Create a non-deleteable desktop icon

In the lab I administer, we give all clients full administrative access to
our systems. DeepFreeze takes care of the rest.

Anyway, this makes it hard prevent clients from accidentally deleting some
things, like the desktop logoff icon, which runs a local script. Is there
any way to make such a shortcut or icon into something a user can't
delete, even with administrative privleges? I'm not worried about making
it super secure, just so that if someone accidentally deletes it, it will
say they can't.

-Jonathan

A couple of options.

1.) Use the Group policy editor
%windir%\system32\gpedit.msc
User Config\Windows Settings\Scripts\Logon/Logoff
Computer Config\Windows Settings\Scripts\Startup/Shutdown

2.) Use the CreateShortcut method of VBScrpt to check for the existence and
recreate the shortcut if necessary at logon.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Jonathan Scoles" wrote:
| In the lab I administer, we give all clients full administrative access to
| our systems. DeepFreeze takes care of the rest.
|
| Anyway, this makes it hard prevent clients from accidentally deleting some
| things, like the desktop logoff icon, which runs a local script. Is there
| any way to make such a shortcut or icon into something a user can't
| delete, even with administrative privleges? I'm not worried about making
| it super secure, just so that if someone accidentally deletes it, it will
| say they can't.
|
| -Jonathan
|
| --
| Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

Because of deepfreeze, the script will always be there when a user logs
on. However, I'm trying to prevent them from deleting in during a
session. We remove access to the shutdown commands through the start
menu, so the only way to log off the machine is through the script we
provide.

-Jonathan

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 13:53:52 -0800, Dave Patrick
<mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote:

> A couple of options.
>
> 1.) Use the Group policy editor
> %windir%\system32\gpedit.msc
> User Config\Windows Settings\Scripts\Logon/Logoff
> Computer Config\Windows Settings\Scripts\Startup/Shutdown
>
> 2.) Use the CreateShortcut method of VBScrpt to check for the existence
> and
> recreate the shortcut if necessary at logon.

Well, this (http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/73/) shows how to
create a *folder* on your desktop that you can't delete, maybe you can use
that as a starting point for your shortcut...I'm sure it's out there. Let
me know if this helps, suddenly I'm curious... :)

It worked! Thanks a lot. You don't really create a folder, following
those instructions let you make the icon run any command you like.

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 06:11:06 -0800, Homer J. Simpson <root@127.0.0.1>
wrote:

"Jonathan Scoles" <jscoles@mailforce.net> wrote in message
> It worked! Thanks a lot. You don't really create a folder, following
> those instructions let you make the icon run any command you like.

I remembered the link, but didn't really re-read the instructions in
details--you're right, it looks like you should actually be able to plug in
any command at all in step 4.

Glad it helped. :eek:)