Need advice on graphics card vs mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

afewquestions

Honorable
May 6, 2012
So here is a link to my comp specs. The reason I say VS. mobo is because I've read that with PCI-E x16 1.0 I might not be able to use 2.1 Interfaced cards.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01949111&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=4107711#N77

I'm upgrading to:
VP450 Antec PSU
4gb (2x 2gb sticks) of AMD Performance RAM.
Graphics Card (UNDECIDED)

Based on that. What do you think I should get for a card? I'll be doing a little bit everything(except overclocking), and my computer runs nearly 24/7. I'll be gaming a bit, watching vast amounts of media (sometimes I'll have videos running in background of games). I only have $110 to spend and can't really go higher than that (wouldn't mind going lower ofc :p).

I'm not a graphics-nut who insists on highest settings. Although I don't enjoy playing on the lowest quality either. That being said, I'll be looking for a smooth FPS rate on medium settings, while still having things running in background (sometimes VLC, other times youtube or ustream or w/e). I also do a bit of video conversions, but not while gaming.

I've contemplated quite a few choices for cards, but I can't find feedback on some of those. Such as, VisionTek Radeon HD 6750 1GB GDDR5, or GIGABYTE NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB GDDR5, and some various others.

I can of course find reviews on other brands of those products, but not the VisionTek and GIGABYTE ones in particular.

Solution
PCIe is backwards compatible meaning that a GPU using 2.0 or 3.0 lanes will also be usable with a 1.0. The performance loss is noticeable in benchmarks but not in real applications.
I'm using a Radeon 6750 myself and I'm not disappointed. I can play mostly everything in high settings with good FPS rate. The 6770 is better but where I live the price would not justify it.
However The 550ti is much better than the 6750 so if you can afford it I'd get it

akxpckwb

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
PCIe is backwards compatible meaning that a GPU using 2.0 or 3.0 lanes will also be usable with a 1.0. The performance loss is noticeable in benchmarks but not in real applications.
I'm using a Radeon 6750 myself and I'm not disappointed. I can play mostly everything in high settings with good FPS rate. The 6770 is better but where I live the price would not justify it.
However The 550ti is much better than the 6750 so if you can afford it I'd get it

Solution

afewquestions

Honorable
May 6, 2012

Alright, thank you both. My CPU is:
AMD Athlon II x2 240 - 2.8 GHz Will that be okay for the gtx 550ti?

ALSO, here is a picture of the inside of my tower

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_D_RRrIu8FXM/S7p4z2iinvI/AAAAAAAALbY/liX_EHfqRYY/s1600/HP+Compaq+Presario+CQ5320Y+technovisione.blogspot.com..jpg

Will I be able to use a card that says *Requires adjacent PCI slot* ? Does that mean that It needs to be plugged into the mobo in 2 different spots or just that it takes up extra space because its so thick? If its just because its too thick, will I be able to fit one of those kinds of cards into it?

Status
Not open for further replies.