Gtx 670 oc'ing

intoblack136

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
Got my 670 in the mail today :D ran a 3dmark and scored 8418 gpu score in 3dmark 11...like to note this card is the ref evga model with stock timings.

Anywho, I have evga precision installed now and Id like to give the card just a little nudge to match the superclocked timings, but I have no clue how these cards overclock. This whole boost thing is like greek to me, so if anyone can share a little insight it would be most appreciated.

Solution
Aha, I see now that's it's totally different in GTX 6000 series. But it's okay that's what I've came with;

You can't set the GPU clock to a specific number. All you can do right now is set an offset between the base block and the overclock that you want. So lets say the default clock is 915 mhz and we set the offset to "100mhz". That means it will clock itself to 1015mhz and then plus 50mhz from the GPU Boost. You just can't set any specific clock anymore like the traditional method. And no matter what voltages you set it to, the card will just override and do on its own.

Also read the overclocking guide of GTX 680
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-680-overclock-guide/
For Overclocking your GPU you start to bump up Core, Memory, Shader clocks by low value, say (50 MHz) then you test your OC stability (play games and make load on GPU)
if no problems happen (crashes,freezes, BSODs) then you're fine and you can bump those a little bit higher.
Repeat it many times until you reach the limits of your OC (until you crash or you get BSOD)

Note 1: Check temperatures after each OC you do.
Note 2: Don't mess up with voltages as long as you're stable. IF you're unstable bump up voltages a little bit high but i recommend you to ask first.

intoblack136

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011

I thank you very much for the quick reply, but thats how i have always understood oc'ing in general. With these new cards, gpu boost seems to be a pain and the voltages arent a problem, as I understand they are locked.

Aha, I see now that's it's totally different in GTX 6000 series. But it's okay that's what I've came with;

You can't set the GPU clock to a specific number. All you can do right now is set an offset between the base block and the overclock that you want. So lets say the default clock is 915 mhz and we set the offset to "100mhz". That means it will clock itself to 1015mhz and then plus 50mhz from the GPU Boost. You just can't set any specific clock anymore like the traditional method. And no matter what voltages you set it to, the card will just override and do on its own.

Also read the overclocking guide of GTX 680
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-680-overclock-guide/

Solution

intoblack136

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011

Thats exactly what i needed ty so much ily :)

re: HEAT

Previously graphics cards were all clocked at a point where you could not damage the card in most scenarios. However, then came apps like FURMARK which could actually damage a card at the stock frequency.

The new GPU Boost feature monitors and adjust the GPU frequency many times per second and won't allow the card to go above a specific thermal limit.

If GPU Boost detects that the thermal limit has NOT been reached it can increase the frequency to the GPU, resulting in better performance.

Overclocking:
There are lots of different articles on the net and it can get confusing. My advice is to overclock, but never try to push the limits since any card can still get damaged regardless of things like GPU Boost.

For the GTX670 with a reference cooler I'd probably recommend no more than 1100MHz for the base clock (assuming the base clock is 980MHz this is a 120MHz offset).