Sign in with
Your question

Unresponsive Error

Last response: in Components
November 14, 2012 6:49:31 PM

Hey guys, I've put a lot of time into researching this problem I just can't seem to make heads or tails of it. My computer keeps giving me an unresponsive error (It's brand new pretty high tech). I've gone through alot of tests and opened it up quite a few times to check components individually. My best theory atm is static electricity* build up, yet the plug in the wall and my extender cable are both "grounded" so I don't know how It could be building static up.

*not a static wave of electricity because that would fry everything. Just "Static Electricity" in general.

Can anyone help?

System Specs:
EVGA GeForce GTX690 4096MB GDDR5 512bit
i7 3930k 3.2GHZ

16GB Ripjaw Ram(4x4GB)

Corsair AX1200 Gold series PSU

ASUS RAMPAGE IV EXTREME - LGA2011 - X79 - 8x DIMM - PCIe 3.0 Motherboard

OCZ vertex4 512GB SSD
1 TB Western Digital Caviar Black SATA III

More about : unresponsive error

November 14, 2012 7:01:09 PM

Unresponsive errors in new builds are usually memory problems. Have you run memtest? You should run it for at least 12 hours with 16GB of RAM. Any errors at all mean you have a bad stick or it's configured wrong.

http://www.memtest.org/

It could also be the SSD. If memtest does not find any problems try a differnt SATA port and cable. Also make sure your firmware is up to date.
November 14, 2012 7:01:16 PM

Hi, Can you be more specific regarding the unresponsive error? DId the system work after assembling it? What's the BIOS version?
Related resources
November 14, 2012 7:16:51 PM

Bios Version : _ASUS_ - 1072009
BIOS Date: 06/04/12 17:18:09 Ver: 14.04

We installed the system about a month ago, and I had my first unresponsive error the next day. The unresponsive errors happened usually once a day but they are a bit random for example i had 12 today but 1 yesterday. I ran memtest for 10 hours but nothing came up. The system works fine apart from the errors, I can play games and render stuff with no problems. Until the error occurs and i reset the comp. I get this heavy static sound coming from my headphones and the screen freezes up and nothing works.

Dont know if it's relevant but im using a saitek cyborg keyboard and the razer tiamat 7.1 headset.

PS: I basic only used Laptops to this day and this is the first Desktop system I put together, obviously setting up the system was something a more experienced friend did I just observed.
November 14, 2012 7:34:40 PM

What you can try: reinstall Windows, only the necessary drivers (video, audio), no other ASUS aplications, install a game that you know it gives errors and test.
Borrow a graphics card from your friend for testing only.
Update the BIOS (make sure that you know how to, as it migh render the board unusable).
!