Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Please please help this dumb gal

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 12, 2012 1:34:56 AM

got a new ati rage 128pro varible 128-p 32_p full height pci graphic card. I have been trying all day to install it. Spent over an hour online with a so-called dell tech and 25 minutes with a super. They werer absolutely no help at all. I have the new pc but will be the 1st of june b4 i can get a cpu for it. I will never own another dell product, not even a keyboard. The bios has a feature in it under intergrated something or another with 2 opitions which are onboard or auto which is suppose to detect a graphic card. I have 3 pci slots and have put the gc into each one of them with no results. one of the slots has a 4port 2.0 usb pci card in it the other one has a davidcom ethernet pci card and they will work in any of the slots. i really don't know nything bout install graphic crds and wgt the steps may be. Somebody sid something bout disabling the on board graphics but i don't know anything bout that. I will need step by step instructions please. ima ready to trash this piece of junk and just might after I get the other pc up nd running

More about : please dumb gal

a c 291 U Graphics card
May 12, 2012 1:44:10 AM

Wow.. That graphics is like 12 years old o.O

Anyway, you should put it in the PCI slot, make sure it goes all the way in. When it is, you need to plug the monitor to that graphics card, and not the motherboard.

Is there a reason you're trying to install such an antiquary?
Score
May 12, 2012 3:16:49 AM

Sunius said:
Wow.. That graphics is like 12 years old o.O

Anyway, you should put it in the PCI slot, make sure it goes all the way in. When it is, you need to plug the monitor to that graphics card, and not the motherboard.

Is there a reason you're trying to install such an antiquary?

thanx for answering. the only reason i am trying to install it si that all i have now is onboard graphics and that realiy stinks and a dell tech said this card would work. guess what it doesn't and the dell tech and a supervisor couldn't wlk me through to get it up and running. i have tried it in all three pci slot and have hooked the monitor to it. i have even tried to change the bios from onboard in each slot to uto detect. yes this piece of junk is that old. heck you cn even change the aperture from 32mb up to 256 mb. have another pc that was given to me today it has a msi mobo but no cpu takes an am2 or am+ @95w. but cannot get until 1st of june . have very small fixed income and cuse of being in a wheelchair have special needs that takes most of wht little money i hve left over every month
Score
Related resources
May 12, 2012 3:19:02 AM

sorry about the spelling mistakes I guess my keyboard is going out next
Score
a c 171 U Graphics card
May 12, 2012 3:55:32 AM

Due to the age of the card, are you sure the card works?
Score
a b U Graphics card
May 12, 2012 4:40:52 AM

What model Dell machine do you have?
Score
a b U Graphics card
May 12, 2012 4:59:03 AM

Bad troll is bad.
Score
May 12, 2012 5:12:49 AM

4745454b said:
Due to the age of the card, are you sure the card works?

was told it had been refurbished. so no not sure but am ticked came off ebay
Score
a c 216 U Graphics card
May 12, 2012 5:18:18 AM

I'd be surprised that it would be better than the on board IGP. Keep the card as a collectable or toss it. Don't put it in your machine. It will not help.
Score
May 12, 2012 5:20:14 AM

quilciri said:
What model Dell machine do you have?

a piece of junk it is a dell 260gx optiplex mfg 2002. I hve done nothing but put money i really don't have into it but promise i will not spend another red cent on it and will tell anyone that is thinking bout buying a dell not to waste their money on junk like that. If dell techs cannot help you resolve a problem then you don't need their product if they cannot supply proper support for it. was told by a dell tech tht graphic card would work
Score
a c 171 U Graphics card
May 12, 2012 5:26:20 AM

Try it in a different machine. No telling what condition its in if its from ebay. I wish I had an old PCI card to toss your way as I'd do it for free, but I've dumped all my really old gear. Perhaps some other kind soul has a PCI card you can try in your computer.
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
May 12, 2012 5:26:26 AM

you need a new APU based machine to spin circles around your current PC.
a c 216 U Graphics card
May 12, 2012 5:28:08 AM

At least you know the computer is a piece of junk. You can't really fault Dell for this one. It's an antique. What do you expect? If you paid $20 for that thing, you paid too much.
Score
May 12, 2012 5:29:57 AM

bystander said:
I'd be surprised that it would be better than the on board IGP. Keep the card as a collectable or toss it. Don't put it in your machine. It will not help.

