External flash for Pentax ist DL or DS

Last response: in Digital Camera
August 9, 2005 8:42:27 AM

I currently own a Sunpak 355, used with a Pentax Z5N - if I buy an ist
DL or DS, will I be able to use this flash, or will I need to purchase
a different one?

Bill
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 10:32:44 AM

Pete D wrote:

> You would be better off getting one that communicated with the camera, if it
> is standard single pin foot it will probably work okay but in manual mode.

I guess that's my question; the 355 I own is Pentax-dedicated, but does
that dedication not include their digital SLR's? If that's the case,
what (inexpensive, preferably) flash would you recommend?

Bill
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 2:41:54 PM

wkasimer@comcast.net wrote:

>I currently own a Sunpak 355, used with a Pentax Z5N - if I buy an ist
>DL or DS, will I be able to use this flash, or will I need to purchase
>a different one?

Depends on the kind of flash-to-camera dedication the Sunpak has.
As you know, non-dedicated flashes have just a single electrical contact
in the center of the shoe.
Flashes with one central contact plus one additional contact just set
the camera to the correct flash sync speed; they'll work with the
digital just as they do with film cameras, I think.
TTL flashes (and I expect your Sunpak is one) have the main central
contact plus either two or three additional ones. If it's two extra then
the flash uses analog communication between the flash and camera. If
three, than it's digital communication protocol. Either one will work
fairly well with a DSLR, but ideally you'd like one of the newest
flashes that does pre-flash TTL (P-TTL). Unfortunately, there's no way
to visually distinguish these from the standard digital TTL flashes, but
the only two I know of at this time are Pentax's AF360-FGZ and the Sigma
EF500 DG Super.
If your Sunpak does TTL (either two or three contacts in addition to the
main, central one) you should give it a try and see how it works for
you.
I have the Sigma DG Super and it's a brilliant piece of kit. If the
Sunpak doesn't meet your needs I'd suggest one of these. Highly
recommended.

--
Mark Roberts
Photography and writing

<wkasimer@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I currently own a Sunpak 355, used with a Pentax Z5N - if I buy an ist
> DL or DS, will I be able to use this flash, or will I need to purchase
> a different one?
>
> Bill

Anonymous
August 9, 2005 7:03:39 PM

On 9 Aug 2005 06:32:44 -0700, wkasimer@comcast.net wrote:

>Pete D wrote:
>
>> You would be better off getting one that communicated with the camera, if it
>> is standard single pin foot it will probably work okay but in manual mode.
>
>I guess that's my question; the 355 I own is Pentax-dedicated, but does
>that dedication not include their digital SLR's? If that's the case,
>what (inexpensive, preferably) flash would you recommend?

If it's Pentax dedicated it should work fine. The D/DS
(don't know about the DL) will work both TTL (like yours) or
P-TTL flash protocols. I use an ancient Cullmann DC-36 with
Metz SCA372 (Pentax) adaptor on my DS, works perfectly.

Pentax told me the DS will work with any flash that was
designed to work with a Pentax film camera and I have no
reason to disbelieve them :-)

--
Regards

John Bean
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 12:13:32 AM

I have a AF260Sa, cheap and they work great for short indoor sort of
shooting, I also have a 400FTZ, bit of a monster but it does ecerything and
puts out a huge amount of light. If you want better then the Pentax 360FGZ
is very good, the Sigma 500 series is also very good.

"John Bean" <waterfoot@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On 9 Aug 2005 06:32:44 -0700, wkasimer@comcast.net wrote:
>

>>Pete D wrote:
>>
>>> You would be better off getting one that communicated with the camera,
>>> if it
>>> is standard single pin foot it will probably work okay but in manual
>>> mode.
>>
>>I guess that's my question; the 355 I own is Pentax-dedicated, but does
>>that dedication not include their digital SLR's? If that's the case,
>>what (inexpensive, preferably) flash would you recommend?
>
> If it's Pentax dedicated it should work fine. The D/DS
> (don't know about the DL) will work both TTL (like yours) or
> P-TTL flash protocols. I use an ancient Cullmann DC-36 with
> Metz SCA372 (Pentax) adaptor on my DS, works perfectly.
>
> Pentax told me the DS will work with any flash that was
> designed to work with a Pentax film camera and I have no
> reason to disbelieve them :-)
>
> --
> Regards
>
> John Bean
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 8:02:58 AM

Thanks to all who responded so quickly. It's "tax-free" weekend in
Massachusetts this weekend...

Bill

!