Sign in with
Your question

PS2 via TV Tuner Card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 11, 2012 9:44:31 PM

Hi,

I recently have had an urge to replay some of my old PS2 games. However, since I currently do not have a TV, I was wondering if it would be possible to play VIA my pc.

My current monitor is an LG W2261VP which has a HDMI, DVI and VGA inputs. From my research, I found that there isnt an efficient way of hooking up a PS2 via any of the inputs using converting adaptors. (I could be mistaken)

Therefore, the only result which I believe I can play my PS2 through my pc is by using a TV capture card. My pc specs are:
AMD II X4 Phenom B55 processor
ATI 5770 Graphics Card
4GB RAM

I've been looking around and found a TV Capture Card called the-Hauppauge-pvr-150 at a decent price. It has the S-video input along with the Yellow/Red/White inputs (Sorry forgot the name) So my question is, would I be able to use a TV capture card such as the hauppauge pvr 150 to hook up my PS2 with my current pc specs and receive a decent, playable fps?

Thank you,

K4zabdin

More about : ps2 tuner card

May 11, 2012 9:58:00 PM

Quote:
You can play PS2 using the PCSX2 emulator, although you need a shedload of raw CPU horsepower for certain games, (MGS series/Gran turismo/Shadow of the collossus to name a few).

The emulator is basically, popping a PS2 disc into your PC and playing it... simple.
Nope maybe not.

It also requires alot of fine tweaking for the host system.

Ok that aside, i do not think you can play PS2 through your TV tuner card at all.

Thanks for the quick response. I have tried using the PCSX2 emulator. It works great for some games however, like you mentioned it requires loads of CPU horsepower to run games like as MGS etc which my current PC cannot provide.

Any other suggestions? I've read that linking the ps2 via a TV tuner is the only possible option other than a VGA box, but im not entirely sure. :-/
!