USB Flash Drives and Digital Cameras

Last response: in Digital Camera
August 9, 2005 9:40:33 AM

What is the difference between usb flash drives and digital camera memory
cards?
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 9:40:34 AM

"bbford" <bbford@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> What is the difference between usb flash drives and digital camera memory
> cards?

USB flash drives only have a standard USB connector on them, which can ONLY
be plugged into USB slots on computers. Flash memory for cameras have
connectors which fit in CARD slots...which cameras always have.

Memory cards CAN be used as flash drives, in the sense that they are just as
useful for transferring files, etc., so long as the computer has a card
reader that allows connection of the card.
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 11:50:01 AM

Jim Townsend wrote:
> bbford wrote:
>
> > What is the difference between usb flash drives and digital camera memory
> > cards?
>
> The shape.

A classic example of a technically correct but utterly useless reply!
Good job, Jim!
August 9, 2005 12:05:59 PM

www.flexusb.com for one card that is both.

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 05:40:33 GMT, "bbford" <bbford@yahoo.com> wrote:

>What is the difference between usb flash drives and digital camera memory
>cards?

Anonymous
August 9, 2005 1:04:29 PM

bbford wrote:

> What is the difference between usb flash drives and digital camera memory
> cards?

The shape.
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 1:18:04 PM

On 9 Aug 2005 07:50:01 -0700, "salgud" <davegb@safebrowse.com> wrote:

>Jim Townsend wrote:
>> bbford wrote:
>>
>> > What is the difference between usb flash drives and digital camera memory
>> > cards?
>>
>> The shape.
>
>A classic example of a technically correct but utterly useless reply!
>Good job, Jim!

Jim works for Microsoft, evidently. :-)

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

Bill Funk wrote:
> On 9 Aug 2005 07:50:01 -0700, "salgud" <davegb@safebrowse.com> wrote:
>

> >Jim Townsend wrote:

> >> The shape.
> >
> >A classic example of a technically correct but utterly useless reply!
> >Good job, Jim!
>
> Jim works for Microsoft, evidently. :-)

Was thinking after I sent my reply that I should have mentioned working
for MS!

> --
> Bill Funk
> replace "g" with "a"
> funktionality.blogspot.com
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 9:49:31 PM

salgud wrote:
> Jim Townsend wrote:
>
>>bbford wrote:
>>

>>>What is the difference between usb flash drives and digital camera memory
>>>cards?
>>
>>The shape.
>

> A classic example of a technically correct but utterly useless reply!
> Good job, Jim!

"Well, as answers go - short, to the point, utterly useless, and totally
consistent with what I've come to expect from a Vorlon"

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0532-1, 08/09/2005
Tested on: 8/9/2005 10:49:05 AM
August 10, 2005 2:06:35 PM

On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 23:31:00 -0700, "MarkĀ²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:

> USB flash drives only have a standard USB connector on them, which can ONLY
> be plugged into USB slots on computers. Flash memory for cameras have
> connectors which fit in CARD slots...which cameras always have.
>
> Memory cards CAN be used as flash drives, in the sense that they are just as
> useful for transferring files, etc., so long as the computer has a card
> reader that allows connection of the card.

You don't even need a card reader at times. My computer recognises my digital cameras as removable
drives, so I can simply use the camera as a portable hard drive.
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 2:06:36 PM

<grumpy@mailinator.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 23:31:00 -0700, "MarkĀ²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number
> here)@cox..net> wrote:
>
>> USB flash drives only have a standard USB connector on them, which can
>> ONLY
>> be plugged into USB slots on computers. Flash memory for cameras have
>> connectors which fit in CARD slots...which cameras always have.
>>
>> Memory cards CAN be used as flash drives, in the sense that they are just
>> as
>> useful for transferring files, etc., so long as the computer has a card
>> reader that allows connection of the card.
>
> You don't even need a card reader at times. My computer recognises my
> digital cameras as removable
> drives, so I can simply use the camera as a portable hard drive.

Right, except that many people who buy and use flash drives do so because
they don't want anything as large as even a digital camera for carrying
files around. :)  I did see one SD card itself that had a flip-down
portion...which allowed it to plug directly into a USB slot--an interesting
idea.
!