Some people are too serious

So I'm in a group and we've only defeated like seven or so groups of
enemies in Stratholme (passed first trap). I'm RPing my connection with
the place (long story, it's an RP server). Part of that involves the
ghouls calling out to me. So anyway, I go to get a supply crate and get
thoroughly chewed out because I aggro some mobs and one person ends up
dying. Just *one* person. I've done much worse :p Anyway, so then I'm
playing around, getting closer to mobs than they feel comfortable with,
whatever. Then I'm aggroed again and feign death. Instead of them just
letting the pet die, they get involved and then the leader gets really
pissed off and kicks me out of the raid. Yeah, I did cause one person to
die, but I just get so tired of the boring and repetitive nature of
instances that I like to mix things up a bit. Hell, I've caused multiple
wipes before and I wasn't kicked out ... this was my _first_ time ever
getting kicked out! Blah!

My take on it ... this is a damn game folks, relax! If you think the point
of the whole game is just to get the best items and as such you turn it
into an efficiency-maxing dungeon crawl, then I ask, why are you playing
it? I play it to have fun. Also, I'm on a roleplaying server, and I was
working on a RP plot that involved getting controlled by the undead in
Stratholme, but they'll never get to find out how it ends.

P.S., I know some of you are going to respond saying that I deserved to be
kicked out because I was messing around and causing risk of wiping, but let
me reply by saying that I never actually intentionally aggroed any mobs,
and usually all it takes is a "Stop screwing around or you'll be kicked
from the group" warning, and I calm down. Not this time - the leader just
went for the nuclear option immediately. Hehe.

--
~ Cyde Weys ~

Mana du vortes, mana du vortes
Aeria gloris, aeria gloris

"Cyde Weys" <cyde@umd.edu> wrote in message
> So I'm in a group and we've only defeated like seven or so groups of
> enemies in Stratholme (passed first trap). I'm RPing my connection with
> the place (long story, it's an RP server). Part of that involves the
> ghouls calling out to me. So anyway, I go to get a supply crate and get
> thoroughly chewed out because I aggro some mobs and one person ends up
> dying. Just *one* person. I've done much worse :p Anyway, so then I'm
> playing around, getting closer to mobs than they feel comfortable with,
> whatever. Then I'm aggroed again and feign death. Instead of them just
> letting the pet die, they get involved and then the leader gets really
> pissed off and kicks me out of the raid. Yeah, I did cause one person to
> die, but I just get so tired of the boring and repetitive nature of
> instances that I like to mix things up a bit. Hell, I've caused multiple
> wipes before and I wasn't kicked out ... this was my _first_ time ever
> getting kicked out! Blah!
>
> My take on it ... this is a damn game folks, relax! If you think the
> point
> of the whole game is just to get the best items and as such you turn it
> into an efficiency-maxing dungeon crawl, then I ask, why are you playing
> it? I play it to have fun. Also, I'm on a roleplaying server, and I was
> working on a RP plot that involved getting controlled by the undead in
> Stratholme, but they'll never get to find out how it ends.
>
> P.S., I know some of you are going to respond saying that I deserved to be
> kicked out because I was messing around and causing risk of wiping, but
> let
> me reply by saying that I never actually intentionally aggroed any mobs,
> and usually all it takes is a "Stop screwing around or you'll be kicked
> from the group" warning, and I calm down. Not this time - the leader just
> went for the nuclear option immediately. Hehe.

