Sign in with
Your question

PSU needed for i5 3570k + 7950 vapor x OC + z77 extreme 4

Last response: in Components
November 14, 2012 7:34:24 PM

Hello,

As the topic states, i am building a new computer and I need a PSU. Now I think i will go for a modular one, for airflow reasons since i am going to overclock my gpu and cpu.

CPU: i5 3570k
GPU: 7950 Vapor-x sapphire
MOBO: Asrock z77 extreme4
RAM: Corsair 8gb DDR3-1600 Kit (9CAS, XMP
PSU: Corsair CX 750watt
CPU : CM Hyper 212 EVO
SSD: Samsung 830 - 128 gb basic kit

Price range around 85 euro's.

Antec HCG-620M or Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 620WATT ?

about the same price, 82 euro's. But which one is better?

Or is there a better option for me?

Regards,

Leon
November 15, 2012 12:47:04 AM

You are look at about 500w usage, i would recommend either one of the 620w PSUs, though the 750 leaves room for a bit of upgrading, if anything get a silver rated 600w PSU so at least it will be efficient. I do prefer Cooler Master as my brand of choice for PSUs if that means anything to you.
a c 254 ) Power supply
a c 218 à CPUs
November 15, 2012 1:19:24 AM

I would not buy that Coolermaster. The Antec is an excellent choice though. If you ever plan on adding a second card in Crossfire you will want to go with a 700w or better unit.
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
November 15, 2012 1:28:40 AM

The silent pro series from coolermaster are the only good power supplies they sell, stay away from all the rest. I would go with the Antec HCG-620M, cost less and better rating.
a c 254 ) Power supply
a c 218 à CPUs
November 15, 2012 1:53:12 AM

knightdog56 said:
The silent pro series from coolermaster are the only good power supplies they sell, stay away from all the rest. I would go with the Antec HCG-620M, cost less and better rating.

No. You really can't say Coolermaster has a good series due to all the OEMs they use. If anything only the Enhance Electronics made Silent Pro Gold series is good. The Silent Pro M2 620 the OP asked about is Seventeam made trash.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page364.htm
November 15, 2012 6:29:47 PM

Thanks alot for the replies guys,

I guess i will go for the builder series CX 750 watt, so I can crossfire AND oc later on. Good choice? or should I go for the cx 600watt?

Just 15 euro's difference
a c 254 ) Power supply
a c 218 à CPUs
November 15, 2012 6:59:59 PM

The Antec HCG is a better power supply than the Corsair CX line. The CX line is good don't get me wrong, they do very well in reviews but they are Corsair's budget line and there are quite a few threads poping up that the capacitors used in them are not lasting like they should. Personally I have used them in quite a few budget builds and will continue to but I would not use one in a higher end build like yours. From what I can tell stressing them will make the cheap caps fail.

As I said above you will want 700 watts or more for 2 cards in Crossfire. Do you have access to any Seasonic units? The M12 is an excellent modular unit and the more expensive X series are among the best on the market. Any of the other Corsair models and XFX makes an excellent modular line.

I generally recommend Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, XFX, Silverstone, Enermax, OCZ, Antec and the higher end Rosewill units.
November 15, 2012 7:59:43 PM

Hmm the M12 is above my budget by quite alot.. I would love to get it but I simply can't..

So i'm looking at the Antec High Current Gamer HCG-620M now, which is 52 euro's cheaper, at 79.99..

I guess I can't Crossfire with that, but that's a problem for later I guess, the parts i'm gonna get are expensive and above my budget limit already, would that Antec High Current Gamer HCG-620M be a good choice? Or should I go for the 520watt since I can't CFX with the 620 anyway?

Thanks for the help!
a c 254 ) Power supply
a c 218 à CPUs
November 15, 2012 8:24:02 PM

The 520 would be fine, even with overclocking factored in.
November 15, 2012 9:43:54 PM

hmm what about a Corsair GS 700 watt? Same price overhere..can I run CFX with that one? 2x 7950 vapor-x OC (and gonna overclock them myself)

so many psu to choose from..
a c 254 ) Power supply
a c 218 à CPUs
November 15, 2012 10:21:46 PM

The GS series is very good. It's not modular though if that's still something you want.

What website are you looking at? Even if it's not in English I can take a look and see if any good deals stand out especially if you have some of the brands not common here in the US available to you that are still high quality.
November 16, 2012 9:23:42 AM

knightdog56 said:

Yup get the silent pro i run an 800w gold rated silent pro in mine and love it.
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2012 12:19:31 PM

I would say get a 700W + so u can have some upg possibilities.

My system dsnt pull 750 W but i intend to SLI later so i just bought it :) 

Also Choose Corsair Tx/Ax or brands like seasonic /antec .

