Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Got shocked by a generic PSU.

Last response: in Components
Share
November 14, 2012 1:35:04 AM

Hi, registered a new account just to ask a question :) 

So, I just got shocked by a psu that came with an old computer. Is this normal? Definitely not static. Under what circumstances will a psu have voltage on its case? thanks in advance.

More about : shocked generic psu

a b ) Power supply
November 14, 2012 1:58:09 AM

Other than the PSU, what else did you touch that wasn't connected to the same circuit?
m
0
l
November 14, 2012 3:26:26 AM

it was a PSU by itself. I turned it on using the paperclip trick, if that means anything.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
November 14, 2012 3:29:02 AM

Pretty sure you induced the shock sir.
m
0
l
November 14, 2012 3:44:14 AM

huh what ya mean induced?
m
0
l
November 14, 2012 8:52:04 AM

Meaning the power supply should be earthed to the wall socket, if done right.
If you have been scuffing around on the carpet while doing this or wearing nylon clothes or polyester, it was the static electricity leaving your body jumping to earth or ground on the PSU.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
November 14, 2012 9:00:01 AM

Dump the PSU and be more careful next time else you will always be wondering...
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
November 14, 2012 9:02:16 AM

If it had alot of dust it could be shorting to the case and you completed the circuit.
m
0
l
November 14, 2012 10:54:23 AM

wow thanks guys for the replies. I just went to readjust the connection to the mains and viola! no more current flowing through the case! :o  and yes it is a dusty PSU.
m
0
l
!