Well I guess you know not to group with him anymore.
:p

"Cyde Weys" <cyde@umd.edu> wrote in message
> So I'm in a group and we've only defeated like seven or so groups of
> enemies in Stratholme (passed first trap). I'm RPing my connection with
> the place (long story, it's an RP server). Part of that involves the
> ghouls calling out to me. So anyway, I go to get a supply crate and get
> thoroughly chewed out because I aggro some mobs and one person ends up
> dying. Just *one* person. I've done much worse :p Anyway, so then I'm
> playing around, getting closer to mobs than they feel comfortable with,
> whatever. Then I'm aggroed again and feign death. Instead of them just
> letting the pet die, they get involved and then the leader gets really
> pissed off and kicks me out of the raid. Yeah, I did cause one person to
> die, but I just get so tired of the boring and repetitive nature of
> instances that I like to mix things up a bit. Hell, I've caused multiple
> wipes before and I wasn't kicked out ... this was my _first_ time ever
> getting kicked out! Blah!
>
> My take on it ... this is a damn game folks, relax! If you think the
> point
> of the whole game is just to get the best items and as such you turn it
> into an efficiency-maxing dungeon crawl, then I ask, why are you playing
> it? I play it to have fun. Also, I'm on a roleplaying server, and I was
> working on a RP plot that involved getting controlled by the undead in
> Stratholme, but they'll never get to find out how it ends.
>
> P.S., I know some of you are going to respond saying that I deserved to be
> kicked out because I was messing around and causing risk of wiping, but
> let
> me reply by saying that I never actually intentionally aggroed any mobs,
> and usually all it takes is a "Stop screwing around or you'll be kicked
> from the group" warning, and I calm down. Not this time - the leader just
> went for the nuclear option immediately. Hehe.
>
> --
> ~ Cyde Weys ~
>
> Mana du vortes, mana du vortes
> Aeria gloris, aeria gloris

You got a reputation for this behavior? Had the leader seen this type of
behavior from you before?

You get warned once after screwing off & nearly wiping the raid, then kicked
after nearly doing the same thing? Dude, your on a raid, follow the
freakin rules. Using the RP excuse is the lamest, most self-centered way to
justify bullshit behavior. I've heard of people not just kicked from a raid
but kicked from a guild for that kind of behavior.

>If you think the point
> of the whole game is just to get the best items and as such you turn it
> into an efficiency-maxing dungeon crawl, then I ask, why are you playing
> it?

Some people actually have fun beating an instance in a methodical way. The
first few times in a raid are the hard one's, learning the necessary tactics
& winning a bit of gear for a few people. Some folk's only enjoy the
achieving the target the first few times. After that it's farming, maybe
less exciting but necessary evil, to gear up a ton of people. Everyone
want's, NEEDs gear to progress.

If you don't like it, then I ask, why do you play it?

"Adam Russell" <adamrussell@sbcglobal.net.invalid> wrote in

> Well I guess you know not to group with him anymore.
>:p

I wouldn't mind grouping with him again so long as he doesn't have the
power to kick. He wasn't a bad player or anything ... just way too
serious. I'm not one to hold grudges.

--
~ Cyde Weys ~

Mana du vortes, mana du vortes
Aeria gloris, aeria gloris

"Cyde Weys" <cyde@umd.edu> wrote in message

While I agree that it's just a game, at the same time getting a raid group
together is a bit of a hassle and takes time. My guess is that he had a
chip on his shoulder from a previous incident and your unitentional incident
was the final straw for him. I have had parties break up within minutes
because of one person doing their own thing. My best advice is try to party
up with game friends since they may understand you better.

"Cyde Weys" <cyde@umd.edu> wrote in message
> So I'm in a group and we've only defeated like seven or so groups of
> enemies in Stratholme (passed first trap). I'm RPing my connection with
> the place (long story, it's an RP server). Part of that involves the
> ghouls calling out to me. So anyway, I go to get a supply crate and get
> thoroughly chewed out because I aggro some mobs and one person ends up
> dying. Just *one* person. I've done much worse :p Anyway, so then I'm
> playing around, getting closer to mobs than they feel comfortable with,
> whatever. Then I'm aggroed again and feign death. Instead of them just
> letting the pet die, they get involved and then the leader gets really
> pissed off and kicks me out of the raid. Yeah, I did cause one person to
> die, but I just get so tired of the boring and repetitive nature of
> instances that I like to mix things up a bit.

