labroste

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
Hi guys, I consider myself a little noob in terms of PC configuration (and other things, as well...), so I'm writing this post for you to look at the specs, and tell me if they are ok... So...

1- Is this configuration well balanced?
2- All the components are compatible with each other?
3- Would you change anything? I would love to hear any suggestion.
Sorry for my bad english. Thank you.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake CLP0564 101.6 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LE ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($159.90 @ eCost)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($269.00 @ B&H)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($417.55 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($62.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($25.97 @ Newegg)
Total: $1295.36

Looks great to me! Just a couple of suggestions:
- think about a modular PSU. Even though my case had a nice amount of room behind the mobo, it was still jammed full of cables and hard to close
- keep in mind that if you ever want to use dual video cards, the mobo you picked only works with AMD Crossfire, not nVidia SLI
- Newegg has a Crucial M4 SSD for around $210

Happy gaming!

labroste

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012

- I tought that was a modular PSU, can you suggest me one?
- Can you also suggest me a SLI compatible mobo?
- The Crucial M4 SSD is better than the Samsung 830 series?

Sorry for so many questions.
Thank you.

The ASUS LK has both (I think) but a "lower quality" power subsystem, tho I'm not convinced that matters in a reasonably overclocked system.

Not sure the m4 is better, but it should "feel" similar, is reliable, and $60 cheaper. They are both "stupid fast" compared to a HDD. Even my older SSD is just amazing.

Newegg has the 750w modular Corsair on sale for $100. That would be a good route as well. Way overkill if you don't ever SLI and a little breathing room for SLI if power consumption reverses direction in the future.

labroste

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012

Thanks for your time.
However I'm from europe, and I can't find some of the components you have above.

- I've found a very popular mobo named ASROCK Z77 EXTREME4. Is it compatible with my system with nvidia?
- I've found the TX 650W M PLUS, which I think is a modular PSU.
- I've read some reviews about the Cooler and they said that's a very good cooler but with some noise. Do you know other cooler with low noise?

Thanks again

- I have the Extreme4 and really like it - it will work with what you have
- that should indeed be the modular PSU
- if you use the mobo's software or BIOS settings to turn the Evo down from 100% it's very quiet - i leave it at minimum and it stays both cool and quiet (never ran into a situation that drove the rpms up except in CPU stress testing)

labroste

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
Well, changes made, and this is the result...

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£176.78 @ CCL Computers)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£26.65 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£109.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£59.98 @ CCL Computers)
Hard Drive: Crucial SSD 256GB M4 2,5 Sata-600
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (£335.60 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case (£33.58 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair TX650M 80 Plus Power Supply (£77.06 @ Ebuyer)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

Last doubt. The Case. Is it good? Is there any other better within that price range?

labroste

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012

I think I'll pay more and get the fractal design r3...

Thank you so much for all your help.

I really liked your original build. Don't change it.

1) Planning for sli is probably a waste of money. First of all, the GTX670 is a great card, about as good as you will ever need for a single monitor. By the time you might need to upgrade, you could sell it in favor of a GTX690, the equivalent of GTX670 sli on a single card. A GTX690 will run on a 700w psu, while sli GTX670 will need more. More likely, in a year, or two, there wull be even stronger single gpu cards available, and you will not want to spend top dollar on a second slightly obsolete card. By planning on a single card upgrade, you can save on the motherboard, psu, and case.

Only if I was planning on triple monitor gaming would sli be appropriate.
2) Keep the samsung ssd. It is one of the most trouble free units, close to the Intel 520. The c4 is OK, but probably in third place. Performance among all 3 is indistinguishable.

3) If you like the looks of the nzxt case keep it. Looks count, and only you can determine that. It is a perfectly fine functional case. Actually, most are.

4) The hyper212 is a bit cheaper, I like that change.

5) Modular psu's cost more, but really are not much help except for a small form factor case. For a properly sized unit, you will be using most of the leads anyway. It is never too hard to tuck unused leads out of the main airflow stream.

Can't argue with geo about 1). I made room for SLI but will not likely ever go through with it.

Cases are definitely personal preference. My last one was a cheap Raidmax Sagitta and it was noisy, poorly constructed pile. That turned me off to cheaper cases but that may have been an isolated case (no pun).

For modular vs non, my case is very roomy but it took way too much effort to get the spare cables tucked into the storage area and then more force than I liked to close the side panel. If I could do it over that's a change I'd make but like the case itself it depends a lot on you :)