Sign in with
Your question

Opinion and advice on my second build:

Last response: in Systems
July 5, 2012 8:28:14 AM

My first build was fraught with little niggles. You can see the specs in my sig, but the thing of it was - it was a good build, but the parts didn't seem to fit together as well as I'd have liked. I want to avoid that this time around if I can.

My proposed build is the following:

Case : Haf 922
Motherboard : ASRock X79 Extreme6
Memory : 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
CPU : Core i7-3820 3.60GHz
PSU : Xigmatek NRP-PC702 700w
HDD : Samsung Spinpoint
DVD/RW : Samsung
GPU : Palit GTX 680 2GB

Those are the parts I want - what I'm concerned with is how well the actual build will go. As I said, my first build had little niggles. The motherboard kept lifiting in the corner where the connections were so they never quite aligned with the back of the case. In my opinion it didn't have enough screw holes to hold it in place, but this may have been a case issue. My graphics card, despite having a solid connection to the pci slot and two connectors in the case, would dip at the other end, putting strain on the slot. Cables were far too long and to be honest there were far too many of them.

Part of me thinks I should go pre-built, but I enjoy the challenge and the savings I make from building these things myself.

Essentially - has anyone had experience with the parts I've mentioned above? How well did it fit in your rig, anything I should look out for?

And lastly - any suggestions on the components? Is it a good build? Medium/High?

More about : opinion advice build

July 5, 2012 9:53:20 AM

Whats the use of this build? For gaming?
July 5, 2012 10:30:14 AM

I don't see much upgrade to be made over your current system. Just get a second 6950 IMO.
Related resources
July 5, 2012 5:16:51 PM

Nw333 said:
Whats the use of this build? For gaming?

Yes, for gaming and rendering videos.
July 5, 2012 5:19:53 PM

FinneousPJ said:
I don't see much upgrade to be made over your current system. Just get a second 6950 IMO.

I'm moving away from amd and radeon cards, so for me the build is necessary. Plus my processor is underwhelming and I'd need to get a new mobo at any rate...
July 5, 2012 5:29:11 PM

Lol how come?
July 6, 2012 9:35:41 AM

FinneousPJ said:
Lol how come?

Thanks for your replies, but I'm not looking to have my motivations questioned (not hiding anything, it's just not what my questions were about, if you read the original post :D  ) I wanted people's opinion on the proposed build and if someone had any of the parts mentioned or if they knew much about them, could they tell me if they have it in their rig, how well that went and if there was anything I should look out for in putting my parts together. I was asking for advice - not questions as to why I want to get a new rig (which should be obvious anyway as I say that there are problems with my current build.)

I doubt that this will get any informed opinions now - I'll get my advice somewhere else. Thanks again for trying though.

!