Build PC i5 2500K or FX 8120

BlackCath

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
Hi, I am about to build a PC. I'm a noob with processor, motherboard, well almost everything.

EDIT:

Approximate Purchase Date: This month or next
Budget Range: $600
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Software Development, DBMS, Gaming, Watching Movies
Parts Not Required: Case, Monitor, Hard Drive, Optical Drives, Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Any site that can deliver in México *
Parts Preferences:
Overclocking: Not sure if needed
SLI or Crossfire: Maybe later
Monitor Resolution:
Additional Comments: There are no good dealers in Mexico, is hard to find a processor even at bestbuy.mx

The purpouse of this PC is, above all other options, productivity. I'm a software developer, I use VS2010, ExpressionBlend, MSSQL, PostgreSQL, Eclipse, Rad Studio XE, Unity. Not at the same time, of course. Also, I want to use 3 monitors, more space, more code, more tests.

But, sometimes, I'd like to play games, or watch movies. I don't want to play the latest game at full settings and high quality. It's not my objective. But I want something decent to enjoy a game like starcraft2 with good quality. I've read that is a good option to save a few bucks from the processor, and buy a better video card. Whicj video card do you recommend for me?

So, for my system, is good enough the FX 8120? Or should I go for the 2500K? Or another?

Any help with the motherboard will be very appreciated.

Note: I have a limited budget.

If you need more details. just ask.. :)

* I'm not sure if Amazon, Microcenter or those kind of sites can deliver to my country, I've never done this before.

Thanks.

Solution
Oh I see, if 600 for the mobo and CPU is all you need. That is perfectly doable. I think if you went with something like an i7-2600K, 2700K or 3770K this would give you what you're looking for as far as something in the middle. And pair this up with a Z68 or Z77 motherboard. Now I would be shopping around, surely there is some place in Mexico you can get these products without paying way more. Its not like you live on an Island somewhere like Gilligan, its Mexico for crying out loud.

Mobo-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131821

CPU- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116501

Now that motherboard is actually more expensive than you need, but its a very high quality board with a 5 year...

PanicMaster85

Distinguished
what is the price difference on them because your only going to get real facts from people who are not intel fan boys i promise you that 90% people will say that the 8120 is a piece of *** but i own one and i don't think so... anyways whats the price differense andwhat kind of stuff will you be doing on this machine?

BlackCath

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012

Hi,

i5 is $260
Fx is $183

Ask for another and I'll search for it's price.

I'll use this for software develop, (NET, Java, DBMS, ...) but I want a system that runs a lot of games (sc2, crysis2, farcry2) with no problems, I dont want to set all settings to low to play smoothly.

PanicMaster85

Distinguished
ok im no expert but look up the fx-8150 that's also nice and it's smack dab in the middle again people HATE it but I again think it will work for you by the way are you going to be doing a lot of multitasking? like writing script while watching a video and looking up issure fixes or something like that?

eojhet

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009
I would say that the i5 is a much more powerful processor, and most times you get what you pay for. If money is an issue than there is nothing wrong with the AMD processor. I have a phenom II 965 black that i bought for maybe 140 over a year ago and I can play most new games at top settings with an amd 6870 video card. BF 3 plays perfectly at the highest settings (minus top AA and AF settings). It isn't that the processor doesn't have a lot to do with gameplay but where we are at right now you don't need to get the best to play games like star craft. The i5 is great but if you'd rather throw the extra money into a better graphics card or more storage or whatever else you need.

PanicMaster85

Distinguished
nah don't worry im no fan boy I support Intell 100% im just saying I like the 8120 but the 8120 is better for multitasking and the 2500K is better for gaming but more expensive so I really don't know i'm just really liking my 8120 so far :p

Intel just costs too much, especially in that situation 260 bucks? It may be a better CPU, but its not $80 better. Five Guys makes the best cheeseburgers in the world as far as I'm concerned, that doesn't mean $12 for a burger and fries isn't ridiculous. :heink:

hmmm.... most of the replays are people who want to talk about AMD vs Intel, i am not a fanboy from AMD or Intel, the only thing i care about CPUs is their power,

*sigh* You have a swastika as your avatar, I'm not sure if that screams troll or jackass.

, and AMD Bulldozer architecture is one of the IT industry biggest fail and sucks, it might be good for some people but there way better options, just look at the benchmarks:
Yes, you're 100% correct, Bulldozers are so bad, in fact you can't even boot into Windows7 with them. THEY REALLY ARE THAT BAD.

