Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

New Build under 750

Last response: in Systems
Share
July 5, 2012 6:38:27 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: in the next 2 months

Budget Range: Around 700-750

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, HD movies, Folding@home.

Parts Not Required:CPU, Keyboard, mouse, monitor, OS (I can transfer my OS registration to a new computer if I un-register the old one according to Microsoft forums, correct me if I am wrong though)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Country: USA

Parts Preferences: ASUS motherboard and graphics card, G. Skill RAM

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe in the Future

Monitor Resolution: 46" HD TV 1080p

Additional Comments: Noise does not really matter and I would like a side panel window but airflow is more important. Also I want to keep a small SSD boot drive and for storage use an external hard drive I already have that has eSATA and USB 3.0.

For CPU my friend is buying me a CPU and I was thinking either FX-6200 for a more budget thing to not break his bank, or for more a i5 3570K.

More about : build 750

July 6, 2012 12:38:50 AM

Quote:
Here you go:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G43 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($52.07 @ Amazon)
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($214.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Zalman Z9 ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: OCZ 550W ATX12V Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $764.99


Thanks for the build. That seems great. but I do not need the CPU because I am getting one as a gift, so should I bump up my video card or get a better psu and heatsink/watercooling with that money?
m
0
l
Related resources
Anonymous
July 6, 2012 8:33:07 AM

rishiswaz said:

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, HD movies, Folding@home.

then you want a fermi gpu
EVGA 015-P3-1480-KR GeForce GTX 480 $209.99
it runs hot, sucks power like a politician but it is a folding beast. oh yeah, it games great beating quite a few newer high end cards when overclocked properly.

now if you do not have the ability to help support the local power company while doing an admiral job helping find a cure for cancer; a GTX 570 would be a better choice.
Galaxy 57NKH3DH5PXK MDT X4 GeForce GTX 570 $259.99
$239.99 after mail-in rebate card

now i ain't hating when i say forget the FX6200 when gaming, it barely beats a Phenom II x4 980 overclocked 4.5Gz


so go with the i5-3570K.
i know you specified asus but asrock is its sister company or spin off, you know like the jeffersons were to all in the family; just as good.
ASRock Z75 Pro3 $84.99
its a shame that the Z75 chipset isn't popular nearly like the Z77, its the same chipset just w/o ISRT; that no one uses anyway (isrt is when you use a small SSD for a cache for a larger platter) actually only other one made is by biostar and they charge the same price as a Z77.
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO $34.99
G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) $45.99
$7.56 Shipping
Corsair TX650 V2 $62.99
if you're not going to SLI now you probably won't in the near future so why kid ourselves with a big PSU.
SAMSUNG 22X DVD $16.99
$4.99 Shipping
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB $64.99
Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe MX $114.99
btw, if you didn't know it the SSD is for your OS and games with the WD platter for your storage, ok?
Coolermaster Storm Scout Black $44.99
that case is almost half price. i can't understand people spending so much on a case; it's like a pimp wanting to bling out their favorite hooker or something.

TOTAL with shipping $483.47

that leaves $266.53 to choose either of the graphic cards i listed above. if you change your mind on the F@H then i would highly recommend:
MSI R7870 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC $299.99
$279.99 after mail-in rebate card
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB $309.99
$294.99 after mail-in rebate card

i understand that the sapphire overclocks better but i could have heard wrong.

thanks for letting me shop.
m
0
l
July 6, 2012 8:35:08 AM

I'd get a better PSU personally. The money you'll save on the CPU is a great bargain, I'd aim for a 750w at least. Then with whats left over consider getting an aftermarket CPU cooler. The hyper 212+ is great and dirt cheap.

I'd also pick and choose when to buy an HDD, truth is if you wait for a sale on the egg (Usually every 4 days I've seen) you'll be able to snag a solid 1TB 7200rpm drive for $89 or less.

Lastly, if you have anything left over before buying the case... Please pick something better. Hell for $55 you can get the Antec 300 which is imo better than most at that price point.