Maybe ^ that's the problem. Maybe other people don't want it mixed up a bit.
Yeah it's only a game but it's a game that takes a lot of time and effort to
organise and play. Some people have to make arrangements with their family
or suffer the consequences of a late night at work the next day, etc to be
able to commit to something like a 3-4 hours Strath raid.

"Bruin" <bruinwarBLAH@BLAHexcite.com> wrote in

> You got a reputation for this behavior? Had the leader seen this
> type of behavior from you before?

I don't think so. I didn't even know the leader.

> You get warned once after screwing off & nearly wiping the raid, then
> kicked after nearly doing the same thing? Dude, your on a raid,
> follow the freakin rules. Using the RP excuse is the lamest, most
> self-centered way to justify bullshit behavior. I've heard of people
> not just kicked from a raid but kicked from a guild for that kind of
> behavior.

I wasn't using RP to justify it, it WAS RP. Some people on the raid
were digging it ... others, not so much.

> >If you think the point
>> of the whole game is just to get the best items and as such you turn
>> it into an efficiency-maxing dungeon crawl, then I ask, why are you
>> playing it?
>
> Some people actually have fun beating an instance in a methodical way.
> The first few times in a raid are the hard one's, learning the
> necessary tactics & winning a bit of gear for a few people. Some
> folk's only enjoy the achieving the target the first few times. After
> that it's farming, maybe less exciting but necessary evil, to gear up
> a ton of people. Everyone want's, NEEDs gear to progress.

To me, instances are boooring. Once I get a full set of Beaststalker I
don't think I'll have any inclination to go back. I'd much rather spend
my time out in the world defending and RPing. And while I'm in the
process of getting the set items, I like to make it not boring.

> If you don't like it, then I ask, why do you play it?

Hah, good question.

--

> "Bruin" <bruinwarBLAH@BLAHexcite.com> wrote in
>
>> You got a reputation for this behavior? Had the leader seen this
>> type of behavior from you before?
>
> I don't think so. I didn't even know the leader.
>
>> You get warned once after screwing off & nearly wiping the raid, then
>> kicked after nearly doing the same thing? Dude, your on a raid,
>> follow the freakin rules. Using the RP excuse is the lamest, most
>> self-centered way to justify bullshit behavior. I've heard of people
>> not just kicked from a raid but kicked from a guild for that kind of
>> behavior.
>
> I wasn't using RP to justify it, it WAS RP. Some people on the raid
> were digging it ... others, not so much.

It was an RP for you, but it was a raid for them. Your RP interfered with
their raid. As much as I love RPing, one must practice "responsible RP."
When your RPing gets players killed, it's time to tone it back a bit and
find other ways to act the part and the plot out.

>> >If you think the point
>>> of the whole game is just to get the best items and as such you turn
>>> it into an efficiency-maxing dungeon crawl, then I ask, why are you
>>> playing it?
>>
>> Some people actually have fun beating an instance in a methodical way.
>> The first few times in a raid are the hard one's, learning the
>> necessary tactics & winning a bit of gear for a few people. Some
>> folk's only enjoy the achieving the target the first few times. After
>> that it's farming, maybe less exciting but necessary evil, to gear up
>> a ton of people. Everyone want's, NEEDs gear to progress.
>
> To me, instances are boooring. Once I get a full set of Beaststalker I
> don't think I'll have any inclination to go back. I'd much rather spend
> my time out in the world defending and RPing. And while I'm in the
> process of getting the set items, I like to make it not boring.

That may well be, but that doesn't mean you should tread on their toes.
Even on RP servers, many people have limited time. They don't want to get a
raid together and not get to the goal because people got tired of constantly
wiping and left. That's a waste of their time.

"El Durango" <El_Durango@yah00.c0m> wrote in

> My best advice is try to party up with game friends since they may
> understand you better.

Excellent advice. I always love partying with people I know because they
know what to expect and they know my tactics.