The OP said that the 2500K is $260 where he lives, I would assume in the absence of him not filling out the form, that hes probably not from the USA.

The i5 beats the FX 8150 in almost everything and cost a bit more,
8120 per the OP costs $183 where he lives and $260 for the 2500K, sorry, but thats not a "bit" more. Please pay attention before jumping in head first, it would save us all a headache.

plataform with a 5 3570k wich is about 10%-15%

No... its about 6% better than Sandy, do I really need to show you the benches on that? Or can you let your fingers do the walking?

Again, we have this "how to ask for new build advice" form which I asked the OP to fill out for a reason.. Why? So I don't have to waste my time recommending parts that may or may not be what the OP is looking for.

Edit, I'll save you the trouble.. Wheres your 10-15 percent?

http://vr-zone.com/articles/ivy-bridge-vs-sandy-bridge--4.8ghz-quad-core-cpu-showdown/15637.html

With the exception of a couple synthetic benchmarks (who really cares about those), practical applications are hard pressed to break 5% improvement across the board. Games didn't even break a half a percent.

PanicMaster85

Distinguished
Sure but I think the reason people say it sucks so much is because AMD over advertised it... it's not as bad as they say it is I can game and watch a video with the same fps in the game as i would if i was not watching a video... now im not saying that the 2500k is bad im just saying that program scripting is normally a lot of multitasking and the 8120 and 8150 are very good for that

hmmm.... most of the replays are people who want to talk about AMD vs Intel, i am not a fanboy from AMD or Intel, the only thing i care about CPUs is their power, thats it, and AMD Bulldozer architecture is one of the IT industry biggest fail and sucks, it might be good for some people but there way better options, just look at the benchmarks:

FX 8150/ 3.6Ghz/ Eight cores/200$ vs i5 2500k/3.3Ghz/220$

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/434?vs=288

The i5 beats the FX 8150 in almost everything and cost a bit more, i made you two builds based on a Z77 plataform with a 5 3570k wich is about 10%-15% faster than the i5 2500k so it will blow the FX 8150 out of the water abour 10%-15% harder than the i5 2500k

There are many situations where the FX 8150 out performs the 2500k and sometimes even the 2600k .Mostly encoding situations . There are other situations where the shared FPU in each FX module is a disadvantage .
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/47155-amd-bulldozer-fx-8150-processor-review-9.html
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/47155-amd-bulldozer-fx-8150-processor-review-10.html

But as you say its about 10% cheaper , and 10% slower . That makes it fair value dont you think ?

And the future for FX looks quite bright . We already know that some of the performance difference is software . Windows 7 cant optimize core usage and that can trim more than 10% from its performance in some situations . Win 8 should fix this .
We also know that we are weeks away from the launch of the reworked piledriver cpu's . These are another 10-15% more powerful per clock than bulldozer .
Combine those two things and you will likely see the IB processors being out gunned in a fairly broad range of applications , followed by a major price slash by intel .

But back to the OP's question .
By all means go with AMD FX. Most people would never be able to tell the difference without benchmarking to prop up their prejudices . This is even true in gaming where the intel fanboys claim superiority based on cherry picked benchmarking set ups . The real world is quite different .
If you can wait I'd build the FX system but install a cheap place holder athlon or sempron for a few weeks till piledriver is released , if you cant then Bulldozer will be fine , and you have a whole new generation of processors to update to some time in the future

PanicMaster85

Distinguished
yeah so can you explain this pildrivers they sound cool but iv'e never heard of them... Do you know any details?

But for OP's quesion the FX is a nice chip(I really like it) it will work well for you because you want faming and scripting so go with the FX unlike what outlander said you want to wait for the pildrivers.

G

The purpouse of this PC is, above all other options, productivity. I'm a software developer, I use VS2010, ExpressionBlend, MSSQL, PostgreSQL, Eclipse, Rad Studio XE, Unity. Not at the same time, of course. Also, I want to use 3 monitors, more space, more code, more tests.
then forget the 8120 and 2500k - you're going to have gamers argue over irrelevant details over your needs.

get
ASUS Z9NA-D6 ATX $299.99
and 2 of these:
Intel Xeon E5-2440 $849.99

if you do not have the budget for those, become an adult entertainer until you do.

case closed, please do the same with this thread.