Also in response to buying a better case being, "equal to pimping out your favorite hooker..." Sure at some point it becomes excessive; However more space, better build quality, more features, and a bit of pizzazz? Is that really so bad for another $30?
m
0
l
Anonymous
July 6, 2012 8:47:44 AM

noidis said:
I'd get a better PSU personally. The money you'll save on the CPU is a great bargain, I'd aim for a 750w at least. Then with whats left over consider getting an aftermarket CPU cooler. The hyper 212+ is great and dirt cheap.

I'd also pick and choose when to buy an HDD, truth is if you wait for a sale on the egg (Usually every 4 days I've seen) you'll be able to snag a solid 1TB 7200rpm drive for $89 or less.

Lastly, if you have anything left over before buying the case... Please pick something better. Hell for $55 you can get the Antec 300 which is imo better than most at that price point.

Also in response to buying a better case being, "equal to pimping out your favorite hooker..." Sure at some point it becomes excessive; However more space, better build quality, more features, and a bit of pizzazz? Is that really so bad for another $30?

everyone is a critic.

how about helping and posting a build?

firstly before you suggest the wattage of a PSU please know what your talking about instead of a randomly generated number in your head. :pfff: 
m
0
l
July 6, 2012 8:56:54 AM

Someone posted a relevant build when I first replied, he asked questions about it.

In this case where he should use the money saved on not having to purchase a CPU. I simply offered advice as to where the money should go. I happened to see after I posted someone claiming that a better case is not worth it, which is far from the truth and decided to add it in.

I also posted the names of a product (A case) that he could look into purchasing, as well as a target PSU wattage that was ample to get him what he needed now and provide overhead for later.

If you want to accost me for offering someone another opinion to your obviously "100% correct and perfect" opinion, please take it to my private message box. It's horribly tacky to simply jump someones throat because you feel like your credibility was threatened on an online forum to help people.



As for links,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - Antec 300 / $54.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - hec Zephyr MX 750 / $69.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - CM hyper 212+ / $29.99

Solid products all of them. And below the budget when you consider the original build - the CPU suggested as OP already has one.
m
0
l
Anonymous
July 6, 2012 9:15:36 AM

noidis said:
Someone posted a relevant build when I first replied, he asked questions about it.

In this case where he should use the money saved on not having to purchase a CPU. I simply offered advice as to where the money should go. I happened to see after I posted someone claiming that a better case is not worth it, which is far from the truth and decided to add it in.

I also posted the names of a product (A case) that he could look into purchasing, as well as a target PSU wattage that was ample to get him what he needed now and provide overhead for later.

If you want to accost me for offering someone another opinion to your obviously "100% correct and perfect" opinion, please take it to my private message box. It's horribly tacky to simply jump someones throat because you feel like your credibility was threatened on an online forum to help people.



As for links,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - Antec 300 / $54.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - hec Zephyr MX 750 / $69.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - CM hyper 212+ / $29.99

Solid products all of them. And below the budget when you consider the original build - the CPU suggested as OP already has one.


i take back what i said after seeing that PSU; you can help by NOT posting a build. as far as where the funds ought to go, even though the OP won't need a CPU, with just $750 it is still better to prioritize function over form.

and hey sorry if you can't take public criticism, maybe you ought to remember that before you say something.
m
0
l
July 9, 2012 3:47:26 AM

Ok, is the PCIe 3.0 vs 2.0 difference worth it to get a Ivy Bridge vs a Sandy bridge or AMD offering on the CPU. Like if I buy a 7850 for 250 and plug it in with a SB processor will there be significant performance hits?
m
0
l
Anonymous
July 9, 2012 3:55:30 AM

significant? no unless you need the added bandwidth for a multi card set up for multiple monitors
m
0
l
July 9, 2012 5:44:40 PM

So if I am going with a single GTX 560TI I should be fine on a p67 chipset?
m
0
l
Anonymous
July 9, 2012 5:57:41 PM

yes, it would be fine with any chipset.
m
0
l
July 9, 2012 6:11:54 PM

I'd still go with the 7850 since it's the better GPU and you listed gaming as first priority.
m
0
l
July 9, 2012 6:35:14 PM