It s bad when you can only play hidden object games and if there is any animation in a scene it slows down so much that I can roll my wheelchair to the bathroom use it and roll back and it is just then removing the object you had found. I have games like sands of time, blood rayne, elder scrolls , and baldur's gate and i am unable to play them. Heck I cannot even play Uru: ages beyond myst. If I did not hve to have a pc to buy what i need then i would have junk this thing this evening. Ima pretty much house bound and do not get out cept to go to the doctors.
Score
May 12, 2012 5:35:01 AM

4745454b said:
Try it in a different machine. No telling what condition its in if its from ebay. I wish I had an old PCI card to toss your way as I'd do it for free, but I've dumped all my really old gear. Perhaps some other kind soul has a PCI card you can try in your computer.

I was given a msi tower(mobo) in a case has everything cept cpu. have docs and it says that it will accept am2 dual core and am+ @ 95w but it'll take me at least 3 months to save the money to get the cpu. i will be pulling this 500 nd 320 gig hdds outta here nd junk this thing
Score
May 12, 2012 5:38:46 AM

Ohmybad said:
you need a new APU based machine to spin circles around your current PC.

okay you got this dumb broad what the heck is an APU base machine?????
Score
a c 171 U Graphics card
May 12, 2012 6:22:24 AM

APUs are AMDs newest form of a CPU. It has the CPU and GPU (GC) all in one housing. They are pretty much perfect for flash based and older games like you play. The Rage card isn't DX7, so I'm not sure how well that will work for you.

A simple dual core AM2 CPU shouldn't be much. I see them on my used forums for <$30 all the time. And thats shipped. For example here is a 4600+ for $25.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1688858&highlight...

I'm sure there are others out there.
Score
May 12, 2012 7:27:26 AM

4745454b said:
APUs are AMDs newest form of a CPU. It has the CPU and GPU (GC) all in one housing. They are pretty much perfect for flash based and older games like you play. The Rage card isn't DX7, so I'm not sure how well that will work for you.

A simple dual core AM2 CPU shouldn't be much. I see them on my used forums for <$30 all the time. And thats shipped. For example here is a 4600+ for $25.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1688858&highlight...

I'm sure there are others out there.

right now it wouldn't matter if it was to $2.OO I cannot afford it til 1st of the month. No i do not need a heatsink. I ws also given A very large cpu cooling fan with the heatsink built in it is an ultra 12v. Had to order a new cushion for wheelchair, but thanx for the info and will sve the web address so i can contact em next month. what does the 4600+ means. I have a pcie graphic card for the other pc. It is a radeon with 256mb. I know it is not the best but it will have to do
Score
May 12, 2012 7:34:21 AM

bystander said:
At least you know the computer is a piece of junk. You can't really fault Dell for this one. It's an antique. What do you expect? If you paid $20 for that thing, you paid too much.

it was a dell tech that told me that card would work so yea i can fault em for it. the card was $13.80 including shipping but i cannot afford to throw even that small amount away on something that doesn't work
Score
a c 171 U Graphics card
May 12, 2012 7:36:17 AM

PM me your Address and zip please. I'll pick the best CPU thats close to you and see what we can come up with.
Score
May 12, 2012 7:46:54 AM

4745454b said:
PM me your Address and zip please. I'll pick the best CPU thats close to you and see what we can come up with.

not sure what you mean by pm but the address
Score
May 12, 2012 7:56:19 AM

Best answer selected by byotch.
Score
a c 175 U Graphics card
May 12, 2012 8:41:41 AM

Hey, don't post your address here. PM someone... This means that your address has gone public, delete it now or else!!!
Score
a c 171 U Graphics card
May 12, 2012 9:21:10 AM

Correct. I have the address. Go edit that post with your address in it and just remove everything. I'd remove the email address as well unless you love spam. I also ask any mod to please leave open until we find her a CPU.
Score
a b U Graphics card
May 12, 2012 11:47:19 AM

I you can tell me what the other board is,I may have a CPU for it.
Have a 4600+ and a 7750 black cpu on the shelf.
If either will fit your board I will ship for free.
Score
May 12, 2012 1:06:14 PM