And NOT cooler master. Their psu are craps onyl the M series can do smthing :) 

I was buing the silent m 600 but got an offer of 80 $ for this so i bought it !
a c 254 ) Power supply
a c 218 à CPUs
November 16, 2012 5:07:42 PM

Lvd050 said:
The websites are are:

(linking directly into the PSU section so it's easier for you)

http://www.alternate.nl/html/product/listing.html?navId...

http://www.norrod.nl/zkb_01com/29_psu/catalog.aspx

http://www.mycom.nl/Productgroep/Hardware/Voeding/24561

Thanks for the help, i appreciate it alot!

Corsair TX550M For 70 Euros. Modular. Not a bad unit but not great.

http://www.alternate.nl/html/product/Corsair/TX550M/905...

XFX Pro 550W Core Edition for 58 Euro. Not modular but excellent for the price.

http://www.alternate.nl/html/product/XFX/PRO550W_Core_E...

Antec HCG 520M for 79 Euros. Modular. Better than the Corsair.

http://www.alternate.nl/html/product/Antec/High_Current...

620w version for the same price of 79 Euros. Might as well get it for the same price since they don't have the 520 version at all.

http://www.norrod.nl/voedingen/20069657/antec_high_curr...

Actually here is the 620 for 70 Euros. I will leave the above link in case they are out of stock or something. Cheaper than the 520 for some reason.

http://www.mycom.nl/Product/Componenten-Voeding/Antec-H...

Looks like the Antecs are the best modular units in your price range to me. The XFX is the best deal on a non modular unit for the price. Both the Antec units and the XFX are made by Seasonic.
a c 254 ) Power supply
a c 218 à CPUs
November 16, 2012 6:13:06 PM

Don't recommend crap please. As I already pointed out in this thread the Silent Pro M2 is Seventeam made garbage. I would never recommend Coolermaster anyway not just due to 90% of their units being garbage but they put liar labels on quite a few of their units knowing full well that the units can't provide the rated voltage.
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2012 6:16:55 PM

anort3 said:
Don't recommend crap please. As I already pointed out in this thread the Silent Pro M2 is Seventeam made garbage. I would never recommend Coolemaster anyway not just due to 90% of their units being garbage but they put liar labels on quite a few of their units knowing full well that the units can't provide the rated voltage.

Silent M is the only series that CM can be proud of. Other's are garbage :) 

Even though i would go with the antec one.
November 16, 2012 6:40:20 PM

thanks guys!

Hmm so i'll go for the Antec high end current gamer 620 watt Modular, seems to be the best choice then :) \

Just to make sure: Antec HCG 620watt M is better than a Corsair GS700 watt ?

PS: facepalm, noob question, how can I select the best answer thingy?:p  to give the helping people something in return now and next time.
November 16, 2012 6:55:51 PM

Problem is, i can't go CFX with the 620 hcg M since it has 1x 6 pin and 2x 6pin+2, and the card i'm going to buy uses 2x 6 pin..

If there only was a 4x 6 pin psu above like 700 watt which is well built too and for a reasonable price :(  hmm

a c 254 ) Power supply
a c 218 à CPUs
November 16, 2012 6:58:50 PM

2690855,19,1062588 said:
Silent M is the only series that CM can be proud of. Other's are garbage :)  quotemsg]

No. Whoever told you that is wrong. The Silent Pro Gold units made by Enhance Electronics are decent. The Silent Pro M made by Seventeam is trash. The manufacturer matters!

Yep the Antec is the best for your money. Is it better than the Corsair GS....probably not better but equal. And it's moduar while the Corsair is not.

I don't think you can select a best answer since this thread is a discussion and not a question. A moderator may be able to do it.
a c 254 ) Power supply
a c 218 à CPUs
November 16, 2012 7:01:51 PM

Lvd050 said:
Problem is, i can't go CFX with the 620 hcg M since it has 1x 6 pin and 2x 6pin+2, and the card i'm going to buy uses 2x 6 pin.. hmmm...

the GS 700 has got the 2x 6pin+2 but it doesn't seem to be that good.. Sigh!

No the GS series is great. I thought you wanted modular and did not know you wanted to add a second card.
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2012 7:05:29 PM

That 6+2 pin (the +2 can be removed) I have the tx 750 W and have 6x 6+2 pin. And i use that on my Gtx 560 Ti
November 16, 2012 7:15:19 PM

Well I might want to add a card later, when I am not statified the way my system is running games. So I kinda want to buy a PSU who's ready for that task, instead of buying a new PSU for Crossfire..