--

"porl" <porlp@btinternet.com> wrote in

> Maybe ^ that's the problem. Maybe other people don't want it mixed up
> a bit.

I've run into that attitude often. But at the same time there are people
who love it geting mixed up. I still think the most fun I ever had playing
this game was fighting against those elite ogres in Stranglethorn Vale. My
group thought it was boring and they wanted to know if it could be made
more interesting. Hahaha, they didn't know what they were getting into. I
proceeded to attempt to wipe the group for a whole hour. If they were
fighting two ogres, I'd bring in another. There was no downtime as I was
constantly pulling. It was the most fun I've ever had in the game. It was
fast-paced and the opposite of methodical. Everyone needed to be on top of
their game and really show off their skills, something you don't see often
in a slow methodical instance crawl. And guess what - in the end we only
had one wipe and everyone came away saying it was a blast.

> Yeah it's only a game but it's a game that takes a lot of time
> and effort to organise and play. Some people have to make arrangements
> with their family or suffer the consequences of a late night at work
> the next day, etc to be able to commit to something like a 3-4 hours
> Strath raid.

That may be the case but I'd much prefer them to just say as much to me.
When threatened with the wrath of doom about my playstyle, I do calm down.
Instead, I just got kicked.

--

> That may be the case but I'd much prefer them to just say as much to me.
> When threatened with the wrath of doom about my playstyle, I do calm down.
> Instead, I just got kicked.

Put it this way, what do you think he's saying about you?

"sanjian" <sanjian@widomaker.com> wrote in message

> That may well be, but that doesn't mean you should tread on their toes.
> Even on RP servers, many people have limited time. They don't want to get
> a raid together and not get to the goal because people got tired of
> constantly wiping and left. That's a waste of their time.

How does Rp'ing work? Are the more popular players the ones who really go
for it? Do people say "I must take this blue Mace drop because my Elven wife
is having a baby" and stuff?

"porl" <porlp@btinternet.com> wrote in message

> "sanjian" <sanjian@widomaker.com> wrote in message
>
>> That may well be, but that doesn't mean you should tread on their toes.
>> Even on RP servers, many people have limited time. They don't want to
>> get a raid together and not get to the goal because people got tired of
>> constantly wiping and left. That's a waste of their time.
>
> How does Rp'ing work? Are the more popular players the ones who really go
> for it? Do people say "I must take this blue Mace drop because my Elven
> wife is having a baby" and stuff?

Err... no. It's all about character interaction and staying in character.

On Sun, 22 May 2005 19:03:52 -0400, "sanjian" <sanjian@widomaker.com>
wrote:

>"porl" <porlp@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "sanjian" <sanjian@widomaker.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> That may well be, but that doesn't mean you should tread on their toes.
>>> Even on RP servers, many people have limited time. They don't want to
>>> get a raid together and not get to the goal because people got tired of
>>> constantly wiping and left. That's a waste of their time.
>>
>> How does Rp'ing work? Are the more popular players the ones who really go
>> for it? Do people say "I must take this blue Mace drop because my Elven
>> wife is having a baby" and stuff?
>
>Err... no. It's all about character interaction and staying in character.

No-one seems to like my nude gnome who claims to be from the future
:-(

--
Gamertag: unclechibi
http://unclechibi.blogspot.com

> "Cyde Weys" <cyde@umd.edu> wrote in message
>
>> That may be the case but I'd much prefer them to just say as much to
>> me. When threatened with the wrath of doom about my playstyle, I do
>> calm down. Instead, I just got kicked.
>
> Put it this way, what do you think he's saying about you?

No idea?

--
~ Cyde Weys ~

Mana du vortes, mana du vortes
Aeria gloris, aeria gloris

Agreed.

First, the only thing that people hate almost as much as gnomes is
hunters. In a raid instance, you've already got a strike against you
just for playing one. You were warned against dangerous behavior and
perservered one to strike three. Out you go.