Unolocogringo said:
I you can tell me what the other board is,I may have a CPU for it.
Have a 4600+ and a 7750 black cpu on the shelf.
If either will fit your board I will ship for free.

my new mobo is a msi K9N6PGM2 series design based on MCP(P)61/MCP(S)61/MCP(V)61 SOCKET IS 940 pin am2. Have docs says supports socket am2 for AMD Sempron, athlon 64 nd athlon 64 x2. under that it says supports socket AM2+ 95w processor only. It has 1 PC_E1 Socket, 1 PC_E2 socket, 2 PCI socket, 2 SATA sockets, 1 FDD socket and 1 Dual IDE socket (can run 2 hdds on this 1 socket). please tell me what PM your address so i will not put it in a post again. i didn't mean to mess up. told you guys ima dumb
Score
a c 171 U Graphics card
May 12, 2012 1:32:10 PM

The best bet is probably to just get the CPU and forget that old system. A CPU from 2002 and a <DX7 PCI "GPU" isn't going to handle modern day flash games well. So far the best option from the Hard thread is that 4600x2. I'll run it for a few days and see what pops up.
Score
May 12, 2012 2:03:25 PM

4745454b said:
The best bet is probably to just get the CPU and forget that old system. A CPU from 2002 and a <DX7 PCI "GPU" isn't going to handle modern day flash games well. So far the best option from the Hard thread is that 4600x2. I'll run it for a few days and see what pops up.

i have plans to give to a friend who doesn't have a pc. he wants it for music and a couple of different mah jong games and bejeweled but i am going to pull my 500 and 320 gigs outta of it because i already an 80gig in my desk drawer that is activated. told him this pc is an antique and not much good but i know these games will work for him plus this will be his first pc so he will be happy with it for a long time it will be a good learning pc for him because he dosen't know anything about pc so now once i get the other pc running i will be able to help someone else for a change
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
May 12, 2012 2:09:28 PM

Byotch said:
please tell me what PM your address so i will not put it in a post again.

Next to the users avatar (on the left) is an envelope icon, click on it to send that user a PM.
Score
a b U Graphics card
May 12, 2012 3:18:40 PM

Byotch said:
i have plans to give to a friend who doesn't have a pc. he wants it for music and a couple of different mah jong games and bejeweled but i am going to pull my 500 and 320 gigs outta of it because i already an 80gig in my desk drawer that is activated. told him this pc is an antique and not much good but i know these games will work for him plus this will be his first pc so he will be happy with it for a long time it will be a good learning pc for him because he dosen't know anything about pc so now once i get the other pc running i will be able to help someone else for a change

I sent you a private message.
Score
a c 171 U Graphics card
May 12, 2012 4:44:57 PM

Rick, if you are going to give her those parts let me know so i can close the other thread.
Score
a b U Graphics card
May 12, 2012 4:50:01 PM

Will give parts but have not heard from her. I will look for the other thread.
Score
May 12, 2012 5:23:37 PM

Unolocogringo said:

i thought i had replied to you. SORRY!!!! the mobo is a MSI K9N6PGM2 Desigened based on MCP(P)61/MCP(S)61/MCP(V)61 chipset. Docs says It supports AM2 for AMD Sempron, Athlon 64, and Athlon 64 x2 and it also says it supports AM+ 95W processor only. the socket is a 940 pin. anything else you need bout pc let me know, PLEASE
Score
May 12, 2012 5:30:43 PM

Unolocogringo said:

Score
May 12, 2012 5:40:27 PM

4745454b said:
Rick, if you are going to give her those parts let me know so i can close the other thread.

SORRY!!! Thought i had replied 2 u and RICK. IT IS A MSI K9N6PGM2 designed based on MCP(P)61/MCP(S)61/MCP(V)61 CHIPSET. The socket is a 940 pin. the docs that came with the mobo says it supports AM2 for AMD Sempron, Athlon 64, Athlon 64 x2 and then it says it supports AM+ 95W processor only. if need more info PLEASE let me know. Had been up all night hurting and then laid down and slept for bout 3 1/2 hrs
Score
a b U Graphics card
May 12, 2012 8:04:38 PM

If you look under of my name .To the left of the picture you will see an envelope icom. Use that to Private Message me your shipping information .
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
May 12, 2012 8:26:49 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!