build a new computer, maybe 400-500. try to find your CPU and motherboard models.. or googling your computer model :)
  3. ugh i was beat to it
  4. twystedfyre said:
    it's possible you could buy a graphics card like your girlfriend did. but without knowing any specs on the computer you currently have it's hard to say. 300 isn't enough to build a new computer, maybe 400-500. try to find your CPU and motherboard models.. or googling your computer model :)


    I will give you this one and just read... Check up on you... :na:
  5. K I'm looking those things up for you guys
  6. Power Supply= 300w

    Motherboard= Don't know but it's a Gateway, mod # DX4860

    Processor= Intel-Core i5-2320 CPU, 3.00 GHz

    Ram= 8G
  7. Well, the easy route would be to simply get a radeon hd 7750, this would play bf3 on medium at 60 fps.

    Your girlfriend probably bought a radeon hd 6670 but for only $30 more you can get a card that is 2x as powerful.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102969

    If you need a low profile card

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150612
  8. However for gaming at ultra on the cheap get these two items for $180 after mir

    This is way better then the first recomendation for $80 more

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150608

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026
  9. samuelohagan said:
    Well, the easy route would be to simply get a radeon hd 7750, this would play bf3 on medium at 60 fps.

    Your girlfriend probably bought a radeon hd 6670 but for only $30 more you can get a card that is 2x as powerful.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102969

    If you need a low profile card

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150612


    BF3 medium 60 fps? What? You mean on low.
  10. Yes she bought the 6670.

    So that's what you think is best for my situation, is to get the HD 7750 and it should be enough to play all the games I play without the bad lag. Also I forgot to mention that I don't play Online, only Campaigns.
  11. samuelohagan said:
    However for gaming at ultra on the cheap get these two items for $180 after mir

    This is way better then the first recomendation for $80 more

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150608

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026


    His PSU won't stand up.
  12. Multiplayer yes, Single Player no
  13. Rammy391 said:
    Yes she bought the 6670.

    So that's what you think is best for my situation, is to get the HD 7750 and it should be enough to play all the games I play without the bad lag. Also I forgot to mention that I don't play Online, only Campaigns.


    Oh. If you only play on campaign, the 7750 should be good enough for 60 fps on low/medium at 1080p.
  14. Heres some more good power supplies:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151093
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371044
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371051

    Just food for thought. I don't know how far you want to take this machine so... Food for thought.

    Your processor is very decent. Assuming you don't want to swap out the motherboard any time soon I would just grab the seasonic model as it is modular. (can only connect the cables you absolutely need and reduces clutter in your case)

    Also @samuel that corsair doesn't have 2x 6pin so he would need to get an adapter for that particular GPU you selected.

    Other than that I would grab a 7850/7870 depending on how much you want to spend.

    But yes you will be required to upgrade your power supply when upgrading the GPU to anything other than a 7750. Even then a 300w PSU is iffy.

    Edit: Oh and measure your case before buying a GPU to make sure you have enough space between the back(where the card sits in the PCI-E slot) and the HDD cage.
  15. mouse24 said:
    Heres some more good power supplies:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151093
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371044
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371051

    Just food for thought. I don't know how far you want to take this machine so... Food for thought.

    Your processor is very decent. Assuming you don't want to swap out the motherboard any time soon I would just grab the seasonic model as it is modular. (can only connect the cables you absolutely need and reduces clutter in your case)

    Also @samuel that corsair doesn't have 2x 6pin so he would need to get an adapter for that particular GPU you selected.

    Other than that I would grab a 7850/7870 depending on how much you want to spend.

    But yes you will be required to upgrade your power supply when upgrading the GPU to anything other than a 7750. Even then a 300w PSU is iffy.


    Theres two samuels. >:(
  16. However the $180 one will allow you to play games for a long time. Also, since the psu is a quality corsair unit, it is less likely to be overloaded by the gpu.
  17. samuelspark said:
    Theres two samuels. >:(


    I meant the other one :)
  18. Doesn't the 7850 require one 6 pin :o
  19. samuelohagan said:
    Doesn't the 7850 require one 6 pin :o


    Most of them. Some require dual 6pins or a 6+2pin.

    This one only requires one 6pin: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150617
  20. I second the 7750. Its the max you are going to get into that system without going with a lot of new parts. I think you would be happy with it at medium settings at a decent resolution playing most games.
  21. If you end up purchasing a PSU, I recommend either the Antec VP450 for $40 or Rosewill RG630 for $50. Both are 80+ and are more than able to put out their labeled wattage.
  22. To be completely honest I'm dumbfounded by all this "6+2pin" talk. All I need is someone who knows what I need to play these games on single player campaigns, so I can order these products and start playing.

    I know I'll need a new power supply for the GPU cause it will need more power to run the higher graphics games. I need someone to give me a link or two to the products i'd need and for them to tell me "This will do the job, and is all you'd need"
  23. I need a card that fits a 2.1 x 16
  24. That is any modern card.

    Get this card :

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102984

    AND this Power supply :

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371045

    That leaves you at 240 bucks.

    If you think that is too much to spend, this will do instead :

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102993

    To be honest the HD7770 is good enough for you.
  25. /shrug we do get carried away in conversation some times. Just grab whatever you like in whatever price bracket your in. Reading some benchmarks might not be a bad idea to determine what your preferred price/performance ratio is.

    Oh and any PCI-E card will fit in a PCI-E 16x slot.
  26. Some graphic cars require one, some two 6-pin power connectors. Some power supplies have no 6-pin connectors for graphics cards, some have one, and some have two. You'll need to match up the power connectors of the card you choose with the power supply you either have or will purchase. Otherwise you won't be happy.
  27. How do I find out what the size of my PCI slot is?
  28. All the PCI-E slots are the same size. It's just a matter of bandwidth.
  29. samuelohagan said:
    Well, the easy route would be to simply get a radeon hd 7750, this would play bf3 on medium at 60 fps.

    Your girlfriend probably bought a radeon hd 6670 but for only $30 more you can get a card that is 2x as powerful.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102969

    If you need a low profile card

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150612


    Oh, Really, Man ??? I didn't know 7750 was so powerful !!!
  30. Lol hope you are being sarcastic.
  31. Novuake said:
    Lol hope you are being sarcastic.


    i dont think hes being sarcastic hes dead serious. 7750 is the single most powerful card in the world that runs on the power provided by the pcie slot alone !!!
    7750 has the power of a 4870/5770 which were considered powerful mid range cards just a couple of years back. ;)
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Product