As for the "Relax! I play for fun!" mentality. I also play for fun and
I derive no enjoyment from a hunter causing a wipe from being
persistently stupid. There should be no need for warning you in order
to get you to settle down. That kind of nonsense will get you on black
lists of people that you've never met.

Remember kiddies, your fun should not come at the expense of your
team's fun. People do talk to their guilds and someone with a poor
reputation will find themselves unable to get into raids or be able to
successfully organise them.

Regards,
Noal

--
Dharzhak - Night Elf Druid (60) on Stormrage [PvE]
Kemwer - Tauren Warrior (21) on Stormrage [PvE]

On Mon, 23 May 2005 01:53:59 +0100, Alastair Foster
<uncleSPAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMchibi@btinternet.com> wrote:

>No-one seems to like my nude gnome who claims to be from the future
>:-(

Nobody likes nude gnomes!

Wait, strike the nude...

:)

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann

On Sun, 22 May 2005 19:55:21 GMT, Cyde Weys <cyde@umd.edu> wrote:

>"porl" <porlp@btinternet.com> wrote in
>
>> Maybe ^ that's the problem. Maybe other people don't want it mixed up
>> a bit.
>
>I've run into that attitude often. But at the same time there are people
>who love it geting mixed up. I still think the most fun I ever had playing
>this game was fighting against those elite ogres in Stranglethorn Vale.

Major difference here:
Wipe in Stranglethorn Vale = run back to your corpse - 5 minutes
down time.
Wipe in Stratholme = do over from the start, unless you have a
self res up at the time - at worst several hours down the drain.

Another thing - within the first 7 fights you got one groupmember
killed and caused a second dangerous situation, perhaps the leader
feared that you would just get worse.
After all, a mistake/stupid move that amounts to a dangerous situation
in the first part could easily become a wipe if done further in where
the mobs are harder.

>That may be the case but I'd much prefer them to just say as much to me.
>When threatened with the wrath of doom about my playstyle, I do calm down.
>Instead, I just got kicked.

I agree that he should have warned you first, but I still understand
why he kicked you...

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann

Simon Nejmann <snejmann@worldonline.dk> wrote in

> On Sun, 22 May 2005 19:55:21 GMT, Cyde Weys <cyde@umd.edu> wrote:
>
>>"porl" <porlp@btinternet.com> wrote in
>>
>>> Maybe ^ that's the problem. Maybe other people don't want it mixed
>>> up a bit.
>>
>>I've run into that attitude often. But at the same time there are
>>people who love it geting mixed up. I still think the most fun I ever
>>had playing this game was fighting against those elite ogres in
>>Stranglethorn Vale.
>
> Major difference here:
> Wipe in Stranglethorn Vale = run back to your corpse - 5 minutes
> down time.
> Wipe in Stratholme = do over from the start, unless you have a
> self res up at the time - at worst several hours down the drain.

Do over from the start? Only if the mobs have managed to repop by then.
Which usually isn't the case. And even then the bosses will still be dead,
so it takes less time on the second way through.

--
~ Cyde Weys ~

Mana du vortes, mana du vortes
Aeria gloris, aeria gloris

If I had been the leader I'd have kicked you too. The fact
that you weren't *deliberately* trying to be irritating is
beside the point.

--
Nathan Engle Computer Support, IUB Psych Dept
nengle@indiana.edu http://mypage.iu.edu/~nengle

"Cyde Weys" <cyde@umd.edu> wrote in message
<snip> Cyde getting people killed <snip>

I can't believe I missed this whole thread.

Cyde you soul-less monster you, $15 bucks a month, that's what it comes down
to. If these guys play 4 hours a night, 5 days a week and they were doing a
3 hour Strath run, that's...75 cents in real-life money you could have cost
them if your tactics had caused a group wipe. Think about that you inhuman
beast you... seventy...five ...cents. How do you sleep at night?

