Status
Not open for further replies.

tb2s

Honorable
May 11, 2012
I recently bought an HIS Radeon HD 6750. Uninstalled old drivers, hooked it up and installed the latest drivers for the card. The card worked fine at first, but when I tried to run a game it froze up. The card will now freeze on the windows desktop just after loading up.

System specs:

Shuttle SN21g5

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 4600+
Ram: 2GB Corsair ddr400 sdram
PSU: Corsair TX 650 Watt

Solution
Sometimes re-seating the RAM will fix issues like you are experiencing. If I had been using my head, I should have suggested that first. That used to be an issue in the 'old' days of computers when the RAM sockets didn't have clips to hold the sticks firmly in place. Check that your RAM socket clips are fully locked into their notches in the RAM sticks. Have you gone back to using the newer card?

Had this not fixed the problem, I was going to agree with seamus_ar, that your PSU was failing.

tb2s

Honorable
May 11, 2012

Clutchc,

Thanks for responding. I downloaded and ran both the utilities you suggested. I left the computer on overnight and when I came out this morning it was fine until I started browsing websites. After about a minute it froze up again. Could this be a power or voltage issue?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Well, at least you're narrowing it down. Can you remove the new card and run a different graphics card or use the on-board graphics for awhile to see if the problem is still there? If this just started after installing the new HD 6750, it may well be an issue with the card. I presume the card was new and not used?

tb2s

Honorable
May 11, 2012

Ok, after clearing out the registry of old ATI stuff the card seems to be working somewhat for the moment. I've had it on for the past 4 hours with no problems until I tried to run a game. The computer froze up at the opening screen and I had to reboot. I'm using the new card now and it is working fine for everything except when trying to run a game. I've tried to run 3 or 4 different games now and the computer locks up every time. The card was bought new and my computer works just fine with my old x1650.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Well, it's seeming that the card is the issue. Or the driver. You have the correct driver for the HD 6750 and your O/S, right? I know you cleaned the old driver remnants with Driver Sweeper from safe mode. And ran CCleaner Clean and Registry both.

Assuming your PSU isn't fluctuating voltage on the +12V rail, I'd say it's pointing towards the card. Try one more thing. Run Furmark with the new card and watch the temps while you run the benchmark. http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

tb2s

Honorable
May 11, 2012
ok, just ran the benchmark and scored a 599 w/ max temp at 51 degrees. I installed the newest 6700 series driver from the AMD website. Driver version is 11.11 for Windows 7.

tb2s

Honorable
May 11, 2012
Cluthc,

Important news! After reinstalling my old card and drivers my computer is now locking up just as it did with the new HD 6750. Should I try to reinstall windows? or at least do a repair? This is so frustrating.....

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012

Your old card is messing up now?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Aha! So, the old card is doing the same thing. That makes more sense. Yes, if you don't mind starting over, let's try a fresh install of Win7. A clean start. However, you could do a Windows repair first if you don't want to start all over yet.

tb2s

Honorable
May 11, 2012

OK, still trying to salvage my computer before I am forced to do a clean install and lose all my data =(. The computer now seems to stutter(freezing every 2-3 minutes for about 30 seconds) until it finally freezes for good after about 10 minutes.

tb2s

Honorable
May 11, 2012
I forgot to add that the system was Idle all day and didn't freeze once. It was only when I started browsing the internet and downloading something that it froze.

tb2s

Honorable
May 11, 2012

That is what I'm starting to think but I have a pretty reputable PSU with only 3 years of use. It's a Corsair TX650 that I keep clean. Any known issues with these?

tb2s

Honorable
May 11, 2012

Clutch,

Thanks for all your help. Both ram modules passed the memory check with flying colors. After reseating both modules back in the computer has been running flawlessly! Is it common for a computer to fix itself? I can't imagine that reseating the ram did the trick. Again, thanks for everyones input. Time for some diablo 3!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Sometimes re-seating the RAM will fix issues like you are experiencing. If I had been using my head, I should have suggested that first. That used to be an issue in the 'old' days of computers when the RAM sockets didn't have clips to hold the sticks firmly in place. Check that your RAM socket clips are fully locked into their notches in the RAM sticks. Have you gone back to using the newer card?

Had this not fixed the problem, I was going to agree with seamus_ar, that your PSU was failing.

Solution

tb2s

Honorable
May 11, 2012

Clutch,

I am using the new card now. Thanks again for all your help =)

Status
Not open for further replies.