Question: "Affordable" telephoto for Rebel

Last response: in Digital Camera
August 9, 2005 3:34:21 AM

Hey, all.

Seems I can't stop looking at lenses. Oh well. I imagine it's a common
malady in the group. ;-)

I have 2 fascinations: Macro and telephoto. My macro needs have been
satisfied within the constraints of my budget by a small set of
diopters.

I already have a Canon 75-300IS lens, and I'm satisfied with it - I see
that it does go a bit soft around the 300 range, but I guess it's still
a decent lens for the money, given that it's IS.

I'm looking at options for longer lengths. I am Not buying an L lens
unless I win a lottery. My price cap will be around the $400 range. I'd
be interested in a decent prime of 500mm or so, or a tele zoom to a
similar length.

All things being equal, are primes better quality than zooms? Seems to
be the general opinion, and it makes sense because there's no moving
parts.

Has anyone tried Kinko lenses? I see an eBay ad for a Kinko 420-800
lens with a 2x tele, maxing out at 1600. That would certainly suit my
needs, focal-length-wise, unless the lens is junk. Anyone out there
used Kinko lenses with Rebels? any feedback or sample images anyone
would be willing to post?

Final question (here's the biggie) - can anyone recommend an EF lens
for the budget minded telephoto junkie?

Thanks!!

BD
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 11:04:18 AM

Ummm... I already have a 75-300. That would give me 2 lenses with the
same range, no?. ;)
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 11:36:40 AM

>I already have a Canon 75-300IS lens
>I'm looking at options for longer lengths
>My price cap will be around the $400 range. I'd
>be interested in a decent prime of 500mm

I think the tele lenses in that price range will give pretty
disappointing results, especially the zooms ... I'd suggest getting a
1.4x converter for the lens you have. This combo won't autofocus on
the Rebel very well and if you think it's soft at 300 now wait until
you add a 1.4x, but you'll still have IS and if you stop down to f/11
or f/16 and jack up the ISO you'll get decent results, probably better
than with a cheapie tele. For sure the contrast will be better than
with a cheapie 500 or long zoom. And you'll still have a couple
hundred dollars left over.

The Canon t/c is excellent optically but won't mount to the 75-300
without a 12 mm spacer, meaning you lose the ability to focus at
infinity, so you should look at the best models from Kenko or the other
company that makes these (forgot the name). That's what I'd do with
the budget you mention, fwiw.

Bill
August 9, 2005 7:53:27 PM

BD wrote:

> Ummm... I already have a 75-300. That would give me 2 lenses with the
> same range, no?. ;)

What do you want to do with the telephoto lens?

At 500mm f8 and slower you are into telescope lens territory and there
are some nice mirror lens scopes that can compete with camera lenses iff
you can live with donuts for the out of focus highlights.

Also worth considering second hand gear since the number of times when
the air is stable enough to go above 500mm is not that great. There is a
Russian MTO 1000mm f10 mirror lens that is a bit soft but good samples
are otherwise not bad. The 500mm mirror lenses I have seen were poor by
comparison (they are often offered for sale second hand).

Regards,
Martin Brown
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 9:38:42 PM

>Bob wrote ...
>
>woops .. my bad.
>I guess that what happens if you only sleep 4 hours
>anyway try the Sigma 50-500

Isn't this one about double his "price cap" of $400?
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 9:47:23 PM

I've been chewing on the options -

You know, for quite a while I've wanted to get into telescopic
photography - digiscoping, I gather it's called.

I can get a decent 'starter' telescope that goes up to 1200x or so, for
not a whole pile of cash. Yes, my price cap for a tele lens was at a
certain point, but if I could end up with a solution that gets serious
telephoto AND lets me get some nice moon shots, that might be worth a
bit more cash.

I'm going to look into the Meade ETX-90 and a T adapter for the rebel.
There's some forum posts on Steves Digicams and lots of links to
elsewhere.

Probably makes more sense - if only from an optics-quality perspective.
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 10:32:37 PM

Try Tamron 70-300 Macro APO II.

=bob=

"BD" <bobby_dread@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hey, all.
>
> Seems I can't stop looking at lenses. Oh well. I imagine it's a common
> malady in the group. ;-)
>
> I have 2 fascinations: Macro and telephoto. My macro needs have been
> satisfied within the constraints of my budget by a small set of
> diopters.

> Final question (here's the biggie) - can anyone recommend an EF lens
> for the budget minded telephoto junkie?
August 9, 2005 10:32:38 PM

He already has a 75-300, why buy another one?

I don't have a "Kinko" lens, but I would suspect it is not very good, at the
very least the focus (manual) will be very difficult to do and you will
never be satisfied with the results. If you want to go cheap on a mega
zoom, buy an old preset "t-mount" lens with a t-mount to EOS adapter. Old
mirror 500mm lenses are fairly cheap and so is the adapter. Another option
is to get a cheap teleconverter and use it with your 75-300, the autofocus
will most likely not work but the price for experimentation will not set you
back too much.

Jean

"[BnH]" <b18[at]ii[dot]net> a écrit dans le message de
> Try Tamron 70-300 Macro APO II.
>
> =bob=
>
> "BD" <bobby_dread@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hey, all.
> >
> > Seems I can't stop looking at lenses. Oh well. I imagine it's a common
> > malady in the group. ;-)
> >
> > I have 2 fascinations: Macro and telephoto. My macro needs have been
> > satisfied within the constraints of my budget by a small set of
> > diopters.
>
> > Final question (here's the biggie) - can anyone recommend an EF lens
> > for the budget minded telephoto junkie?

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 4:51:50 AM

woops .. my bad.
I guess that what happens if you only sleep 4 hours and looking at the
pricing of 30000 sku's :D

anyway try the Sigma 50-500 .. they are quite good + heavy.
but no macro on that one .

> Ummm... I already have a 75-300. That would give me 2 lenses with the
> same range, no?. ;)

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 12:37:05 PM

BD wrote:
> I've been chewing on the options -
>
> You know, for quite a while I've wanted to get into telescopic
> photography - digiscoping, I gather it's called.
>
> I can get a decent 'starter' telescope that goes up to 1200x or so, for
> not a whole pile of cash.

That is a bad idea. Department store scopes are always advertised on
insanely high magnifictions. A rough guide to absolute maximum
magnification of a scope is 50x per inch of aperture. Daytime air is
more unstable so you will be lucky in practice to get above 80x overall
magnification without heat shimmer becoming a really serious problem.

Go look at the Telescope buyers FAQ before making an expensive mistake.
Birding scopes are perhaps more suitable for digiscoping you get an
erect image (and also usable with basic digicams too). Most astronomical
scopes give an inverted image.

> Yes, my price cap for a tele lens was at a
> certain point, but if I could end up with a solution that gets serious
> telephoto AND lets me get some nice moon shots, that might be worth a
> bit more cash.
>
> I'm going to look into the Meade ETX-90 and a T adapter for the rebel.
> There's some forum posts on Steves Digicams and lots of links to
> elsewhere.
>
> Probably makes more sense - if only from an optics-quality perspective.

It depends. ETX isn't a bad little scope. There are similar OTAs
available that can be used as a mirror lens if you already have a very
good tripod (long lenses are extremely demanding of tripod quality).
Refractors tend to be a bit more pricey especially those with decent
colour correction.

Be sure you can live with the donut shaped out of focus highlights from
a mirror lens... they are not to exveryones taste.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 8:24:28 PM

All good points.

Not that I'm running out the door to buy a Meade tomorrow - I'll do
lots of research on forums, and try to get some sample images as well.
!