What case? I need a new one.

danjm99

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
I'm looking to buy a new case for new components... I just missed out on an Antec 900 on eBay.

I've been looking at the CM Storm Scout... What is it like compared to the 900? I can't be spending too much money, and I am willing to buy second hard. Paying £150 for some metal and a few fans? Biggest shitty scam ever.

I'll spend up to say £70 (GBP), new or second hand.

Cooling is my main priority, I don't want anything that looks over the top either with all them stupid lights, chrome parts and completely weird shapes... They appeal to 12 year olds, not me :) Lights on fans I can deal with, preferably red or blue.

Looked at:
Antec 300 (not really appropriate as a 12" video card won't fit in it.
Antec 900
CM Storm Scout
HAF 912
CM690 II Lite

kulmnar

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
A 12" card may not fit in a coolermaster storm scout case. Most of the info that I have found about that case indicates that it will fit up to 11" cards.

danjm99

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
The bay for drives can be removed can't it? I mount my hard drive to 5.25 mounting brackets, so removing that tray is a possibility.

kulmnar

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011

Coolermaster is silent on the issue of removing the drive bays and also silent on the maximum graphics card size. You would think they would provide this information for a gaming case but they don't. I say, stay away.

kulmnar

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
When considering gaming cases, first check the manufacturer specs for maximum graphics card size, maximum CPU cooler height, fan slots and included fans (and supported motherboard/psu sizes). If the manufacturer doesn't provide some of this information, hunt for it on google.

danjm99

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
If they're making gaming cases but won't disclose that to general customers then I think I will stay away to be honest. I might just see if I can pick up an Antec 900 in work... I'm sure I seen one. I'm in PC world so I would get a colleague discount... plus extra if it's only the display model left in.

Unless anyone has other ideas?!

Both the CM Storm Scout and the Antec 900 are pretty old designs. They have their limitations, eg. poor cable management and no USB3.0. I'd suggest newer cases like the CM Storm Scout 2. Costs a little more though.

There is a CM Scout II and its clear that you can fit 1 large graphics card by removing one of the 2 drive bays. The HAF 912 also provides this feature. Cooler master is a excellent company for cases and in my opinion is better then ANTEC.

cm-storm-scout-2-custom-pc-review-38.jpg

haf 912 Directly from cooler masters site

HAF912Adv-web-feature-04-600.jpg

Well check that out yea I don't see an issue as long as you go with a shorter card that card isn't terribly long.

danjm99

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012

I was looking at getting the 580/680, which are the same size as each other... same card as featured in the posted video. I think I will just do that.