Newegg comments tell me the GS700 isn't that great though ;/

hmm should I go for the TX 750 then? abit above my budget, but I guess that PSU is well built (seasonic based..right?)
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2012 7:19:39 PM

The v2 is from seasonic
the v1 that i have is from CWT.

So V2 should be better. Even though v1 is well known and very good PSU.

Its been 1 month with my Tx 750 V1 and its all so good.

So PSU is the most important part of the PC. So choose it wisely. I wanted to get a 550-650 W psu but i got this and from corsair.

I was getting the HX 650 but shipping was high so i didnt get it.

IMO get the TX/HX series

a c 254 ) Power supply
a c 218 à CPUs
November 16, 2012 7:24:32 PM

Don't listen to newegg reviews ;) 

Hardwaresecrets Golden ( highest ) award.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Corsair-GS700-Br...

I am not recommending the TX series right now unless you are sure it's the TX V2. There are actually 3 versions now. The TX V1 was made by CWT and was very good. The TX V2 was made by Seasonic and was even better. The new TX V3 is made by Chicony Power Technology ( HiPro ) and is so new no real reviews exist yet. Early reports show cheap made in China capacitors though and not the high quality solid Japanese caps in the earlier models.
a c 254 ) Power supply
a c 218 à CPUs
November 16, 2012 7:28:43 PM

prototype18 said:
The v2 is from seasonic
the v1 that i have is from CWT.

So V2 should be better. Even though v1 is well known and very good PSU.

Its been 1 month with my Tx 750 V1 and its all so good.

So PSU is the most important part of the PC. So choose it wisely. I wanted to get a 550-650 W psu but i got this and from corsair.

I was getting the HX 650 but shipping was high so i didnt get it.

IMO get the TX/HX series

If you have a 1 month old 750TX it's not the V1 it's the V3. The CWT made V1 was discontinued over 2 years ago. If it has model number 75-001309 on it it's the new one.
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2012 7:31:24 PM

I didnt say o bought it from newegg -.-'

I said its been 1 moth of usage not.

I have still 5 years of warranty onto it.

Bought on germany from HoH.

And its V1 http://www.corsair.com/tx750w.html
a c 254 ) Power supply
a c 218 à CPUs
November 16, 2012 7:49:05 PM

I was not talking to you about newegg.

If you have a 750TX bought in the last 2 months you have a V3. Unless it sat in a warehouse somewhere for 2 years. Easy enough to look at the sticker on the side. Model number 75-001309 means Chicony Power Technology. The V2 model has V2 on the label. The V1 and V3 do not have that written on them.

I have a CWT made V1. I bought it over 3 years ago.
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2012 7:54:53 PM

Its the same as the one that i linked to you. Is it so hard. Or u are in my PC and u know what i have ??

Im saying it's a V1 . Say whatever u like u cant change it.

a c 254 ) Power supply
a c 218 à CPUs
November 16, 2012 8:12:56 PM

The one you linked me to has no model number shown and if you ordered it as shown you would get a V3. It's the only version Corsair sells now.

I could care less what hardware you have. All I care is that correct information is what gets posted here.

It's very easy. 2007-2010 CWT made V1. 2011-2012 Seasonic made V2. 2012- Chicony Power Technology made V3.
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2012 8:19:08 PM

I will PM u the number after i remove the PSU .

I bought it as a V1 and company stated its a V1 !!! NOT a V3.

I dont care when its made . I care for what i get and i got a V1.
November 16, 2012 9:51:06 PM

Yeah I prefer a modular PSU, for airflow and such.

Would that one be a good choice then? Crossfire ready(it should handle the gpu x2 and cpu etc even overclocked.. right?) and well built and so on?
(the one I linked that is)
a c 254 ) Power supply
a c 218 à CPUs
November 16, 2012 10:11:30 PM

Quote:
Thats the V2 version but modular.

No, it's not. The TXM series has only 2 versions. It is a newer series but were always made by CWT and they did not do nearly as well in reviews as the Seasonic made TX V2. The Seasonic TX V2 units scored over 9 or over in jonnyguru reviews while the same wattage TXM series scored a full point less usually.

TX 750M review:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

The CWT made TX750 M was discontinued at the same time the Seasonic made TX 750 V2 was and both units are both made by Chicony Power Technology now.

These new units may turn out good. But as I said, I have seen threads on the jonnyguru forum with people showing the new units opened and having cheap Chinese made capacitors in them and not the high quality Japanese solid caps found in all modern high quality power supplies. And Chicony Power Technology is also known as HiPro and they don't have the best reputation.
November 16, 2012 10:24:09 PM

Oh yeah I see now :p  Seems to be really nice indeed :) 

will it handle overclocking + crossfire though?:p 

Cheers for all the help so far guys I can't say it enough, I appreciate it alot!

