Sign in with
Your question

AMD Trinity APU Temperature Oddity

Last response: in CPUs
a c 312 à CPUs
a c 128 À AMD
November 14, 2012 8:22:22 PM

I'm putting together a HTPC with an AMD A10-5800K APU. (This is my first venture into the APU world.) Whenever I check temp with Core Temp, it simply reads 1C untill I put a stress on the CPU such as w/Prime95. Same with AMD's own OverDrive app. There is either a 1C temp reported or the temps swing wildly from 1C to 30C+ up and down. It's only when the APU is stressed that the temps appear to read normally.

Does this seem to be a faulty APU temp sensor, or is this something that others have reported? It seems to me I remember reading something about this issue in the recent past.
a c 93 à CPUs
a b À AMD
November 14, 2012 8:34:03 PM

That sounds like a faulty sensor - those little bugs are almost never reliable, in any platform.
m
l
a c 312 à CPUs
a c 128 À AMD
November 14, 2012 8:42:44 PM

DarkSable said:
That sounds like a faulty sensor - those little bugs are almost never reliable, in any platform.

Thanks for the quick reply. I've put together quite a few builds over the years, but never had a CPU temp sensor that simply read 0C or 1C, then jumped up scale to the teens, twenties, and back down again. I found a review here: http://www.overclockers.com/amd-trinity-a10-5800k-apu-r... that seems to be describing what I'm seeing.
m
l
a c 117 à CPUs
November 14, 2012 8:43:32 PM

Similar stuff happens with other AMD and Intel CPUs.

The thermal sensors are not calibrated and are highly non-linear below a certain die-specific minimum temperature. If you look around, you can see people reporting 15C core temperature on Intel CPUs using air-cooling with 20-25C room temperature which is physically impossible.

So that sort of problem is not AMD or APU specific.
m
l
!