Poor APU performance

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 12, 2012 1:54:14 PM

Hello. I bought a new pc:

Quote:
Processor: AMD A8 3870K

Motherboard: Asus F1A75-M LE

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4096MB DDR3 1600Mhz

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Green 500GB 64MB Sata III (6GB/s)

Power Supply: OCZ ZS Series 550W

I formated it and it's very fast, the web browsing, application startup speed and etc. is just like my i7 pc.

The problem is with the graphics, that processor has an APU known as hd6550d. I installed every driver in the motherboard's DVD (including the Asus AlSuite II), but the gaming performance is very, very bad. It can't even run FurMark in an acceptable framerate, and runs Heaven Benchmark in the lowest settings in 800x600 with 15-25 fps.
Toy Story 3 in high quality in 1440x900 (very basic graphics) runs with 25-30 fps.

I tried installing the drivers from the internet (the updated ones), but it makes no diference. I updated the BIOS as well.

Meanwhile, people with the same CPU/APU are playing DiRT 3 and Batman AC in a very acceptable framerate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl9QlGuEDug

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz-m5pihZOE

More about : poor apu performance

May 12, 2012 10:45:32 PM

Does anyone know what's causing this?
m
l
May 13, 2012 12:08:19 AM

Basic question, but have you checked for newer drivers on Asus website?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

May 13, 2012 12:29:43 AM

+what are the videos supposed to show ? looks like they run fine to me............. the apu's run best with the fastest ram ( 1866 in this case ) should have done your homework.

futuremark is hard on any system. wouldn't waste my time.

forget about frame rates. different things run fine at different frame rates. does it play smoothly ? Did you check your game settings ? is the monitor refresh rate right ? did you think about adding a card to crossfire with the on board ?

AMD A8-3850 APU Gaming Performance Comparison Linus Tech Tips
May 13, 2012 12:39:12 AM

Its an APU. It isnt going to do any kind of high end gaming even in low resolutions, not sure what you expected it to do besides suck :) 
m
l
May 13, 2012 11:10:48 AM

k3rizz3k said:
Basic question, but have you checked for newer drivers on Asus website?

Yes. I installed multiple versions from there, still the same.
m
l
May 13, 2012 11:17:51 AM

swifty_morgan said:
+what are the videos supposed to show ? looks like they run fine to me............. the apu's run best with the fastest ram ( 1866 in this case ) should have done your homework.

futuremark is hard on any system. wouldn't waste my time.

forget about frame rates. different things run fine at different frame rates. does it play smoothly ? Did you check your game settings ? is the monitor refresh rate right ? did you think about adding a card to crossfire with the on board ?

AMD A8-3850 APU Gaming Performance Comparison Linus Tech Tips

What I wanna show with the video is that there are people with the same APU and no graphics card that have like 80% more performance than me.
Will a 1866MHz RAM actually do any diference? Tom's Hardware made a review here:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/pentium-g620-amd-a8-3870k...

With a 1600MHz RAM, 8GB though. Same motherboard too (just the PRO version), RAM seems to be very similar too.

No, Toy Story 3 doesn't run smoothly. The game settings are on medium, 1440x900 I think, but the graphics are crappy, so it should run smoothly. The monitor seems to be OK and no, I don't wanna add a card because not having a dedicated graphics card right now was the reason that made me choose this processor. But if it's the only solution...

By the way, check that review, it runs Battlefield 3 on low, 1024x768 with 29-35 FPS.
m
l
May 24, 2012 12:52:29 PM

Best answer selected by PORTUGUiTELiTE.
m
l
!