Edit: didn't read Anort3' last post.. Hmm so I should look for a TX 750M V2 or?
a c 254 ) Power supply
a c 218 à CPUs
November 16, 2012 10:34:55 PM

Ok want something that can run 2 x HD 7950s and is modular.... it's going to cost you a bit more. As I said the non modular Cosair GS 700 is a great unit.

OCZ ZT. Made by Great Wall, fully modular and very good reviews. 96 Euros.

http://www.mycom.nl/Product/Componenten-Voeding/OCZ-ZT-...

OCZ ModXStream Pro. Made by Sirtec, fully modular and great reviews. 86 Euos.

http://www.alternate.nl/html/product/OCZ/ModXStream_Pro...

The ZT is a better unit.

Really after looking at all 3 of those websites those look like your best bet. You really do not have much to choose from and what is there is crazy expensive. My choices would be either the GS 700 or the OCZ ZT.

You could also get a Corsair TX or TXM. Just be aware they may not be the same quality Corsair is usually known for.
a c 254 ) Power supply
a c 218 à CPUs
November 16, 2012 10:37:09 PM

Lvd050 said:
Oh yeah I see now :p  Seems to be really nice indeed :) 

will it handle overclocking + crossfire though?:p 

Cheers for all the help so far guys I can't say it enough, I appreciate it alot!

Edit: didn't read Anort3' last post.. Hmm so I should look for a TX 750M V2 or?

The TXM V2 is what now is made by Chicony Power Technology. It will not say V2 on it just like the Corsair TX does not say V3 on it anywhere. The only way to tell is by model number.
November 16, 2012 10:48:56 PM

After reading johnnyguru's review on the OCZ ZT, i will go for that one. for sure.

He gave it a score of 9, and overall it seems to be pretty good!

Atlast I found a PSU :p  thanks to you guys, you all rock for helping other people out!

Edit: Amagad, didnt refresh it and now theres another option? HX 650 gold? hmm i will look it up on some reviews..
a c 254 ) Power supply
a c 218 à CPUs
November 16, 2012 10:56:50 PM

HX 650 is excellent but overpriced and not in the 700w or more range you will need for 2 x HD 7950s.
November 16, 2012 11:08:13 PM

Darn it, well what about this one then?

http://www.norrod.nl/voedingen/80009208/evga_supernova_...

gonna check reviews in the meanwhile.. -_-

Edit: it's Gold, Modular, High quality Japanese parts, 750 watts, 5 yr warranty
but no reviews around, but it looks good on paper.. for 100 euro's;o
a c 260 ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2012 11:29:45 PM

anort3 said:
Don't recommend crap please. As I already pointed out in this thread the Silent Pro M2 is Seventeam made garbage. I would never recommend Coolermaster anyway not just due to 90% of their units being garbage but they put liar labels on quite a few of their units knowing full well that the units can't provide the rated voltage.

^ +1 on CM PSU's
a c 254 ) Power supply
a c 218 à CPUs
November 16, 2012 11:47:27 PM

Lvd050 said:
Darn it, well what about this one then?

http://www.norrod.nl/voedingen/80009208/evga_supernova_...

gonna check reviews in the meanwhile.. -_-

Edit: it's Gold, Modular, High quality Japanese parts, 750 watts, 5 yr warranty
but no reviews around, but it looks good on paper.. for 100 euro's;o

The Supernovas are decent but not great. As I said above the OCZ ZT is your best choice for the money for a modular unit and the Corsair GS 700 for non modular.

Edit:
For 80 Plus Gold that is cheap though. The 1500w Supernova got an 8.7/10. Voltage regulation was not great. That might be fixed on the lower wattage units though.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...
November 17, 2012 12:05:02 AM

Yeah it is, and I read alot about the FAN speeding up to 100% and making alot of noise at OCZ ZT psu's. It's a common bugg apperently and lots of people seem to have to rma it. Even 5 posts of that makes me nervous.

I might go for an XFX 850 watt black edition, it seems to be absolutely amazing.. 120 euro's though. Johnnyguru gave it a 10 for performance! 9.6 overall :o  And reading alot about it being an awesome and reliable psu..

So i guess it now comes down to either the:

EVGA SuperNOVA NEX750G Gold
(gold, 5 yr warrenty, CFX ready, 'hq japanese parts' and 100 euro's)

or

XFX 850W Black Edition (johnyguru review:http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...)

seems to be very good, but 120 euro's..

(Edit: the XFX 750 watt XXX edition seems to be based on the 850watt black edition and equally good, but 100watt less and like 15 euro's less.. might aswell go for that)
!