Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Problem upgrading netbook with SSD

Last response: in Systems
July 5, 2012 12:37:37 PM

I recently purchased a Toshiba NB305 netbook with the intention of installing the OCZ Vertex Turbo SSD I had been using as a boot drive on my desktop. (For life reasons I won't be needing the desktop so much starting in the fall.)

After completing the hardware portion of the instillation, the computer fails to boot. I receive the error "PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable" which at first led me to believe that the drive was just not recognized at all. But when I enter BIOS setup, the SSD is listed first in the boot order.

I know the drive works -- I can plug it into my desktop. And the netbook works fine with its old HDD. I'm willing to spend money on a new SSD if there's a known compatibility issue here, but not if a new drive is no more likely to work than what I have.

Any ideas?

*EDIT*

Ok, I now know that the SSD was never a boot drive -- even though I've been launching/running my OS off of it, it wasn't my boot drive at all. I'm still trying to figure out what I need to do to make it my boot drive. I've marked it as "active" through Computer Management but that just produced the error "BOOTMGR missing." Still, by reading online I feel that I'm getting on the right track. Thanks for any help!
a b B Homebuilt system
July 6, 2012 5:57:35 AM

Re-format the HDD and if need be, google some piece of software that allows you to create a boot sector on the drive.
m
l
July 6, 2012 1:58:46 PM

Thanks for the quick reply.

If I format the drive, can I keep the instalation of windows I have or will I have to purchase a new copy? If I can keep it, how do I do so?

You mentioned a program that would help me setup a boot partition. Can you recommend a particularprogram?

Thanks again for any help.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
July 6, 2012 5:40:24 PM

If you format the drive, you will lose everything, including your installation of windows.

If you're using a netbook, chances are that you're using Windows 7 Starter, which is less demanding in terms of space than other versions of Windows. How big is the HDD and how big is the SSD?

There are various free hard drive cloning programs out there, but the best option is to do a full reinstall of windows. Since you almost certainly have an OEM version (unless you installed it yourself from a retail copy?), make sure to back up EVERYTHING before you format. Find your Windows activation key (try Magic Jellybean or a similar software to find it, there's also a way to look it up via the Start menu but my work PC uses XP so I can't see it right now).

You can download an ISO of W7 Starter online, probably from MS website. Burn it to a DVD, format the hard drive, and try to reinstall with your activation key. If it works from there, great, just copy the rest of your files back to the netbook. If it doesn't, you'll need to call Microsoft and tell them that you added a hard drive for technical reasons and have them manually activate it for you.
July 15, 2012 5:40:21 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I was able to follow the advice and re-install windows (well, actually, upgrade to a non-starter version, but that was my intention to begin with.) I now have my old 60 gig SSD running smoothly on my new netbook and have backed up the data onto the HDD that came with the netbook.

Thanks for all the help!
m
l
July 15, 2012 5:42:10 PM

Best answer selected by mogtm.
m
l
!