I5-2450m throttling?

filenotfound

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Well i recently got a new laptop, and the cpu like NEVER runs at 2.5ghz... highest ive actually seen was 1.8.... it averages 800mhz-1.6ghz.
i have the battery settings set to high performance, and set the cpu min/max to 100% on both battery and plugged in.
The bios has nothing, other then the option to disable turbo boost (no way to turn off speedstep), and ive tried with turbo boost on and off, makes zero difference.

Its annoying... if i wanted to allow my cpu to run dynamicly to save battery life, I should have the option to, not be FORCED to use that... really who the *** gives a *** about battery life -.-

it keeps making my computer freeze for a few seconds every like 10-20mins.
while gaming is works most of the time, but do get an occasional freeze because of cpu dropping randomly, but not nearly as much when like web browsing or etc

ive tried throttlestop, but apparently it ONLY works for extreme model cpus....
is there really NOTHING that i can get to force the cpu to run at 2.5ghz?

o ya i guess i should add
idle = about 40-45C
100% cpu load = 55-60C
Gaming = 60-70C
100% cpu/gpu load (prime95+furmark) = 84-87C

so its definitely not because of temperature.

unclewebb

Sep 11, 2007

That's not true. ThrottleStop 5.00 works correctly on a Core i5-2450M. It can not turn your CPU into an Extreme CPU but it fully supports your 2450M.

ThrottleStop 5.00
http://www.techinferno.com/downloads/

What monitoring software are you using that shows 800 MHz to 1600 MHz? CPU-Z 1.62 has recently been updated and is a little more accurate when a CPU is lightly loaded.

Better yet, turn off all other monitoring software and run ThrottleStop by itself. When gaming, click on the Log File option so you have an accurate record of what your CPU is really doing. When finished gaming, exit the game and then exit ThrottleStop and Copy and Paste the log file data to www.pastebin.com and post a link here.

Many laptops will throttle the CPU and GPU while trying to game on battery power. They do this to prevent too much energy being drawn from the battery too quickly. Using ThrottleStop to disable throttling while on battery power can permanently damage your battery and if you get unlucky, your laptop might catch on fire but that doesn't happen very often. Obviously you are doing this at your own risk.

Post a screen shot of how you have ThrottleStop set up. Once I see some log data then I can make some suggestions on how to get some more performance out of your CPU. What laptop model do you have? If your battery simply can not supply enough energy to your CPU and GPU while gaming, there isn't anything that is going to fix this but I need to see some more information to see what's really holding you back.

Run a single thread of the TS Bench. Post a screen shot of that while the benchmark is running so I can see what multipliers are being reported across your cores. Computer freeze ups might be hard drive related. What hard drive model do you have?

filenotfound

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012

i never game on battery lol

well i still dont think throttle stop literally does anything, as it still drops below 2.5ghz, but i guess the log file is useful as i can actually see logs while gaming, and it does mostly sit between 2.4ghz-2.9ghz, but occasional drops to 1.5-1.8ghz.
But isnt it supposed to make it always run at 2.5ghz+ all the time?
and while not gaming, turning it on, literally shows no change at all. sits at under 2.0ghz all the time (ya i know it doesnt need to be higher, but if i set it to run at 100%, it should run at 100%).

and i figured out it was something else causing the random application freezes. Apparently defraging can lower performance... it was either that or cpu throttling, and i didnt want to believe defraging can possibly lower performance. And on the net, ive never seen 1 post about anyone ever having negative results from defraging.

last night
I did memory tests, check out fine.
Ran a chkdsk /f, and it found errors and fixed them (i noticed it started happening after a defrag from safe mode using auslogics defrag utility, which ive used since like vista). Since it fixed errors, its worked fine w/o problem.

and on my old laptop, every time i did a defrag i would notice a little drop in disk performance aswell.

And on this laptop, they though it was a good idea to NOT include a hdd activity led -___-
so i couldn't even tell if when the freezing was occurring, if that hdd was being accessed or not. (as my old laptop, the hdd activity light was always solid when it happened), I just chopped it up to the 5400rpm hdd being slow. Have a 7200rpm in this laptop though.

unclewebb

Sep 11, 2007

One of the first things you said in your original post was, "i have the battery settings set to high performance" so I assumed that you were trying to game at full speed while on battery power. Many people don't realize that modern gaming laptops consume a lot of power when gaming and some laptops deliberately throttle when running on battery power to protect the battery from getting damaged.

A Core i5-2450M is a mobile processor, not a desktop processor. They work a little differently. There is a Windows registry mod you can do which will lock your CPU at 2.5 GHz. This will disable the deeper sleep states like C3 and C6. The result is that your CPU will consume more power and run hotter when lightly loaded. Another problem with this mod is that it disables Intel Turbo Boost. Most laptop owners are not interested in this mod but it is simple to try and you can easily go back to your original settings if you don't like the results.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hardware-components-aftermarket-upgrades/531329-throttlestop-guide-75.html#post7783166

ThrottleStop is designed to over come many of the throttling problems that different laptops have these days. You can not use it to lock a non-Extreme mobile CPU at a fixed multiplier. If the deeper C sleep states are enabled, when the CPU has nothing to do, the CPU multiplier will randomly wander between the lowest multiplier and 25. This is normal and is exactly what Intel designed their mobile CPUs to do. As soon as there is a load on the CPU, the multiplier should jump up and start using the Turbo Boost multipliers.

Run a single thread of the TS Bench and post a screen shot of that while the benchmark is running. If you have C3/C6 enabled, you should be seeing a multiplier a lot higher than the default 25 multiplier. When gaming, the multiplier you see in the log file should be higher than 25. If it is not, post a log file so I can have a look.

If your CPU does not have an actual throttling problem then you are right, running ThrottleStop will not do anything to increase the performance or your laptop but the log file data is second to none when you are trying to determine if your laptop has a throttling problem or not.

filenotfound

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012

not to sound rude, but did you only read the part you quoted? :3

i explained everything in that 2nd post, saying it wasnt a throttling problem. And that in the log file while gaming 90% of the time it was 2.5ghz-2.9ghz, with a drop every few seconds to like 1.5ghz then back up to like 2.4, 2.8, 2.9 2.5 2.7, etc.

Its just i dont have the option to have the cpu always running at 2.5ghz (normal) and then also have turbo boost enabled If i wanted to. I would probably keep it like it is now unless i did run into problems with say like fps or performance drops due to the cpu.
But i like having the option to, im upset that you have absolutely no control over the fact.

i just hate being forced to have or not have something. Like this toshiba laptop has the integrated graphics disabled, and no way to possibly use them. (even tho the cpu itself has them and the motherboard supports them). And also they force you to only use their drivers, you cant get them from amd, only toshiba, which are really outdated. So i had to go get custom unofficial drivers....
Its not like it hurts them or costs them money to leave things unlocked, if anything its the opposite. They are wasting money and resources locking people out of things.... i dont get it...
I can see the point in maybe defaulting like that, but there should be options to enable these things.

And by "battery setting" i meant power setting. Thought that would have been obvious with context surrounding it :3