But seriously, do that around your friends and they'll give you noogies and
call you a character. Do it around strangers and you are just begging for
trouble. Just like in real life my friend, just like in real life.

And another thing.. raiding Strath? Come on, that's a 5-man job you wimp.
:)

Xanex....UndeadRogueazon, /kick Cyde

"u" <u@mail.com> wrote in message news:d759ke$vfp$1@domitilla.aioe.org...
> but nobody pays you $22/hour to do dishes, it's your free time. that's
> when
> we play WoW, in our free time. Or when we have bubonic plague and have to
> call in sick for a whole week, like I did 2 months ago when I needed to
> level real fast from 50 to 60.

Damn, I hate the plague. I catch that every so often, usually after I eat
at the local Dennys.

You could say that I pay myself the $22 an hour to do dishes. The fact is,
I'm the one who decides to do the dishes. If you waste three hours of my
game time, where I'm not doing what I set out to do, you're the one that's
causing the loss of time. If Cyde wants me to be the audiance for his RP
instead of doing whatever instance we were doing, then my hourly rate is
known.

> 75 cents you lost. But in all honesty, it's the 3 hours that matter, not
> the money. Money can be made, time can not.

That's exactly my point. The time is lost, and time is money.

> You could say that I pay myself the $22 an hour to do dishes. The fact
> is, I'm the one who decides to do the dishes. If you waste three hours of
> my game time, where I'm not doing what I set out to do, you're the one
> that's causing the loss of time. If Cyde wants me to be the audiance for
> his RP instead of doing whatever instance we were doing, then my hourly
> rate is known.

So if you sit down to watch a movie on TV, and it ends up
not being as good as you thought it should be, the network
owes you $22/hr for wasting your free time? Or even better,
tell a movie theater you deserve your $10 back for watching
"Dude, Where's My Car?" and they'll more than likely
give it back if you were unsatisfied. Then tell them they
owe you an extra $33 for your time spent in the theater
not enjoying yourself. They'll giggle.

The only folks that are allowed to bill time to other people for
doing things they do on their own time are lawyers. And
even for them it's bad form to go overboard. But $75 for a
5 minute phone call is ok. :)

>> 75 cents you lost. But in all honesty, it's the 3 hours that matter, not
>> the money. Money can be made, time can not.
>
> That's exactly my point. The time is lost, and time is money.

But it's time nobody was paying you for in the first place.
Time is money is a dumb concept that only actually works
for compound interest payments :). And even the 75 cents
isn't "lost." You paid for the time on their servers, with
no gaurantee (sp?) of a 100% enjoyable, profitable time.
That same 75 cents that was paid by somebody else grinding
through 200 skill ups in leatherworking or simply in chat.

Because believe me...mine 200 thorium bars and grind out
Engineering to 315...I had no fun at all doing major parts
of the grind, and some of it was worse than my job. And
I was paying Blizzard for the privilege!!!

"Mark Rimer" <gone@not.there> wrote in message
> "sanjian" <sanjian@widomaker.com> wrote in message
> > You could say that I pay myself the $22 an hour to do dishes. The fact
> > is, I'm the one who decides to do the dishes. If you waste three hours of
> > my game time, where I'm not doing what I set out to do, you're the one
> > that's causing the loss of time. If Cyde wants me to be the audiance for
> > his RP instead of doing whatever instance we were doing, then my hourly
> > rate is known.
>
> So if you sit down to watch a movie on TV, and it ends up
> not being as good as you thought it should be, the network
> owes you $22/hr for wasting your free time? Or even better,
> tell a movie theater you deserve your $10 back for watching
> "Dude, Where's My Car?" and they'll more than likely
> give it back if you were unsatisfied. Then tell them they
> owe you an extra $33 for your time spent in the theater
> not enjoying yourself. They'll giggle.

You could always sue the movie's creators for intentional infliction of
emotional distress.