The Z75 chipset has PCIe 3.0 right?
m
0
l
Anonymous
July 9, 2012 6:40:50 PM

it is the CPU that has the PCI controller
sandy bridge - PCI 2.0
ivy bridge PCI 3.0
on any gen3 h61, h67, z68 or z77, b75, h77 z75 motherboard

and in case you are wondering, a PCI 3.0 card will work with PCI 2.0
m
0
l
July 9, 2012 6:42:35 PM

oh so as long as I have a ivy CPU and PCIe 3.0 it will be fine
m
0
l
Anonymous
July 9, 2012 6:45:25 PM

a PCI 3.0 graphics card will work with both sandy cpu (pci 2.0) and ivy cpu (pci 3.0)
m
0
l
July 9, 2012 7:04:10 PM

oh so if I get a 2500K instead of a 3570K it will work?
m
0
l
Anonymous
July 9, 2012 7:10:19 PM

yes
m
0
l
July 9, 2012 7:16:24 PM

isn't sandy bridge better for overclocking? I plan to overclock my CPU so should I get the 2500K?
m
0
l
Anonymous
July 9, 2012 7:39:39 PM

it is a trade off. sandy overclocks higher but a ivy performs better.
i'll put it this way:
sandy @4.8Ghz = ivy @4.5Ghz
m
0
l
July 9, 2012 7:48:32 PM

oh, but if I get a hyper 212+ will ivy's heat problems be ok? I heard that OCing ivy gets you really high temperatures?
m
0
l
Anonymous
July 9, 2012 7:58:05 PM

this article is a good read:
Undervolting and Overclocking on Ivy Bridge

it pretty much describes how keeping the voltages down will help getting a higher overclock because it is the voltage needed that causes the heat.

and also keep in mind not all cpus are the same; one chip may just need 1.05 to go to 4.5Ghz but another one may need 1.10 and would be a little warmer than the first.

a hyper 212+ is good. if you can get a 212 EVO because the it has more copper that contacts the cpu and will keep the temps a little lower. if not, thats ok. a 212+ is much better than the stock heatsink by far.
m
0
l
July 9, 2012 8:24:54 PM

Is a cd/dvd reader necessary? I mean games are digital distribution now and I mainly play movies through Netflix and Hulu+. Also windows can install through a USB drive so do I really need one? It is like 16 bucks but in CA we have sales tax on Newegg online purchases so it adds up.
m
0
l
Anonymous
July 9, 2012 8:29:14 PM

thats funny, you made me realize how obsolete those are becoming . . if you end up needing one, you can always pick on up for about the same money at a store.
m
0
l
July 9, 2012 8:41:31 PM

And I think that I will be getting a 64gb SSD as a boot drive and some programs and games, then buy a bracket for my laptop hard drive and just keep that as temporary storage untill I find a good deal on a 1TB hard drive. Does that seem like a good idea?
m
0
l
July 9, 2012 8:49:45 PM

Also how is a GTX 560Ti Superclocked form EVGA?
m
0
l
Anonymous
July 9, 2012 8:58:24 PM

i am not sure a 64 gb SSD is worth bothering with; you can't put much on it. might be better to get a platter and then buy a bigger SSD when you have the money. but what you asked will work.

the price and performance of the 560ti SC is so close the a 570, shame you can't afford $25 to get one.
m
0
l
July 9, 2012 9:13:44 PM

Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
$49.99

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB
$119.99


MSI N570GTX Twin Frozr II GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi)
$249.99

SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W
$89.99


G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)
$59.99


ASRock Z75 Pro3 LGA 1155 Intel Z75
$84.99


COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO
$34.99

Subtotal: $689.93
Tax: $50.02
Shipping: $10.10

m
0
l
July 9, 2012 9:15:04 PM

it comes out to 750.05 so that seems to good to me
m
0
l

Best solution

Anonymous
July 9, 2012 9:31:58 PM

it look fine to me also. wow you get hammered with that tax.
Share
July 9, 2012 11:29:53 PM

Yeah I know, I would have a 700 dollar build but California sales tax even at just around 7% it adds 50 bucks.
m
0
l
July 9, 2012 11:30:48 PM

Best answer selected by Rishiswaz.
m
0
l
!