Can't decide between 6950 or 7850

zijin_cheng

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
So basically I've decided that I want an Ivy bridge 3570k with a Z77/Z68 motherboard just so I can activate the PCI 3.0 for a vid card.

I'm torn between a 6950 and 7850, just because they both overclock so well, but then correct my if I'm wrong, but only the 7850s can be used in 3.0, 6950s are only 2.1, so they'll be a bit slower.

So basically I want to know two things, if both cards are running on PCI 2.1, which one would you recommend and if 7850 at 3.0, 7850? Also, suggestions for other cards are welcome. (oh ya and also just in pure percentages which one scales better to overclocking when compared to their respective stocks)

(You might have seen my little rant in the off topic discussion that I can't buy the super cheap 3570k in store only from microcenter because I'm from Canada and it takes me 6 hours to drive to Minneapolis...)

Oh yes i forgot, my budget range is probably a max of $250, and don't forget that since i'm from Canada, mail in rebates don't apply to me and I would be using this card maxxed out all the time, probably Crysis 1 for 3 months just to watch the ocean from my bedroom :kaola:

Solution
7850 hands down. Better performance, uses less power, less heat, overclocks better, usually cheaper since the 6950s are discontinued, and you'll be able to find another to crossfire if you want down the road.

Only reason to get a 6950 is if you get an amazing deal on one and even then I'd pay a little extra for a 7850. As was said PCIe 3.0 is completely irrelevant here, unless you needed to run it off an x4 slot or something

zijin_cheng

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009

umm ok, 7850, but why though? Neither of them achieving full bandwidth doesn't give any indication that the 7850 is better. I seen some benches, but I would like some real world advice though.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Unfortunately your decision on the PCI3.0 is moot, as neither card will come even close on the bandwidth availability. Perhaps from the next generation onwards...

I would go for the 7850 though, since it is a much newer card and performs much better that tne 6950 in most modern games. It is using a completely different architecture as well, which means it will scale nice with newer software/games as they become available on the market.

7850 hands down. Better performance, uses less power, less heat, overclocks better, usually cheaper since the 6950s are discontinued, and you'll be able to find another to crossfire if you want down the road.

Only reason to get a 6950 is if you get an amazing deal on one and even then I'd pay a little extra for a 7850. As was said PCIe 3.0 is completely irrelevant here, unless you needed to run it off an x4 slot or something

Solution