Newegg says 378 wattz, but the gpu's site says 450 or greater?

BowlOfRice7

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
Hello! This is my first post, and I have a question.
So, on the Newegg power supply calculator, I put in this.
CPU - Intel 2 Quad Core Series
MoBo - Regular - Desktop Motherboard
Video Card - AMD Radeon HD 7770 <The graphic card I want
Memory - 8GB DDR3 <Guessing this means the same memory from dxdiag, it says 8192MB
Optical Drive - COMBO <Guessing this means that my computer can take DVD's and CD's
Hard Drive - 7200RPM
So, calculating this is 378 W. Mean while, on this website :
http://www.hisdigital.com/us/product2-68…
it says on specs 450 W or greater required.
Which one is correct?
I asked the same question on yahoo answers, and one guy says, "I'd say a 400 watt would be fine,since there's no 378 watt.
a full pc with it takes 250 watts,but since it needs a PCI-E auxiliary power connector and most psu's under 400 watts don't have PCI-E auxiliary connectors,and the fact that most 300 watts can't actually output 300 watts,you'd be better of going with a 400+ watt psu."
Is this true? And if so why? If it already explains it can someone dumb it down? Thanks!
(BTW is this in the right category?)

Solution

It's an excellent power supply, Seasonic is one of the best PSU manufacturers. This power supply can handle your current rig and more if you need to upgrade.

jrayx

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
Don't trust those power calculators, most times they're not accurate.
If you have a single GPU, with a quality 400 watt Power supply is more than enough. Power supply's under 400 watts does have a PCI-E connector, but only on quality ones (Like Antec or Seasonic) But you don't want to go with just the exact power for your PC, that may cause some problem, besides it gives you room to improve if you have to.

It's possible to get more power of the labeled wattage in quality PSU's.

jrayx

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012

It's an excellent power supply, Seasonic is one of the best PSU manufacturers. This power supply can handle your current rig and more if you need to upgrade.

Solution