Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Need advice on graphics card vs mobo

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 12, 2012 4:54:34 AM

So here is a link to my comp specs. The reason I say VS. mobo is because I've read that with PCI-E x16 1.0 I might not be able to use 2.1 Interfaced cards.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01...

I'm upgrading to:
VP450 Antec PSU
4gb (2x 2gb sticks) of AMD Performance RAM.
Graphics Card (UNDECIDED)

Based on that. What do you think I should get for a card? I'll be doing a little bit everything(except overclocking), and my computer runs nearly 24/7. I'll be gaming a bit, watching vast amounts of media (sometimes I'll have videos running in background of games). I only have $110 to spend and can't really go higher than that (wouldn't mind going lower ofc :p ).

I'm not a graphics-nut who insists on highest settings. Although I don't enjoy playing on the lowest quality either. That being said, I'll be looking for a smooth FPS rate on medium settings, while still having things running in background (sometimes VLC, other times youtube or ustream or w/e). I also do a bit of video conversions, but not while gaming.

I've contemplated quite a few choices for cards, but I can't find feedback on some of those. Such as, VisionTek Radeon HD 6750 1GB GDDR5, or GIGABYTE NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB GDDR5, and some various others.

I can of course find reviews on other brands of those products, but not the VisionTek and GIGABYTE ones in particular.

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
May 12, 2012 11:37:05 AM

PCIe is backwards compatible meaning that a GPU using 2.0 or 3.0 lanes will also be usable with a 1.0. The performance loss is noticeable in benchmarks but not in real applications.
I'm using a Radeon 6750 myself and I'm not disappointed. I can play mostly everything in high settings with good FPS rate. The 6770 is better but where I live the price would not justify it.
However The 550ti is much better than the 6750 so if you can afford it I'd get it
a c 84 U Graphics card
May 12, 2012 12:09:59 PM

which cpu do you have?

all pcie are compatible with each other so no need to worry it will work fine without an issue.:) 

gtx 550ti gigabyte one will be the way to go .:) 
Score
Related resources
May 12, 2012 2:26:57 PM

sunnk said:
which cpu do you have?

all pcie are compatible with each other so no need to worry it will work fine without an issue.:) 

gtx 550ti gigabyte one will be the way to go .:) 

Alright, thank you both. My CPU is:
AMD Athlon II x2 240 - 2.8 GHz Will that be okay for the gtx 550ti?

ALSO, here is a picture of the inside of my tower

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_D_RRrIu8FXM/S7p4z2iinvI/AAAAA...

Will I be able to use a card that says *Requires adjacent PCI slot* ? Does that mean that It needs to be plugged into the mobo in 2 different spots or just that it takes up extra space because its so thick? If its just because its too thick, will I be able to fit one of those kinds of cards into it?
Score
May 12, 2012 8:04:16 PM

Best answer selected by afewquestions.
Score
a c 272 U Graphics card
May 12, 2012 8:29:59 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!