ThumbsPlus: Any convenient way to display JPEG level?

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
August 8, 2005 11:55:41 PM

I've been doing a faux SaveAs and then aborting it.

Seems like there sb some way to make it show in the pic's stats though.

My agenda is to put a bunch of otherwise-identical pix in there saved at three
different JPEG levels and see what I can/can't live with quality-wise.
--
PeteCresswell
Anonymous

(PeteCresswell) commented thusly:

> I've been doing a faux SaveAs and then aborting it.
>
> Seems like there sb some way to make it show in the pic's
> stats though.
>
> My agenda is to put a bunch of otherwise-identical pix in
> there saved at three different JPEG levels and see what I
> can/can't live with quality-wise.

I've never run across a method of detecting the JPEG setting
used on an image after the fact, if that's what your asking.

My fav app is Paint Shop Pro, been using it since V1, now on
9. I use it's JPEG Optimizer exclusively as it shows a real-
time running change of file size with differing JPEG and
Chroma subsampling settings. But, I don't believe the preview
pane adequately shows potential image damage, so I always
immediately re-open my just-saved JPEGS before I blow away the
in-memory bit map.

"Quality" is perception and personal preference as much as it
is "science" and, IMHO, depends greatly on the subject content
and the intended use. I don't believe there is any single
"right" answer. You can compress much higher if your intent is
to post to the web or just create albums to E-mail to friends,
but you'll want much higher quality if you want to display at
high resolutions and even more quality if you want to print
larger than 4 x 6. Of course, if your intent is printing,
you'll also want to ensure you have enough PPI.

For my subjects, some general photography but mostly cars, I
find that anything over about 15 shows damage to the fine
detail. With experience, I've been able to develop good
estimates of what file size in KB should be, but I often find
myself saving as low as JPEG=8 with certain images.

BTW, if you want to save some KB and don't need EXIF, set your
graphics app to /not/ save EXIF.
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 7:35:10 AM

When u open a jpeg image in it's own window the basic file specs are
listed at the base of the window. It's listed along with the image
dimensions, zoom level etc. Why haven't you noticed it????? Have u
removed the status line option in the view menu perhaps?????
(The 'S' key un/hides the status bar).

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
> I've been doing a faux SaveAs and then aborting it.
>
> Seems like there sb some way to make it show in the pic's stats though.
>
> My agenda is to put a bunch of otherwise-identical pix in there saved at three
> different JPEG levels and see what I can/can't live with quality-wise.
August 10, 2005 7:35:11 AM

Per kubalister:
>When u open a jpeg image in it's own window the basic file specs are
>listed at the base of the window. It's listed along with the image
>dimensions, zoom level etc. Why haven't you noticed it?????

Just base stupidity, I guess. That would be the little sub-field that says
something like "Q75", right?

Thanks - that's a lot more convenient than doing a Save.

Gonna send them a Wish List item about capturing that into the DB when building
thumbnails and then displaying it in the Info tab.
--
PeteCresswell
!