And really, after sitting through that movie an award for pain and suffering
is almost guarenteed. :p

--
Davian / Dearic (Bloodhoof)

"We need a new Mario game, where you rescue the princess in the first ten
minutes, and for the rest of the game you try and push down that sick feeling
in your stomach that she's "damaged goods"... When Peach asks you, in the
quiet of her mushroom castle bedroom "do you still love me?" you pretend to be
asleep. You press the A button rhythmically, to control your breath, keep it
even." - Joey Comeau on increased realism in gaming.

"Mark Rimer" <gone@not.there> wrote in message
> "sanjian" <sanjian@widomaker.com> wrote in message
>> You could say that I pay myself the $22 an hour to do dishes. The fact
>> is, I'm the one who decides to do the dishes. If you waste three hours
>> of my game time, where I'm not doing what I set out to do, you're the one
>> that's causing the loss of time. If Cyde wants me to be the audiance for
>> his RP instead of doing whatever instance we were doing, then my hourly
>> rate is known.
>
> So if you sit down to watch a movie on TV, and it ends up
> not being as good as you thought it should be, the network
> owes you $22/hr for wasting your free time? Or even better,

Retroactive regret is no more valid than retroactive rape. If someone
wanted me to watch "Dude, Where's My Plot?," they woud have to fork over $22
for each hour I'm forced to suffer through it, before I agree to watch. If,
by some act of monumental stupidity, I actually decide to watch that movie
on my own free will, then I am owed nothing. I figured this was kind of
common sense.

> tell a movie theater you deserve your $10 back for watching
> "Dude, Where's My Car?" and they'll more than likely
> give it back if you were unsatisfied. Then tell them they
> owe you an extra $33 for your time spent in the theater
> not enjoying yourself. They'll giggle.

As well they should. However, I'm sure you're bright enough to understand
how this little sidebar does not address the point I was making.

> The only folks that are allowed to bill time to other people for
> doing things they do on their own time are lawyers. And
> even for them it's bad form to go overboard. But $75 for a
> 5 minute phone call is ok. :)

I'm not a lawyer, but I charged half an hour's worth of time to my employer
last week, while I was at home. My lead called me to work out some issues
with a job we have going on. That was time I was stuck doing company
business, and not doing what I wished to be doing. My time, but it was
taken up by my employer; if they didn't want to pay, they wouldn't have
gotten the time.

>>> 75 cents you lost. But in all honesty, it's the 3 hours that matter,
>>> not
>>> the money. Money can be made, time can not.
>>
>> That's exactly my point. The time is lost, and time is money.
>
> But it's time nobody was paying you for in the first place.

Immaterial. If someone wants the time, they have to pay for it. Could my
employer expect to retain me if they said that I should put in an extra
unpaid twenty hours a week, since it was time that nobody was paying me for,
in the first place? Hell, why not the first fourty hours, as well? I am
able to charge my company specifically because my time has value, even if
it's just to me. It is a "scare commodity for which there are alternative
uses." Whether or not that time is currently being charged for, it still
has value.

> Time is money is a dumb concept that only actually works

You're right, time is not money. However, money is the compensation for
lost time. In that case, the adage "time is money," while not technically
accurate is still meaningful.

> for compound interest payments :). And even the 75 cents
> isn't "lost." You paid for the time on their servers, with
> no gaurantee (sp?) of a 100% enjoyable, profitable time.
> That same 75 cents that was paid by somebody else grinding
> through 200 skill ups in leatherworking or simply in chat.

I never said anything about the 75 cents. Address that to the proper
person.

> Because believe me...mine 200 thorium bars and grind out
> Engineering to 315...I had no fun at all doing major parts
> of the grind, and some of it was worse than my job. And
> I was paying Blizzard for the privilege!!!

Your choice based on your desire to have your engineering skill at 315. If
someone had wanted you to farm those those bars for them, I'm sure you would
have seen your time as money - real or in-game currency.