Upgrading Nvidia 9600GT 512mb

Delirious133

Honorable
May 11, 2012
Hello Everyone,

First time posting in here and have been searching to try and find if someone has asked this question but was not able to find an exact answer. I am considering upgrading my current GPU which is a EVGA Nvidia 9600GT 512mb card. See link below for further specs. on it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130328

On this systems I am also running these specs.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 2.66Ghz (12mb L2 cache)
Memory: Corsair XMS2 4GB DDR2
Mobo: MB-N780-ISH9 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI
PSU: Corsair HX Series 520W

I know this system was probably overkill when I purchased it just because of the Triple SLI that I never really used and I never really intended to do any overclocking on it either.

I currently use my system for gaming and everyday use. The main games I currently play on here is StarCraft II, Modern Warfare 2 and will be looking to play Diablo III on here once it comes out. I have been getting decent frame rates on most of these games on medium to high settings depending on the game (30-40fps, sometimes less online for SC2). I normally do not play the most demanding games graphically because I normally play those on Xbox 360. I have been mainly considering a new GPU because of lower frame rates I am seeing in newer games I have loaded on my system.

My ultimate question is would it be worth upgrading to a new card for the games I play considering the components I currently have. Looking to spend $100-250 on a card. Or would the benefit of upgrading not be that considerable. Which in that case would I be better off just waiting to drop money on a new card if I consider to overhaul my system in a couple years?

Delirious133

Honorable
May 11, 2012
Oh I forgot that I left out that my current monitor is running at 1920x1080.

I was considering taking a look at the 560 or 560ti but was not sure if my current CPU and Mobo would bottleneck them that much and really negate the true benefit of them. I did build the system back in 2008.

GI_JONES

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
At that resolution I would go for the 560Ti. Beyond that you will probably start to bottleneck anyways. The 9600gt was a good card, but was only mid range at best. Back in 2008 your cpu was pretty high end, so your cpu has been bottlenecked by that card all along

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
560Ti is more than you need for that aging system. Unless you want the card to last and be useful for your next PC (which is a bad idea) there isn't really any need to overdo it. Yes, it would be a great card, but if you have been doing fine with a 9600GT, then you are NOT going to be pushing a $200 card to its limits.

Buy something in the $100-$150 range on tom's graphic card list: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html

Edit: Also note the hierarchy on the last page of this -- will help you see where new cards are in relation to your 9600GT!

They will run basically any game at 1920x1080, but you might dip below 30fps once in a while. Doesn't sound like that is a concern for you to me. Starcraft is just as processor bound as GPU bound, and im betting diablo will be the same way.

Why oh why do you hurt yourself with subpar graphics of an xbox, games looks way better on pc :pfff: :pfff:

Anyway, if your budget allows it, I would go with GTX 560 Ti. Your CPU is very good, so it will definitely not bottleneck your graphics card.